Topics

Android Ouya

We Recommend

• Divine Paladin - July 10, 2012 11:21 p.m.

Not many non-indie developers are gonna wanna develop for yet another platform. Not to mention the console will have to license for these games, and this console would be competing for shelf space against the big three. It's a noble attempt, but just like the Steambox, it will sadly fall flat on its face. I'd probably get it, but if I wanted to get indie games/open source games, I'd play PC.
  • Travia220 - July 11, 2012 2:01 a.m.

There is no Steambox..
  • Divine Paladin - July 11, 2012 10:59 a.m.

Just like the Steambox would*
  • therawski - July 11, 2012 7:52 a.m.

You forgot to read the articles. Developers would be developing for Android, not a new platform. Also there will be no need for licensing. From what I understand the Tegra is a pretty sweet cpu/gpu combo chip, so for someone that wants to pay $99 for system and not $500+ it's incredibly affordable.
  • Divine Paladin - July 11, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Developers would be developing for Android, and most of the Android games are written in Java, a new language for most large developers. Most third party developers would need to be "persuaded" to come over to an entirely new console, because I think only Bethesda would like the concept of open source games enough to make a different version. I can only see this succeeding with the indie market, and even then, who knows. I can't see any blockbuster titles other than Minecraft appearing on this console, as much as I would like to see a fourth competitor in the market. (Also, I didn't forget to read the articles on the Kickstarter; I read other articles that weren't from the horse's mouth because I'd rather have objective information than a subjective PR article.) One thing I will note that I like is the fact that it has 1 GB of RAM. Consoles, although they use RAM much more efficiently than PCs, still need more RAM, and I'm still hoping the 8th Gen consoles do break the 1GB mark.
  • angelusdlion - July 11, 2012 5:22 p.m.

It's based on the Android OS, persumbaly that means it'll play all android games...
  • Divine Paladin - July 11, 2012 6:55 p.m.

Well, yes, that'd be pretty obvious. However, there have been a few similar consoles that have done this before Ouya, and I haven't seen any of them succeed, either.
  • paul212 - July 10, 2012 10:19 p.m.

Much rather pay 99bucks for this then an expensive tablet that forces me to use crappy touch controls to play awesome games like dead trigger and modern combat!
  • GamesRadarMakesMeFeelOLD - July 10, 2012 9:24 p.m.

I wonder if they had settle with Microsoft yet on patents? Most companies that are using Android have already.
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 11:04 p.m.

I have a feeling they are going to get hammered by Licensing fees. Just another thing they haven't talked about and so forth. These things are going to be very important. The current hardware cost for this console is going to exceed 99$ to manufacture.. so they are already selling at a lose and then at that on top of licensing fees.
  • avery78 - July 10, 2012 6:58 p.m.

Sounds interesting but I'll stick to my PC for gaming.
  • ThatGamerDude - July 10, 2012 6:43 p.m.

Interesting design and concept but I would like to see more before judging this any further. I just wonder how they plan on dealing with those "hackers" they mentioned if they ever go out of control with the console.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - July 10, 2012 6:09 p.m.

This just proves that there are way to many disgusting casuals lurking in the woodwork And of course it's a shitty console, where else would they go
  • tiben36 - July 10, 2012 5:32 p.m.

so...its gonna play angry birds and jumping character games? shit, even the 3ds is more powerful than that, and its pretty low power
  • tiben36 - July 10, 2012 5:35 p.m.

oh, and, btw, remember the gizmondo looks like that kind of idea i call this : "a bad idea"
  • Travia220 - July 10, 2012 5:40 p.m.

Actually it reminds me of the Phantom Console.. It had similar ideas and it turned into vaporware.
  • tiben36 - July 10, 2012 7:26 p.m.

i meant in the shaddy business part of it but, yeah, i do remember the phantom damn, that would've been a piece of shit if it ever got released
  • lilj805 - July 10, 2012 4:53 p.m.

Would like to know more about this
  • Mooshon - July 10, 2012 4:43 p.m.

Negative comments a bit premature boys. Judging by the way it smashed through it's 950k kickstarter goal to $1.4M and counting on the first day there looks to be a huge appetite for this. You're right that the specs are very much current gen but it's not really the point on this one. The open source aspect is what is grabbing people I'd say. Whether it properly takes off though will be purely down to added services and backing of the larger indie devs. Looks to have snagged Minecraft & Twitch TV already so not doing too badly. What interests me though is that with any new idea it is always the 'second' company launching a product, (to the now prepared market) that does it properly. Roll on the Steam box!