• talleyXIV - January 9, 2014 8:09 p.m.

"It felt like the GameCube all over again." Say what you want about the Wii U but the GameCube's library is awesome.
  • BladedFalcon - January 9, 2014 8:37 p.m.

...It really isn't. As someone who bought the GC early on and sold it 2 years after, there were definitely a few titles that stood out, but it's overall offering compared to other consoles is far from the best.
  • MrJP - January 10, 2014 7:27 a.m.

Compared to other systems it may be lacking in numbers, but when you actually start to look there were at least 40/50 stellar titles and many of them were exclusives. If you didn't keep one for long or play many games on it you may have really missed out and should consider trying to find some of these if you haven't: -Metroid Prime 1 and 2 -Wind Waker and Twilight Princess -Double Dash -Skies or Arcadia -Baten Kaitos 1+2 -Paper Mario -Mario Sunshine -Resident evil 0, the remake and 4 -MGS Twin Snakes -Soul Calibur 2 -Pikmin 1+2 -Smash Bros Melee -F-Zero GX -Rogue Leader -Viewtiful Joe 1+2 -Super Monkeyball 1+2 -Eternal Darkness -Ikaruga -Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon It even had some decent ports like the Splinter Cell and Timesplitters games. Needless to say, that for me, it had enough to stop me ever jumping ship.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 8:36 a.m.

Actually, the vast majority of the games you listed are games that came out/were available to me during the time I owned it, which is between 2002 and 2004. The only one that came after in that list was Twilight Princess. And that game, along with several others in your list don't really serve as reasons to get a GC since they came out in other consoles. Such as these: -Skies of Arcadia -Resident Evil 4 -Soul Calibur 2 (granted, GC was arguably the best version because of link, but still.) -Viewtiful Joe 1+2 -Ikaruga (Though to be fair, this remained exclusive to the GC for a LOOONG time before it came out in XBLA.) As for the rest of the titles listed, most are first party, and your mileage may vary on how good they really are. Baten Kaitos I played, and it was nice, but it's an utterly forgettable RPG in the grand scheme of JRPGS. (If nothing else, I'm surprised you didn't list Tales of Symphonia, which I'd argue is superior in every way.) And Double Dash and Resident Evil 0 are both... acceptable games at best, but far from the best in either of their respective series. (In other words, you really don't miss much if you didn't play either.) The rest are pretty legit entires, to be sure, (even if some flat out don't appeal to me, like Animal crossing, Pikmin or super monkey ball, but that's a matter of taste, not the game's fault.) But that leaves you with around 15 games... (give or take.) For a console with an active lifespan of at least 5 years, that makes it to roughly 3 worthwhile games per year, if that. I wouldn't call that an overwhelming library by any stretch of the imagination.
  • MrJP - January 11, 2014 4:58 a.m.

My list wasn't exhaustive, just serving to demonstrate some quality games, and to be fair RE 4 and Viewtiful Joe were out on GC first and Skies was a sleeper hit on DC as well so few people had played it I completed Tales of Symphonia amongst others I haven't listed like: Paper Mario 2, Luigi's Mansion, DK Jungle Beat, Waverace, Batallion Wars, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, 1080 Avalanche and lots of other multiplats like the Burnout, Fifa and Medal of Honour series, Beyond G+E, Killer 7, Second Sight, Prince of Persia... Basically it was enough as a stand alone console for some gamers (myself included). I listed 28 titles in my first post (some were sequels, but all good games) and the quick additions here go some way to proving my point that there are/were at least 40/50 stellar titles available on the console.
  • MrJP - January 11, 2014 5:02 a.m.

Oh, and calling Double Dash 'acceptable' is crazy talk - it's a fantastic title.
  • talleyXIV - January 11, 2014 2:16 p.m.

"And Double Dash and Resident Evil 0 are both... acceptable games at best" Really? You're just kind of nitpicking and Mario Kart is generally liked by... everyone every where.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - January 13, 2014 5:42 a.m.

The Resident Evil remake and Zero are the best games Capcom have ever made... I really want them to continue with 2 through Code Veronica in a similar fashion and keep it Nintendo like they did years before but since the Creator branched off from Capcom that most likely will sadly never happen :( If anything those two game should have made any respectable gamer buy the system at the time and it did. Wonderful titles.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - January 9, 2014 9:32 p.m.

