Topics

Games stealth

• shawksta - October 11, 2012 6:43 a.m.

Great list, ah Good Ol Sly, F*cking Love that series, I cant believe I haven't played the second yet, otherwise the 3rd was fantastic. I expected Sly to be higher though.
  • The_Tingler - October 11, 2012 4:26 a.m.

(Reading through list) Ahh, excellent, one of the Thief games must be No. 1, probably Deadly Shadows instead of II but I'll let that pass since that was multiplatform... WHAT. You... made... a "Best Stealth Games" list... without any of the Thief games. Have you ever played any Stealth games Lorenzo? Because you don't sound like a fan. No Thief, having Assassins Creed II which was great but had minimal stealth, and having the more action-orientated Splinter Cell: Conviction over Chaos Theory? I mean... seriously? I rarely quibble over lists like this since its an author's opinion, but... seriously?!
  • gilgamesh310 - October 11, 2012 5:46 a.m.

I very much agree. The omission of any Thief game and the inclusion of SC Conviction over Chaos Theory or ANY of the previous stealth games really does bring into question whether or not he even knows what a stealth game is. Assassin's Creed, Batman and Dishonored being included and no Tenchu is also ridiculous. I know they are good games but they are barely stealth games.
  • sterling1210 - October 11, 2012 12:33 a.m.

Thief, Thief and Thief. I seem to remember Manhunt being fairly stealth-heavy, although not a game that should be in the top dozen, it was brutally engaging.
  • samsneeze - October 11, 2012 12:14 a.m.

Lol, Splinter Cell Conviction. Then it got worse, you guys actually put Assassin's Creed II up there. That game, while good, can barely be called stealthy in any way.
  • bradw26 - October 10, 2012 10:14 p.m.

umm.. THIEF anyone???? most classic stealth game ever made IMO.
  • pl4y4h - October 10, 2012 7:39 p.m.

ah....Snake Eater. Good times, goooooood times.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 10, 2012 6:19 p.m.

I usually don't comment on these lists in a negative way but anywho... How in the heck did Deus Ex: Human Revolution make this list and not the original Deus Ex? Honestly, Deus Ex:HR made stealth extremely easy. The original just had so much more to it if you were doing the stealth approach, including being much more difficult. HR just decided to give you a ton of weapons to make stealth, and even non-lethal stealth a joke.
  • ultimatepunchrod - October 10, 2012 5:52 p.m.

I'd have to go with Sly 1 over 2. The first was a much more straightforward platformer, and the others went more for an open world approach. They were still good, but I always liked the first the best.
  • miles-koehler - October 10, 2012 5:21 p.m.

the fact that splinter cell conviction is on this list instead of, oh say, CHAOS THEORY, makes this list lose immediate credibility. Conviction is an action game compared to CT. I dont like to sound butthurt but this doesnt make sense.
  • MadMan - October 10, 2012 5:41 p.m.

I agree. If you are talking about stealth games why the hell would you have Conviction above any other SC? Doesn't make sense.
  • BladedFalcon - October 10, 2012 8:06 p.m.

Because the "stealth" in the previous SC games wasn't so much Dependant on actual skill or reading the opponent and the environment, so much as it was just a boring exercise of trial and error. I'd invite people to actually play them again today, see if they really hold up...
  • gilgamesh310 - October 11, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Chaos Theory perfected that. There's minimal trial and error in that. Even if there is trial and error anyway, it doesn't mean they aren't stealth games. For whatever flaws the first two games have, they are much more stealth games than Conviction is. That game didn't even have a proper identify, which seems to be a common trend among lots of modern games.
  • BladedFalcon - October 11, 2012 9 a.m.

