• punkamisto - May 26, 2013 5:24 a.m.

To be honest I´m not impressed with any of these new generation consoles. Wii U, Ps4 or Xbox one..I think the real winner here are PCs which keep boosting better specs and gaming experience, with one or two exceptions, but consoles are getting less and less exclusives. For ex. I can already play Dark Souls on PC when it was only a PS3 exclusive, or Alan Wake that only belonged to XBOX. Just plug in a controller and voila, it´s like a console but with better graphics and faster. Sure I know it can get expensive having a good pc and all, but its completely worth it for me, not to mention most indie games are on PC and Mods also. Skyrim and Fallout, for ex. are better on PC since there are tons of mods that makes great games into even greater games. To sum it up, I really think PCs are the best platform for gaming nowdays and consoles will have to dig deeper to keep up with it. Ok now everyone can come and say that consoles are better and blah blah blah :P
  • DeafAtheist - May 26, 2013 9:38 p.m.

Oh, and last time I checked PC games weren't capable of responding to voice and motion controls.
  • BladedFalcon - May 26, 2013 11:24 p.m.

Yes, because voice commands and motion controls have proven to be invaluable, and a must have for good, non-gimmicky games. *rolls eyes* Both are implements that once the novelty wears off, so far do absolutely nothing that a control or a mouse and keyboard can't do better and faster.
  • Redeater - May 26, 2013 11:37 p.m.

Ooh you are in for such a scolding when his Xbone lets him form another inaccurate and incoherent rant by translating his voice to text. Wait.....you mean computers were capable of that years ago? Fun fact: I had an Intel camera that tracked my movement and let me play mini games like bumping balloons (pretty much most Kinect games these days). You know how long ago that was? 2000. I play games on consoles 90% of the time and I'm not pro PC in the slightest but this guy.........his arguments scare the hell out of me because there is a marginal chance it reflects the filthy, ignorant opinions of the general public.
  • BladedFalcon - May 27, 2013 7:18 a.m.

Yeeeep... Most likely they are -.- I mean, just take a look at that charming "charliedude" fellow above us, and despair :P
  • DeafAtheist - May 27, 2013 9:44 p.m.

Oh? I'd like to see how one can play Dance Central or Your Shape with a mouse and keyboard. Fact is that consoles have expanded the possibilities for gaming.
  • BladedFalcon - May 27, 2013 10:36 p.m.

...So a single genre that basically boils down to something you could just as well does in real life equals expanding the possibilities of gaming? That's rich. Dancing games like dance central "expand" on gaming the same way Guitar Hero,, Rock Band, and Dance Dance Revolution did before. Which is to say, not at all. It's a novelty genre, and yes, the Kinect is actually pretty good for that kind of game, but if you seriously think that Your Shape and Dance Central will expand on anything beyond the genre they are already using, you're simply delusional.
  • DeafAtheist - May 27, 2013 11:33 p.m.

You're kidding right? Sure I could spend hundreds of dollars in real life on dance classes rather than paying $50 for a Kinect game. Or I could spend hundreds of dollars on a personal trainer rather than $50 on a Kinect game to get in better shape. On top of hiring a babysitter or putting my kid in daycare while I took these dance classes or hired this personal trainer instead of using Kinect in my own home. Because as a single parent I've just got that kind of money to burn. Novelty, huh? I think it's YOU that's the delusional one. As for Guitar Hero and Rockband... that doesn't teach you shit. It has no practical value. It's a glorified QTE. It does not teach you how to actually play any music on those instruments the way Kinect can teach you dance moves or help you get in better shape. The only game that actually teaches you how to play a guitar is Ubisoft's Rocksmith.
  • BladedFalcon - May 28, 2013 5:50 a.m.

That's nice if you think those games are equal to taking actual dancing or exercises, and I won't deny the convenience and the cost it saves you. That still doesn't make it any less of a novelty. What proof? here are the sales of each Dance Central so far: -Dance Central 1 = 2.98m -Dance Central 1 = 1.93m -Dance Central 1 = 0.60m A real, genre defining, industry pushing game or genre would sell increasingly more, or at least, retain a constant margin of popularity with each iteration. A fad, or novelty series sells less and less with each iteration. Just like it's shown here with the Dance Central Series. Which, btw, what I was comparing it with Rock Band or Dance Dance Central. I wasn't talking about the merits of each game, I was talking about the fact that games such as this are always isolated genres and phenomenons. And not nearly as much of a big deal or important to the industry as a whole, like you would like to delude yourself into thinking.
  • DeafAtheist - May 30, 2013 3:37 a.m.

