• LiK - January 18, 2010 5:33 a.m.

great list of references. but you're missing one. when Bayonetta cuts off the tongue of Iustitia, she uses the same karate chop move as from one of the Kamen Riders. i don't remember which Rider specifically, so go investigate! :)
  • Rushnut - January 17, 2010 4:35 p.m.

The giant Diamond, or as it was called at some point in game Chaos Diamond. Obvious refrence to Chaos Emeralds from Sonic. After saying about Eggman, Rodin says something including Sunny Side up in some speech. Another Eggman Refrence? The Shuraba Sword is an obvious rip off of Yamato in DMC, even the charge attack is basically the same. The -not the final but nearly the final, but it turns into the final- boss, the statue seems like a large refrence to the last statue boss in DMC4 When you first see -the guy whos dad got killed, i forget his name-, He jumps through the air with doves around him. Obvious Assassins creed refrence. I know more, but I only finished the game last night (Took me 6 hours) for the first time, I remember says, OH COME ON, NOW HE IS JUST TAKING THE P-SS! at moments like these, I'll remember them with time.
  • notthatgoodthanks - January 16, 2010 6:21 p.m.

I love all the nods to sega in this game. I spotted a fair few of them on my first playthrough. Such a great game, really one of my favourite single player games.
  • NobodyLikesPaul - January 16, 2010 11:13 a.m.

eggman is robotniks nephew!!! so it says in the cartoon
  • pillowcaselaw - September 8, 2013 12:22 p.m.

The cartoon and Archie Comics canon is not the same as the Sega game canon. They're two entirely separate universes, more or less - and I'll take the one with less Ken Penders.
  • slapdatass - January 16, 2010 7:27 a.m.

It's not a game reference, but one of Luka's notes reads "The Dump is a wretched hive of scum and villainy"....heh.
  • NinjaJamez - January 15, 2010 11:31 p.m.

great job ! you actually convinced me to buy bayonetta
  • Smeggs - January 15, 2010 10:37 p.m.

She says "Dancing a-go-go, Baby!" But its still obviously a reference to good ol' Joe.
  • crimson_soulreaper305 - January 15, 2010 10:25 p.m.

the "Let's Rock, Baby" quote was also used in Viewtiful Joe. well,...in the show. (i wish joe would come back, or at least remade i loved that game. i even have the ones the made on Gamecube and still play them.) @awesomeforthemasses: no your not, i noticed that too.
  • lovinmyps3 - January 15, 2010 9:36 p.m.

I found about half of the ones you got. Now I'm proud of myself! =)
  • avramce - January 15, 2010 8:40 p.m.

Man, no reference to Enzo's car playing Outrun's "Magical Sound Shower" at the second part of Chapter 1? For shame... :P
  • jackthemenace - January 15, 2010 8:16 p.m.

awww, this game is AWESOME! i never would have got half these references (except the DMC ones, of course) if it hadn't been for your guys! thanks alot!
  • Ded - January 15, 2010 7:35 p.m.

I'm sure I hear "Dancin' a-go-go, baby!" too.. but I'm certain it's a Viewtiful Joe reference either way.
  • axis56 - January 15, 2010 7:19 p.m.

i miss viewtiful joe.....
  • Awesomeforthemasses - January 15, 2010 6:27 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks the blood pattern on Rodin's head in 9-10 looks like a dragon?
  • Patodevil - January 15, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Another references from (sorry my bad english) Captain Tsubasa (Tiger Shot) in bayonetta (torture attack) Shoot Panther Fantasy Zone (torture attack) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i-4BHOCLqM (see the picture is a 1Mt like in the torture attack) Wild Raiders (mission 8 - route 666) Virtua Fighter (Akira Attack) Bayo move + /\ or Y GODHAND (punish attack / spanking) DMC1 : Pillow tack theme from DMC 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDtjf5yoy4 , is a Laser Sword in Bayo. Trophy: The Legendary Dark Witch := DMC 1 Logo and Sparda reference The Legendary Dark Night. Angel Slayer Mode Logo = Trish DMC1 Pose Gladius (is a secret weapon) Lazer Pistol Bruce lee (secret weapon) Sai Fun Assasing Creed (when police chases luka) I'm not sure. About dragon ball z Tn mission 15, the dice on the right initials shows "DBZ " In the Prologue: Bayonetta & jeanne make the pose of the fusion http://www.dragonball-z.es/wp-conten...ta-380x279.jpg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HcOHl68MGE (2:12) Also, the enemies "Brave" of chapter 8, when they fight posturing, or going to the 3D Gallery posse are making special Ginyu Force. http://d.imagehost.org/0731/ginyu_force.gif also, use the yellow lolipon , and the bayo hair , turns yellow, like a super saiyan.
  • rxb - January 15, 2010 1 p.m.

This is a game that when you play it you can feel it was made with love. Not some 'half finished patch it later yearly franchise crap' some parts are frustrating but overall I love it.
  • Cernunnos - January 15, 2010 12:31 p.m.

@funisher: i think you could be right about that one. the henshin a go-go was just wishfull thinking, she clearly says dancing. awesome article though.
  • Funisher - January 15, 2010 10:49 a.m.

With Kulshedra equipped, Bayonetta's taunt becomes "Your Halo is mine" Yes, a very average thing to say, but with all the other references in this game it's just hard for me to believe it isn't a Mortal Kombat nod. I mean, come on, "Your soul is mine" but... she's collecting Halos, not souls. I don't know, I think it is.
  • Phreakout93 - January 15, 2010 8:04 a.m.

theres always the "red hot" item in ronins shop,theres also another item (an attack) a kick that is literally joe's red hot kick