"Even if there is trial and error anyway, it doesn't mean they aren't stealth games. " Yep, but the same way, even if they are stealth games, doesn't mean they are the BEST stealth games. And I'm sorry, but there's still plenty of trial and error in CT, and it's equally boring and slow paced. Just because there's more stealth involved, doesn't necessarily make it best stealth. Of course, what makes it "best" stealth is something more subjective. But still, personally, i feel that the stealth there is in SC: Conviction is far better executed than in the previous SC games. Mainly because it's just more intuitive and better paced. I am of the opinion that good stealth is not the one in which you wait idly in the shadows until the NPCS in the game decide to turn in the direction in which you can pass undetected. But the one in which you're constantly moving, outwitting AND outmaneuvering your enemy and manipulating the world around you to your advantage, and again, even if most of the stealth in SC culminated in shootouts, it still was necessary to succeed in the game, and it made a good job in making you feel like an actual hunter.
  • gilgamesh310 - October 11, 2012 9:43 a.m.

COnsidering that there hasn't been all that many true stealth games made, the Splinter Cell series is definitely among the best of them. Assassin's Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum/City and probably Dishonored(haven't played it yet, so can't say for sure) may be great games but stealth plays too small a role in them for them to be considered good stealth games. It's like calling RE 4 a superior horror games to SH 2. SC 1-3 are all about stealth. It defines the games strongly. MGS 3 is a great game too but that actual stealth itself isn't well implemented and never has been in the series. Judging the games because you are clearly too impatient to to put up with the slow pace isn't a fair way of looking at the genre. Sam Fisher isn't meant to be a hunter either. He doesn't even like to kill people, as he states in the previous games. He does his best to stay out of the guards way. That's what he's all about. Thief 2 is easily number 1 anyway. There is no finer stealth game than that, even to this day.
  • BladedFalcon - October 11, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Have you ever heard of "more isn't necessarily better"? That can perfectly apply here, just because the previous SC games are only about stealth, doesn't make the actual stealth better than games that implement the stealth in only some sections. Furthermore, maybe Sam Fisher IS out of character in SC. Conviction, but honestly, it fits better for the game-play. And it's not that I'm too impatient. I can put up with a lot of slow paced moments in games... (I spent hours trying to get all the medals in some of B:AC's challenge stealth stages, which required you to NEVER be seen, so don't tell me i don't have patience.) As long as there's a point to them. the first SC games simply weren't fun OR rewarding, it's not just that it was too trial and error, Sam itself controlled like shit, he was slow and clunky, and the camera in some of the games was atrocious. (I'm looking at you, double agent.) It's obvious to me though, that we're gonna have to agree to disagree here, since our difference in taste is starkly different, more so when you said that the stealth in MGS3 wasn't well implemented... Which to me, that is complete bullshit.
  • gilgamesh310 - October 11, 2012 12:27 p.m.

But it is better. The stealth in SC 1-3(especially 3) is very deep. You have varying light levels and in Chaos Theory even sound levels to take into account. These features add greatly to the experience. In AC 2 you have fucking eagle vision that saps any tension out of the experience. I like the 'stealth' in the batman games but for different reasons. It makes you feel like a hunter but some times it's better to feel like the prey. Like the stealth in AC 2, it lacks any real challenge or tension. There was nothing wrong with the way Sam controlled. He can move quite fast if you get him to run. In MGS 3 I spent mroe time running and gunning than sneaking. The stealth itself isn't anywhere as deep or refined as in SC or Thief, or even tenchu. That whole camouflage aspect was a really tedious affair. You have to constantly go into the menus to change. That just put me off of bothering completely as the game went on. MGS 4 handled that aspect better though.
  • YourWorstEnemyGaming - October 10, 2012 5:16 p.m.

With Dishonored, Mark of the Ninja, Assassin's Creed 3 (Which looks like it'll have improved stealth this time around, where the other games had basically no stealth) and Hitman: Absolution (Which looks FANTASTIC) all being games from this year, it looks like the stealth genre is making a comeback
  • RedHarlow - October 10, 2012 4:50 p.m.

I thought stealth in the original Sniper Elite was waaay better than it was in V2. Pretty much everything was better in the original.
  • Memph - October 10, 2012 3:56 p.m.

None of the Thief games, what the f*ck?