Wait, you equate importance with popularity and sales? Wow what a sad way of categorizing genres in an industry. So by your definition of "novelty" you means something that doesn't sell very well or isn't very popular, and therefore isn't important to the industry. That's not how I was looking at it. Novelty to me is something that is gimmicky, and has no real practical use. Like for example the way voice commands are set up in Defiance with Kinect. Unlike Mass Effect 3's voice commands in Defiance you have to push down on the D-Pad before making the command. What really is the point of pushing a button AND using your voice when you can just push a damn button alone to do the same task? To me THAT is a novelty. It's not a novelty in Mass Effect 3 though because there are disabled gamers that might find it easier to be able to use voice commands in lieu of pressing a button especially for gamers that are missing fingers or entire hands. Such things can greatly improve their accessibility and therefore their enjoyment of the game. Just because there is a small market for Kinect games like Dance Central doesn't mean they are just a novelty. It simply means there is a smaller market that is interested in that genre. Call of Duty is a crap game that is pretty much a repeat of the previous game before it just slapped with a new title, even COD fanboys recognize this fact but they keep buying them every year regardless. Call of Duty ads little to the gaming industry despite it's huge sales numbers. It adds no innovation or creativity. Despite those huge sales numbers it's a novelty game simply for the fact that it adds little value to the game industry beyond mindless, senseless casual entertainment. So I respectfully disagree with you dude. Sales numbers might be important to the companies that sell the games for profits, but it doesn't make a game better than one that sells fewer numbers. There are plenty of excellent and much better games than Call of Duty that only sell a fraction of COD's sales figures. What is important to the industry is innovation, progress, creativity, and new technology, not sales numbers.
  • BladedFalcon - May 30, 2013 5:57 a.m.

"What is important to the industry is innovation, progress, creativity, and new technology, not sales numbers. " Tell that to Microsoft, Activision,Square Enix, EA, and pretty much any publisher nowadays. The entire reason why everyone is rallying against the Xbone right now, it's because it sounds like it's geared precisely to just consume money, more than anything else. I don't disagree with you in that what SHOULD matter is those things, but the reality is that whether we like it or not, sales numbers ARE important, because that's ultimately what dictates where the industry is going. And so far, that direction means the industry puts far less effort in making motion controlled games be actually original, functional and clever, and more into engineering them to make a quick buck for the most part.
  • DeafAtheist - May 30, 2013 3:45 a.m.

Oh and I never said that games like Your Shape or Dance Central were equal to taking classes, just that they were cheaper and easier alternatives. I've seen some people who play Dance Central become really skilled at dance moves they never knew prior to playing the game. I've also seen people following the regiments of a game like Your Shape and losing tons of weight... they do the jobs they're designed to do quite effectively when the games themselves are well-designed. This makes them a practical and welcome addition to the video game industry despite the fact that there is a much smaller market for those games than for first person shooters.
  • DeafAtheist - May 30, 2013 4:05 a.m.

Oh and another point. You equate sales with importance to the game industry right? Well the Wii has outsold both the 360 and PS3. The Wii is also built to use motion controls for the majority of it's games, which you say motion controls are "gimmicky" and bring no value to the industry. Wii sales -100 million (approximately) Xbox sales -80 million (approximately) PS3 sales -75 million (approximately) Xbox and PS3 are nearly neck to neck in sales but Wii has outsold them both by an additional 20 million units. But motion controls are gimmicky, right?
  • BladedFalcon - May 30, 2013 5:51 a.m.

Of course they are gimmicky. Which is why the Wii sold like hot pancakes. It was a very well done advertised gimmick, and the gimmick itself sounded very innovative back then, and attracted a TON of usually non-gaming crowd that didn't know any better to buy it. But it's also a crowd that quickly got bored of the thing, and now you see that as a result with the Wii U, which is selling like crap.
  • Redeater - May 26, 2013 11:26 p.m.

I will give you this.......you are the only person I have ever heard complaining about the lack of motion controls and voice recognition for PC gaming. That might have been an admirable trait had it not been so obvious that you clearly have little to no experience with actual PC gaming.
  • DeafAtheist - May 27, 2013 9:48 p.m.

