Star Wars: The Force Awakens arrived on Blu-Ray stands back in April, and while that release had plenty of extras there was always a strong likelihood that more content would be coming in future home entertainment re-releases.
Indeed, Disney have announced (opens in new tab) that a 3D, four-disc Collector's Edition is coming to Blu-Ray later this year, and its extra features include an audio commentary from director JJ Abrams and all-new deleted scenes. Check out the full rundown below...
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams, and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film’s remarkable digital artistry, and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.
While I'm curious to check out a few of those extras - JJ Abrams' audio commentary will no doubt yield some interesting insights, and it's likely that the deleted scenes will be much more satisfying than what we got back in April - re-releasing The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray so soon is no doubt frustrating to those fans who already purchased a digital or physical copy of the film earlier this year. This probably won't be the last time we'll get a new edition of the film too, so if you don't mind waiting it may be better to hold out for a massive box set in a few years time.
Directed by JJ Abrams and starring Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, and Adam Driver, Star Wars: The Force Awakens' 3D Collector's Edition will be out on DVD and Blu-Ray in the UK on October 31, 2016 and November 15, 2016 in the US.