Topics

Anti-Awards

• jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 10:53 a.m.

I have to comment on the Mass Effect 3 ending. There were a lot more legitimate complaints about the ending than "it didn't end happily". Massive plot-holes and a general lack of closure. Did some overreact? Absolutely, but there was a real feeling of disappointment from many, MANY fans, including me. The Extended Cut, while not perfect, went a long way to improving it and in my mind the end is now decent. It closes most of the plot-holes (though some are still open) and gave a feeling of closure while still leaving some ambiguity and opening for fan interpretation. It actually felt like an ending. When I saw the Normandy taking off the planet and then the credits come up, I thought, "That's how to end this."
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Agreed. I'm more annoyed about how those that felt the ending was satisfying try and devalue my opinion to 'they can't handle a sad ending, crybabies.' Simply not true. The run to the portal as Harbinger shoots at them, I knew there was no happy ending for Shepard and it made the charge that much more emotional and powerful, I just expected something far better thought out and meaningful when I got there.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 11:17 a.m.

The extended cut really did a lot for me there and it did feel much more consistent with Mass Effect lore which is why I accept it at this point. Even with the horrible taste the original ending gave me, it's still my favorite game of this year, even with The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, and Dishonored.
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 12:57 p.m.

I've actually not experienced the extended cut yet, mostly because I've had so much to play, and didn't feel like playing the last 2 hours of the game over again. I will one day. That said, despite the very last 20-30 minutes of the game, Mass Effect 3 was also one of the best games released this year. Never experienced so many emotions while playing a game.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 1:04 p.m.

The only ones that rival it in terms of emotional impact in my mind are MGS3 and 4 and The Walking Dead.
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 1:43 p.m.

The Walking Dead seemed to brief to me to make the same connections I had developed in the Mass Effect series. On that aspect, I felt very little about the occurrences in TWD compared to the roller coaster that was ME3.
  • jack-hentschell - January 8, 2013 1:50 p.m.

I agree, but relatively speaking based on the amount of time I had to get to know them, they were on around the same level in my mind.
  • AlexStarkiller - January 8, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I don't agree. I found myself really connecting with the characters in a very short amount of time. especially with Clem. There's this certain part in the third episode where what happens to a character hit me like a gut-punch.
  • Bloodstorm - January 8, 2013 3:45 p.m.

The instance in the third episode was about the only time I felt truly moved by the narrative, if we are referring to the same character. The rest was good, but inconsequential. A good story, for the time it had to try and connect you to it.
  • TanookiMan - January 8, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Hooray Anti-Awards! Loved the entry on COD: Declassified
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 8, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I love these. My favorite has to be the commentary on the ME3 ending. The overreaction still bothers me. And apparently you guys too. Surprised Lollipop Chainsaw didn't get something though. I didn't play it, but based on reviews, I thought we'd see it here in some way. Even if for "Dumbest Achievement Award" for the upskirt achievement.