Yes it was, still my favorite system and DAT CONTROLLER!
  • talleyXIV - January 9, 2014 8:03 p.m.

My brother bought Walking Dead: Survival Instinct purely because he is a moron who is too lazy to look at reviews before buying a game. He'll throw $50-60 at anything without even peaking at Metacritic.
  • BladedFalcon - January 9, 2014 8:39 p.m.

Tragic thing is that you didn't even need to wait for the reviews or look at metacritic. Just looking at any 5 seconds of footage was enough to let you know how fucking awful the game was.
  • winner2 - January 9, 2014 5:21 p.m.

The sim city image is very fitting.
  • N7Spartan95 - January 9, 2014 4:57 p.m.

After seeing Angry Joe's review of Ride to Hell: Retribution, I knew the title of 2013's worst game could only go to it. The sheer amount of fail on display is astounding. How anybody in the development studio thought it was fit for release is beyond me.
  • shawksta - January 9, 2014 4:38 p.m.

Cant have an anti-awards! No doubt absolutely the Wii U was baren for the whole time, we all hope Nintendo can flex it, especially since there are a lot of games we already know about with no release dates, hopefully we'll see them. Though im intrigued how you guys only stated your problem and interest in first party. It was Nintendo's fault in general into even thinking they should go to #VGX, otherwise its all those buttheads that kept blabbing about "NINTENDO'S SHOWING A WORLD PREMIER", geoff im looking at you. Pokemon X and Y is strange in not having 3D, but 700+ monster models must have accounted for something after all. The 3D it even has is still useless, and this is coming from someone who enjoys playing games in 3D. Poor Mattrick, the young fool, and EA cant seem to control their habit. Adventure Time ETDBIDK had potential, really sucks. Clearly deserved to be given, Ride to Hell Retribution was just, wow, the 24 hour livestream taught all of us something.
  • Doctor_Pancakes - January 9, 2014 3:34 p.m.

I really enjoyed my Wii U this year. More so than my PS3(AM I THE ONLY ON sick of shooters?!)... guess yall missed out Lol
  • Doctor_Pancakes - January 9, 2014 9:33 p.m.

*ONE
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 9, 2014 3:05 p.m.

You guys didn't give the Fanboy award this year huh? Its a hard choice between Nintendo fanboys and hyping their expectations only to bitch about it every single Direct this year, and while its hard to categorize, I'm gonna say Sony fanboys for not just shutting the fuck up about The Last Of Us. We get it its good, but you don't have to make a fucking riot when 3 out of 50 gamesites don't give GOTY to your precious Babysitting zombie game.
  • Cyberninja - January 9, 2014 3:09 p.m.

Xbox fanboys would get it for sure, Mircosoft still sold millions after the reverse of their policies, which shows some very impressive loyalty after being basically told FU
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 9, 2014 4:40 p.m.

I dont see the problem. Microsoft heard the problem and they fixed their shit.
  • pl4y4h - January 9, 2014 2:24 p.m.

Slide 4 is so disrespectful......to Plank. He's oozing with personality. It's almost like we're like on the same wavelength or something.
  • Nick_Pino - January 9, 2014 1:54 p.m.

There's also the "Atrocity Based on a Pretty Cool Film Property," Fast & Furious Showdown, and "The Game Least Likely to Get Any Young Female Into Video Games"—Barbie Dreamhouse Party—which has absolutely ZERO reviews on Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/barbie-dreamhouse-party Well played, Barbie, well played.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 9, 2014 1:49 p.m.

I expected much more hate to be dumped on Knack, which it probably would have deserved. Have to agree with the worst thing about an otherwise great game. By the end, I started taking Coop's (I think it was Coop) advice and giving bad ratings to any mission that required tailing. It was just so many tails. Blech. Also saddens me how Remember Me had all the makings of Ghost Trick x Assassin's Creed but ended up being, well, not that. Missed opportunity. Anti-award idea: Best use of stolen idea: Link Between Worlds for reusing LttP's overworld. Not technically stealing, I know, but work with me here.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 9, 2014 1:21 p.m.

Ah the anti awards. How fitting, heh ride to hell retribution.