• bedelicious - January 10, 2014 4:07 a.m.

What about DmC? I can't decide between writing and PR campaign... Come on, you know it deserves at least one ^^
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 8:41 a.m.

Not really. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the remake, (And in fact, I do think the new Dante to be more annoying than charming) there's nothing that even comes close to bad, much less awful about the game. At worst you can claim it's lesser than any of the other DmCs, but even then it's a technically very sound game.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 9:29 a.m.

Personally, I found at least a few aspects of the game to be quite atrocious. And the way NT handled the PR campaign was just bad. But I understand that not everybody sees it that way xD
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 11:43 a.m.

Exactly what parts of the game you found to be atrocious? kinda hard to know what you're talking about if you don't specify :P And sure, NT and Capcom didn't do a great job with the publicity, but that has nothing to do with the game itself.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 12:03 p.m.

I thought the writing was especially atrocious. The characters were badly written and had awful dialogue. The gameplay, while not super bad on its own, was really bad when compared to previous titles (DMC2 aside) - dumbed down difficulty, color-coded enemies, no lock on, bad framerate, no styles, giving SSS ranks like they are nothing, etc., etc. I just mentioned the PR campaign as a worthy contended for an anti award xD And while it might have a direct correlation with the game quality, when a developer makes such high claims about the quality of the game they are producing, they should really deliver on them... which I think they didn't.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 12:34 p.m.

Eh, to each their own, but I honestly feel like you're exaggerating in all counts. The writing was annoying at times, but it wasn't awful by any means. (For example... watch any video of ride to hell: retribution. THAT is truly awful dialogue.) The gameplay was completely fine on it's own, and even compared to the rest of the series, it wasn't awful. Yes, it wasn't as hard or as technical as say, DMC 3, but the combat was fun and responsive, the lock on wasn't really necessary as the camera usually was positioned where it needed to be. The enemies weren't all color coded, and when they were, it serve a clear game-play purpose, and it was a good way to force you switch up your attacks and strategies. Honestly, most of your complaints feel like it's stuff you dislike because it differs from what the other games did, or your own prejudices about the game, and not so much because the game is actually BAD. I mean, again, look at any of the games that are in this list for being crappy, look at colonial marines, look at ride to hell... Fuck, if you want to see what a BAD action game like DMC looks like, look at say, the Thor game that came out in 2011. THAT is a shitty and atrocious game. With DMC, the most you can say it's that it's just not as good as the previous DMCs, and that's fair. But That doesn't automatically make it a bad game. And again, I don't even like DmC that much, to me it's a 7 out of 10 kind of game, and i thought Metal Gear: Rising was a much more fun game of the same kind of genre, but DmC is STILL a pretty solid game nevertheless.
  • bedelicious - January 10, 2014 2:20 p.m.

That's just how I feel about the game. From my perspective, I can say that you're giving it too much slack. But that's stupid, we can't all have the same opinion about the game, you know xD Is it the worst game ever, or even one of the worst ever? Probably not. But I find it pretty awful in many respects. I wouldn't have liked even it if it was a separate game, but since it isn't, I won't judge it as one. It is a part of the series and to top it off, it was supposed to reinvent and better the franchise, not be a step down in pretty much every respect. But it all comes down to personal opinion. I understand that you think the game is not as bad as I find it to be and I don't have a problem with that at all xD
  • MeanwhileGuy - January 11, 2014 6:40 a.m.

bedelicious, I agree with you. I finally decided to give it a chance when it was added to PS Plus, after a few months of my friend telling me it was pretty good. Hated almost every single second. My main problems were the writing, voice acting and gameplay. I mean, sure, the visuals were nice and often very inventive when depicting Limbo, but nice art direction does not make up for gameplay that is, well, boring. There wasn't a single level I enjoyed enough to replay, apart from a couple I did out of obligation to S/SS rank the whole game (on Nephillim, naturally). Having played the older games and being used to 60fps, I found the combat slow and actually lagged behind my response time. That and the dodge button not cancelling the current animation was ludicrous. The story I found to be a joke, with tons of elements, like the heavy handed and badly written satire, that just didn't feel like DMC. I pretty much gave up on the plot after what Vergil did to Lillith. That was morally repugnant and felt like Ninja Theory trying to outdo MW3 blowing up a kid. "Dante" was also a complete jackass who I felt no empathy with at all. The new voice actor also wasn't a patch on Reuben Langdon. The entire game just felt like such a slap in the face to the previous fans of the series. I fully understand if people like DmC, they're free to have their own opinion. Maybe they didn't like the old games and enjoyed a fresh take on it. I didn't. Not one bit. Also, I find it interesting that Capcom have thrown Ninja Theory under a bus by going from "This is the new Dante. Get used to it." To "Calm down, it's just a younger version, he'll grow into the Dante you know and love." To "Uhh... It's an alternate continuity set in a parallel universe. Yeah, that's it. We're totally not saying this because DmC sold poorly." Sounds like they're retconning and backpedalling as fast as they can. I have a feeling they'll stay silent for a year or so and then bring the series proper back, as they admitted their currently pretty shaky state as a company and mixed reaction to the games they're putting out is due to "Excessive outsourcing."
  • bedelicious - January 11, 2014 9:41 a.m.

