• xidax121 - January 1, 2014 3:23 a.m.

It’s good news if they lower the prices on built retail ones, and made their specs a THOUSAND times better… But that is probably not going to happen lol.. http://www.xidax.com/desktops
  • michael-last - March 8, 2013 9:48 p.m.

The biggest mistake people make is trying to game on a laptop. Companies will label them "gaming Laptops" and the salesman will swear up and down that they are powerful. Every laptop I've seen is either underpowered (and not terribly upgradeable) or gets as hot as a thousand suns and melts hard drives and other important things. You can start with a cheap desktop, which will at least play games on medium-low settings, then slowly upgrade it as you have the money; and you are not going to have the heat issues. If you build your own and pick your sockets/features wisely you can keep your desktop cutting edge, or at least competitive for many years. A desktop is just a better gaming experience as well, since you can get a quality keyboard and mouse as well as a large monitor (or just use your tv).
  • Green_Shade - January 11, 2013 11:04 a.m.

The worst problem I've had with installing an old game on a new computer was with the Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale), they would BSOD every time at the end of the install, it turns out Safe Mode is the only way to get them running on Win7. And as far as it goes, modding is sometimes a superior experience to the original game, such as in Oblivion, with total conversions like Nehrim or extra content like the companion Vilja or the entire province of Elsweyr or Valenwood.
  • majormoses117 - August 15, 2011 11:22 p.m.

why is this article under PS Vita?
  • VagueRaconteur - July 20, 2011 11:27 p.m.

For anyone on the edge - my graphics card costs £30 to this date, and I was able to play Mass Effect 2 at the highest settings. No word of a lie. The only thing that won't work well with a graphics card that bad - games with a lot of layers. They just won't run fluently on anything higher than medium settings. But, this guy's right. If you don't have Shogun 2 Total War, you've missed out. I've played the total war series since the beginning, and they're the only games I can play over and over again.
  • Hubadaeus - July 20, 2011 3:05 p.m.

I just wish I had the money for a computer that doesn't only play Minecraft
  • jmcgrotty - July 19, 2011 8:33 a.m.

"I own all three consoles" There are only 2 consoles, and some worthless Nintendo crap.
  • firepainter - July 19, 2011 7:45 a.m.

So uh, I jumped in and I sorta regret it. I suppose I just didn't do my homework right. Thing is, I spent about 1300 dollars on an xps 15 laptop this past summer. Thought the specs--6 gigs of ram, 500 gigs memory, and a geforce 525 card--would be capable of running the Witcher on low settings. So I thought. After experiencing game crippling lag in the opening scenes, I downloaded the latest drivers, defraggled my laptop, did a variety of things the internet thought would help. My guess is that it's my graphic card, which being in a laptop, I can't replace even if I wanted to. So, is there something I could do, or did I just waste 50 bucks on something I could have waited for on the 360? Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I bought it off steam, if that helps anything.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - July 18, 2011 9:52 p.m.

Blackviper's tweaks vary depending on your OS. Win 7: http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/ XP: http://www.blackviper.com/2008/05/19/black-vipers-windows-xp-x86-32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/ Various instructions are at the top and the services grid is farther down the page.
  • lovinmyps3 - July 18, 2011 9:13 p.m.

I just want to play The Witcher 2.
  • HOOfan_1 - July 18, 2011 4:09 p.m.

Obsolete within a month? Talk about hyperbole on a grand scale. I could have bought a computer in 2005 when the Xbox 360 came out that would still play most games available today. THe Xbox360 launched at $400, you could have bought 8 or 9 games for your original Xbox instead of buying a 360...
  • HankVenture - July 18, 2011 12:45 p.m.

All I play on my PC is MineCraft and I LOVE IT because of it being on a PC and able to get mods, So HOPEFULLY with this guide I will be able to get a PC that is able to play these games and enjoy a whole new part of gaming that I have wanted to experience. Thank you Matt Keast
  • CitizenWolfie - July 18, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Truly great article! I'm not a PC gamer purely for the fact that I DO have a crappy PC but even if I don't bother using it for games I will definitely check out those links to speed up my PC. I always worry about stuff like defrag programs and cleanup applications so it's nice to have some recommended
  • Kameltoemunch - July 18, 2011 7:27 a.m.

@copedude: Sorry, but everything you said is pure ignorance. Computer hardware doesn't become obsolete in a month. It does require upgrading every year or two, but PC games and their graphics are at least a full generation ahead of consoles. Seriously, the difference is like night and day. Secondly, PC games are significantly cheaper than console games because of sales. Steam, with its' sales, is the holy grail of gaming. Generally you don't get deals on brand new games, but I would gladly wait and pay 20% of the price than blow $65 (w/ tax) on an inferior product. To put this in perspective, I sunk 200+ hours into BF:BC2 on Xbox. During the Steam Summer Sale I bought the PC version for $5 and haven't looked back. It is smoother, larger, more intense and the graphics are far better. I have a 360 and love it, but gain some real knowledge before you just let things fall out of your mouth. Better yet, come to the better side. Also, if you really want to know: your console has been obsolete for 4 years, by your definition. 360/PS3 are nearly two generations old. Time for new hardware.
  • mike.brrrr - July 18, 2011 5:07 a.m.

I like how people in the comments keep talking about how much money they save on PC games as though used games/bargain bins/online stores don't also exist to sell titles for consoles at super cheap prices. Steam didn't invent the concept of savings, guys.
  • Yeager1122 - July 18, 2011 4:11 a.m.

I like playing games on my pc but overall i prefer console gaming especially since none of my friends are pc gamers which is a major factor.
  • zubb1 - July 18, 2011 3:12 a.m.

hahahhahha! got my pc for 800 hundred an plays toal war2 fine is my favorite pc game and i didnt know witcher was for 360 thanks.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - July 18, 2011 1:14 a.m.

If anyone needs a gateway PC game, go for Team Fortress 2. YOu don't need anything near a top-end system, it is top=notch, and it just became free. Start playing it now if you want to see what he's saying about FPS's being made for a mouse. And go for the sniper class, a controller-controlled sniper is meh, but a trained mouse-controlled sniper is nothing short of incredible.
  • Bobishungry - July 17, 2011 10:15 p.m.

I just made a steam account a week ago and i bought terraria and fallout: New Vegas. I had never played an FPS on the pc before and at first it was confusing to get used to using a keyboard and mouse but now i see that it is way easier to kill stuff with a pc. My only problem is that when i play New Vegas i get some lag. I'm not even sure if it is my computer or just the bugs in the game. anyone wanna help?
  • wolfboy20 - July 17, 2011 9:54 p.m.

Hey GR do you know where that list is on blackviper is?? because i cannot find it and i need more performance!