I didn't complain about them... I rarely use them myself. I do have a Kinect on my Xbox but I don't play motion controlled games much or use my voice much for gaming. I used them a bit in Mass Effect 3 which was kind of fun in combat but tedious for opening doors and picking conversational responses. I also like using voice controls when I watch Netflix. It's nice to be able to just say "Xbox Pause" instead of fumbling for a controller, especially since wireless controllers shut off after 10 mins of inactivity you gotta turn the damn thing on again before you can pause the show you're watching. But I was simply making a point that consoles bring more options to the table even if they aren't as powerful as PCs are.
  • Lordchrome375 - May 30, 2013 8:19 p.m.

But hey if you can afford having a good pc why the hell not? Everyone bitching about how expensive PC gaming is, but what they don't think about is that everytime a new console comes out or if yours happens to break and you have no warranty, your going to buy a new. Thats two 300 to 400 dollar purchase. Then if your a gamer who buys games immediately or even preorder you pay about 60 bucks or more for one game. With PC you buy the computer once, you upgrade as you need to which doesn't cost over 300 bucks and the games from steam are always cheaper.
  • Adi_9194 - May 31, 2013 9:15 a.m.

I'm not saying that consoles are better than PCs, but being a PC Gamer myself, I find it hard to ignore the obvious downsides of the PC. First and foremost, it burns a hole in your pocket. Even if you buy a rig designed specifically to run the top end games available, it becomes old after a few years while consoles can look forward to some stability. Even if you decide to upgrade, the parts can be pricey as hell. And finally, in a country such as mine, such high-end ram and graphics cards are quite hard to come by. And by some miracle you find them, there is usually some douche shopkeeper willing and able to rip you off for all you're worth.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 26, 2013 4:43 a.m.

I don't even know why this article is up. "What looks best (so far)" Well we have the XBONE and the PS4, but wait, we don't know diddly about the PS4, so how are we supposed to know which one is best so far? Is it the XBONE because we actually know something about it, or should we just consider it to be the PS4 because why else would they wait to tell us anything if they're not just sitting there taking in the victory. The way I see it, if you like the XBONE your here to defend the decision (no matter how strange) your leader just made, and if your here vouching for the PS4 well you talking some big stuff and looking around to see where the hell that back up is you ordered. Frankly this is a shit war on a article that came out a bit too soon, might as well start talking about the PS5 and the XBTWO.
  • charliedude - May 27, 2013 3:25 a.m.

I 100 percent agree we dont know shit about the ps4 so what is there to judge. people are just picking ps4 because you only know about the xbox flaws
  • blaxar - May 25, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Ill get each one for exclusives. Other than that it's pc for me However, i wont pay for online for XBOX ONE. I payed for 5 years of 360 and wont continue my subscription after my last 2 years i have stacked on my account. I dont like the XBOX One since its centered around TV DVR services. I want my consoles for gaming only. Anyways, PS4 i more designed for gaming so its got most of my attention. However, I'll get both consoles for exclusives. other than that, i get my games for PC. Just like i did for the 360 and PS3 era.
  • kingraven24 - May 25, 2013 11:31 a.m.

It's still way too early to tell which console wins this thing. Silly article really. Microsoft strategically placed their reveal close to E3 so they could show off the entertainment stuff first, then use E3 to talk about the place of the 360 going forward and tons of new gameplay footage. Why the haters don't understand that is beyond me. I guess haters gonna' hate.
  • Bond-JamesBond - May 25, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Sega Dreamcast FTW!!! Honestly tho , these console wars are lame and childish. I remember arguing about the SNES being better than the Genesis but I was 9 YEARS OLD! I'll buy an Xbox One simply because I love Forza and Halo. It's all about what makes you happy and xbox consoles have never let me down. I figure I can always buy a PS4 if I'm not satisfied but till this day I haven't had a reason to buy a Sony. That's just me tho. On a more important note, may god bless all the fallen soldiers and they're families. Cheers
  • Triptideom - May 25, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I will buy both, and get back to you in a year and a half. Deciding factors will include, but not be exclusive to; graphics(duh), keyboard/mouse compatibility, price of of network. What I don't care about is making old games new, c.i.p. Ace Combat Assault Horizon, stop using badass titles to dupe us into buying crap, give us the games we love with better graphics and customizability, if your gonna change it...change the title too. Those are just opinions...however, I speak for the entire console gaming community when I say "PC gamers can assign any game action to any keyboard or mouse button they want, why can't I. COME ON!!!! IF I WANT TO JUMP WITH THE D-PAD WHY CAN'T I?!?!?! I don't want to jump with the D-pad...just sayin