I feel you. I had the same problems with the game. I thought it was a mediocre game at best and a really awful addition to the series. It didn't live up to the other games in the franchise and nor to the promises of NT. Capcom might have wanted to attract more casual players, but they not only failed to do that but also managed to alienate the established fanbase in the process. And for what? For a sub par addition to the genre, with atrocious writing and uninspired gameplay. I know some people enjoyed it, but I can't help but feel that much more people were cheated out of a new DMC game for that.
  • MeanwhileGuy - January 11, 2014 3:27 p.m.

It very much was the definition of "nothing special". Capcom have been making mistake after mistake for years now (Resi 6 and their DLC practices to name a couple), hopefully this will make them reconsider things. Though I'm pretty sure all they have to do is approach Platinum and be all "We are so, so sorry. Please come back and make DMC for us again." And the alienated fans will return. I certainly would. I did find the backlash against the backlash interesting; people determined to like the new game and new Dante just because they either didn't like the old series or they wanted to piss off the previous fans. I've been accused multiple times of disliking the new Dante "just because he doesn't have white hair and doesn't look like a Japanese pretty boy". Even after I've pointed out to them why I feel DmC is an insult to the franchise in a logical manner. Nice to see someone else who had legitimate problems with the way the game, especially the writing, was handled.
  • bedelicious - January 12, 2014 1:05 a.m.

True. I sure hope they learn something from the whole DmC fiasco xD If they make a true DMC game, I’ll support it too. Yeah, it was crazy, especially when the game first came out xD I especially hated the reviewers who would go and call the players crybabies and entitled simply because they didn’t like the game. Trolls I get, but journalists used to have integrity. And most people who disliked the game have totally legit problems with it. It’s always nice to know someone else gets what you’re trying to say ^^
  • Arobadope - January 11, 2014 5:32 p.m.

Capcom said from the beginning it was a reboot of the series and that it was a younger version of dante that it took place in an alternate universe....hell i think they said all of that when it was announced....
  • DarthPunk - January 10, 2014 2:21 a.m.

To be honest hasn't the gathering dust between big games been true of every Nintendo home console since the dying days of the N64? I think we might just have to accept that this is just the norm for them
  • Pruman - January 10, 2014 8:33 a.m.

It is. Having only the Nintendo system generally closes off a good portion of the third-party library, and Nintendo can only make games so fast. I can live with this on the Wii U (never getting an XBONE, don't need a PS4 since I have a gaming PC), but as recently as the last generation, it was a real issue for me. Part is due to lingering animosity dating back to the NES days, and part is self-inflicted because Nintendo systems always have some arbitrary reason that third parties cite as an excuse to not develop on them. This is because they understandably want to make as much money off of as little effort as possible, and making a good Nintendo game is much harder than simply rewriting some existing code.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Pretty much. But hey, make Nintendo fans understand...
  • injustice45 - January 9, 2014 8:58 p.m.

"Are you on the development team?" -- Major Nelson
  • doominatorx6 - January 9, 2014 8:56 p.m.

I bought Ride to Hell. I bought it for cheap expecting a couple of cheap laughs; I'm known for having a... how shall we say, masochistic taste in games. Ride to Hell did not disappoint. I laughed the whole way through. If anything, it should be commended for being consistently awful. It does nothing right, but it's a spectacular mess you can't look away from. I'm being dead serious with this next statement too. Ride to Hell was one of the most fun experiences I had with a game released last year.
  • TanookiMan - January 10, 2014 3:43 p.m.

I was thinking about picking the game up, but this settles it. I'm getting Ride to Hell. Thanks for the tip!
  • Frieza - January 9, 2014 8:46 p.m.

It's that time of year again, eh?... How time flies. In a few days my GR account will be 1 year old. :/ You really have to wonder what the hell Sony was thinking with Knack's voice. I know for certain they didn't want to make him a mascot, because if that was their intention they would have used a much more simple and light hearted voice if one at all. Wasn't Lost Planet 3 a prequel? The reason I overlooked it this year is because it didn't look Japanese enough. The first two games were very Japanese-ish, but this one seemed to discard most of that. I didn't play the game so I'm only talking about what I saw in the trailers and Let's Plays, but still... "Adventure Time and Regular Show are awesome examples of modern cartoon greatness." Am I the only one who doesn't see why Regular Show is so popular? 3D being absent from Pokemon wasn't that strange. Turning it on just for 1v1 battles will drop the frame rate noticeably. Just think of how the game would have run with 3D settings enabled for Hoard Battles. The 3DS can only take so much. I'm just glad we moved on from sprites, even though I do miss them to some extent (except Gen Vs sprites. I didn't like those for some reason).
  • BladedFalcon - January 9, 2014 9:34 p.m.

