Google+

Force Unleashed director leaves LucasArts to form his own indie studio

The man at the helm of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, along with another LucasArts executive, have opened the doors at a brand new game studio.

Haden Blackman left LucasArts at the end of July without official plans on what his next venture would be. Today, he confirmed that Fearless Studios is open for business. The new game development studio is being formed alongside fellow LucasArts ex-employee Cedrick Collomb, who was the developer's director of engineering.

Fearless currently has no games on its official docket, but Blackman says his goal is to create "story-driven games designed to leave an impact on players and the industry." His most notable contribution to the industry so far has been the Force Unleashed series, which, while bold, has thusfar received lukewarm reviews from most outlets.

Perhaps Blackman thinks he can do better if he gets to build it all from the ground up. "By taking bold creative risks and tackling new challenges, Fearless Studios will fuse the best of story and gameplay to immerse, engage, and affect players just as deeply as our favorite films and novels," he said.

Collomb, who will serve as the new company's co-president and chief technology officer, said Fearless Studios promises to use the "most advance game technologies" available, in a way that is meaningful and worthwhile to gamers.

Whether or not Fearless Studios takes off, at least Blackman and Collomb will get to work on something other than Star Wars games. Seriously, that's gotta get old after a while.

[Source: Industry Gamers]

Oct 14, 2010

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed review
Unlikely to bring order to the galaxy...

 

 

Force Unleashed producer admits PS3 version sucks, says he likes 360 better
Hey, at least he's honest

 

 


Force Unleashed II canceled on PSP. Does anybody care?
Developer's likely concerns over game profitability spell out deeper woes for Sony's handheld

Topics

Star Wars

8 comments

  • NeelEvil - October 15, 2010 10:21 a.m.

    So man who makes mediocre game makes own studio? I wouldn't hold my breath for anything decent from them.
  • elpurplemonkey - October 15, 2010 7:35 a.m.

    Well, TFU's story was great and the fundamental gameplay was a lot of fun- it just ended up getting old and repetitive. Without ties to Star Wars maybe those problems can be remedied? Then again, without those ties the story might not be as good. We'll see I guess.
  • FauxFurry - October 14, 2010 11:06 p.m.

    Couldn't they have teased us a little with their plans for the future or how much and in what ways they were being creatively stifled during their time at Lucas Arts? That announcement was painfully generic...kind of like StarKiller,come to think of it.
  • ericeraqus - October 14, 2010 10:42 p.m.

    technically xlgirthman is a first douche. so long as the games are good, fearless could be very interesting
  • GamesRadarTylerWilde - October 14, 2010 10:26 p.m.

    They piss us off too. Banning as fast as we can, and working on stopping them altogether.
  • kd1937 - October 14, 2010 10:14 p.m.

    these damn commercial posts piss me off
  • Felixthecat - October 14, 2010 9:40 p.m.

    "FEARLESS STUDIOS" sounds like a crime organisation in Yu-Gi-Oh or something. Anyway, hopefully his studio will make games that are actually challenging to play, and not just throwing around Storm Troopers.
  • XLGirthMan - October 14, 2010 9:21 p.m.

    just wanted to be a douche and get the first comment. lololololol (just to piss off all the "FIRST!!!!" guys)

Showing 1-8 of 8 comments

Join the Discussion
Add a comment (HTML tags are not allowed.)
Characters remaining: 5000