• NubberzTheHedgehog - July 16, 2011 2:25 a.m.

Did some of this to my laptop, and it can actually run MNC now :D
  • FizzyPop - July 16, 2011 2:22 a.m.

How to get into PC gaming 101: STOP BEING AN IGNORANT CONSOLE FANBOY (AND LEARN THE REAL FACTS) p.s. I own plenty consoles and a gaming pc
  • CommandantOreo - July 16, 2011 2:12 a.m.

just buy TF2. You are now officially a pc gamer!
  • NightCrawler_358 - July 16, 2011 2 a.m.

oh! can i also say that YESTERDAY I had a Dell employee come in to fix the faulty hinge on my Alienware M11x, and he replaced my whole screen, and all the plating free of charge! Now it's like I have a whole new computer!
  • Valcrist - July 16, 2011 1:59 a.m.

Also I forgot something, if you are really really low on money (like me) there are 2 very easy ways to fix that: 1.- Run games on standard, or perhaps ninimal settings: I know a lot of ppl don´t like that idea, but if you really care about gameplay It doesnt have to stop you; sure the witcher looks gorgeus on ultra, but exatctly the reason it lets me run it on lower settings is the reason that I can still play it even if I dont have the reccommended settings 2.- Buy "old games": This applies to consoles as well; If you are willing to you can enjoy games from 1 or 2 years back on a current pc and most of the time they will run, perhaps not at max, but at an ok level. I can run L4D2 on a standard non-gaming laptop just fine, and it´s a great fun. err anyway, that´s it, if you are willing to, you can save even more on pc games
  • NightCrawler_358 - July 16, 2011 1:57 a.m.

I've always been a console lover, (still am) but a year or so ago I bought an Alienware to play mainly Left 4 Dead since I have no X-Box, and since then I've played lots of TF2, L4D, StarCraft 2, and all that jazz. I love the PC community for some reason, and I still have a ton of fun even playing a not so great game like Zombie Panic Source! I'd say PC has taken over as my main system, but i still play my PS3 for singleplayer stuff.
  • Valcrist - July 16, 2011 1:53 a.m.

Ever since reeading the article about how to play RTS games in a good way I´ve been waiting for you to write this one, great job. Presonally I would have dwelled a bit more on the price issue, since a lot of guys do say that a pc is more expensive, you could have mentioned the big steam sale a week ago, or even updated a picture of the frontpage with some of the fantastic deals that were held there. I got GTA alongside the liberty city stories expansion for 10$, or mass effect 1 for 5, or (as we all know) team fortress 2 is free. You could have actually added a little in the MMO section about Free to play/micro transactio titles (WoW fans will say they are thrash, but if Valve made TF2 run on that system then you know it´s because of something....) Err anyways, great article, awaiting eagerly your next one
  • RedHarlow - July 16, 2011 1:41 a.m.

Some people are ridiculous. If you drop $800-1000 on a PC and it will last you for years to come. I bought my PC back in 2008 for $1000, and I just upgraded my graphics card for the first time since purchase, and I'll be set for another 3-4 years.
  • BackwaterRifle - July 16, 2011 1:35 a.m.

thanks for the article Matt, now my old ass IBM I built can run even faster. Also windows users, if you have not already get google chrome, a way faster web browser than internet explorer
  • CitizenThom - July 16, 2011 1:25 a.m.

I played Warcraft 3 on my current computer, but to play current games that are out... I need a new graphics card, which... likely requires a new motherboard unless they still have VGA cards? And if I get a new motherboard, I'll need a new speed of RAM, not to mention right now, I'm running on 768 mb of memory ha ha, even if they were the correct 'make' for the new motherboard. I've been having a tough time of finding a processor+motherboard+graphics card+new RAM for under $300. Looking for a DirectX 11 compatible 1GB VRAM on the card, as that's what I'm seeing most games recommending.
  • Monty151 - July 16, 2011 1:21 a.m.

I wholeheartedly agree with every word. PC is superior in almost every way possible. And Steam is amazing, just having to wait a week or so to buy a full priced game because there is always a sale! That is how I got into it. Unfortunately my friends are fools and cannot wrap their heads around a keyboard and mouse, or the idea of buying a full priced game that is cheaper than lunch... =( oh well
  • EnragedTortoise1 - July 16, 2011 1:11 a.m.

Craigslist has some friggin' amazing deals... I got a 900$ Asus laptop for 300$. 'Nuff said.
  • ChrisCultista - July 16, 2011 1:09 a.m.

PC gaming forever! People who say 'it is obsolete after a month' is just plain wrong. Also how does it feel to be behind only two years after release of a 'new' console? Prablem console peoples? I also have a 360. But that is only for exclusives.
  • Rek - July 16, 2011 1:03 a.m.

The lack of team fortress 2 in your Good Games section saddens me.
  • TheRandomFool - July 16, 2011 1:01 a.m.

In addition to all of that, who says you absolutely must have the best graphics possible for every game? Even if you have a pretty bad card, turn the resolution down a few notches and all is fine. Additionally, all the money you save using Steam will make up for any additional price.
  • TeaserTuesday - July 16, 2011 12:52 a.m.

Multiple security programs? Red flag Keast, that will kill your system's performance.
  • Hydrohs - July 16, 2011 12:46 a.m.

I only found one issue, when you were talking about RAM limitations you were slightly off. The limitation isn't in the operating system itself but in the architecture. 32-bit operating systems can only address roughly 4 Gigs of RAM, 64-bit remedies this problem. Yes, most people with XP are probably running 32-bit, since 64-bit XP was mostly useless for consumers. And pretty much anything now is 64-bit. But older/lower-end Vista or 7 machines could be 32-bit as well. Oh, and just to address defragging on SSDs. There's no need to, since there's no moving parts it doesn't mater where your data is, the SSD can read it at the same speed regardless. Defragging can actually shorten the lifespan of the memory, writing data puts wear on the modules.
  • GamesRadarMichaelGrimm - July 16, 2011 12:46 a.m.

As a member of the PC Gaming Master Race, I chortle heartily at you console gamers and your ignorance/poverty.
  • Giinjii - July 16, 2011 12:44 a.m.

Why thank you sir!
  • civver - July 16, 2011 12:42 a.m.

I like how the author thinks console gamers don't have PCs already for document processing, internet access, and other stuff (and last time I checked a good graphics card wasn't required for those). Stop with the argument that you can use the PC for other uses. If you're buying a new PC you're pretty much just buying it for the gaming purposes.