"Am I the only one who doesn't see why Regular Show is so popular?" You're not, although for me it applies to pretty much most American animated shows past 2000. I can't fucking get over how lazier and shittier cartoons keep looking and looking, and even if they might be somehow funny at times, to me it doesn't excuse just how shit both adventure time and regular show looks.
  • Frieza - January 10, 2014 7:45 p.m.

To be fair, Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra were very good, both in a visual and storytelling sense. And there were some shows in the 90's that didn't look spectacular visually, like Power Puff Girls and Dexter's Lab. But I will agree that many of the cartoons on air today are neither funny or entertaining. *cough*teentitansgo*cough* I'll give credit to Adventure Time since I've enjoyed what I saw of it, but Regular Show... Nah. I remember seeing the trailers for the show back before it started, and remember thinking "this show isn't going to last a year." Many moons later I find out it's still on, so I sit down and watch a few episodes. And I thought "how the hell did this show last this long."
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 10:16 p.m.

Yes, Avatar and Korra are the only two shows I'm willing to give a chance. And i do mean to do it... I've just yet to decided to go trough watching them. And again, I'm not saying any of those modern shows are worthless... But it really does piss me the fuck off that the more advanced society gets, the lazier the animation and quality of the drawings are... Compare the old Disney and Looney Tunes cartoons circa the 60s to the cartoons in the 90s and then those to the shit we have now... it's fucking depressing.
  • Frieza - January 11, 2014 6:56 p.m.

That I can agree with.
  • rxb - January 10, 2014 7:08 a.m.

The first Lost planet was a cool Japanese arcade - ish shooter, the second was a dodgy Japanese co op monster hunter-ish shooter. The Third game looked like generic American Dead Space / Gears of War mash up. I avoided it too. Im not a massive Regular show fan but I find the silly humour entertaining enough. Also is the 'let this eat cake {brioche}' line as bad as 'get another job if you can't afford a ps3' one? It has to be close.
  • talleyXIV - January 9, 2014 8:09 p.m.

"It felt like the GameCube all over again." Say what you want about the Wii U but the GameCube's library is awesome.
  • BladedFalcon - January 9, 2014 8:37 p.m.

...It really isn't. As someone who bought the GC early on and sold it 2 years after, there were definitely a few titles that stood out, but it's overall offering compared to other consoles is far from the best.
  • MrJP - January 10, 2014 7:27 a.m.

Compared to other systems it may be lacking in numbers, but when you actually start to look there were at least 40/50 stellar titles and many of them were exclusives. If you didn't keep one for long or play many games on it you may have really missed out and should consider trying to find some of these if you haven't: -Metroid Prime 1 and 2 -Wind Waker and Twilight Princess -Double Dash -Skies or Arcadia -Baten Kaitos 1+2 -Paper Mario -Mario Sunshine -Resident evil 0, the remake and 4 -MGS Twin Snakes -Soul Calibur 2 -Pikmin 1+2 -Smash Bros Melee -F-Zero GX -Rogue Leader -Viewtiful Joe 1+2 -Super Monkeyball 1+2 -Eternal Darkness -Ikaruga -Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon It even had some decent ports like the Splinter Cell and Timesplitters games. Needless to say, that for me, it had enough to stop me ever jumping ship.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 8:36 a.m.

Actually, the vast majority of the games you listed are games that came out/were available to me during the time I owned it, which is between 2002 and 2004. The only one that came after in that list was Twilight Princess. And that game, along with several others in your list don't really serve as reasons to get a GC since they came out in other consoles. Such as these: -Skies of Arcadia -Resident Evil 4 -Soul Calibur 2 (granted, GC was arguably the best version because of link, but still.) -Viewtiful Joe 1+2 -Ikaruga (Though to be fair, this remained exclusive to the GC for a LOOONG time before it came out in XBLA.) As for the rest of the titles listed, most are first party, and your mileage may vary on how good they really are. Baten Kaitos I played, and it was nice, but it's an utterly forgettable RPG in the grand scheme of JRPGS. (If nothing else, I'm surprised you didn't list Tales of Symphonia, which I'd argue is superior in every way.) And Double Dash and Resident Evil 0 are both... acceptable games at best, but far from the best in either of their respective series. (In other words, you really don't miss much if you didn't play either.) The rest are pretty legit entires, to be sure, (even if some flat out don't appeal to me, like Animal crossing, Pikmin or super monkey ball, but that's a matter of taste, not the game's fault.) But that leaves you with around 15 games... (give or take.) For a console with an active lifespan of at least 5 years, that makes it to roughly 3 worthwhile games per year, if that. I wouldn't call that an overwhelming library by any stretch of the imagination.