Dark Souls Remastered full walkthrough: KILN OF THE FIRST FLAME AND GWYN, LORD OF CINDER
Return to the Firelink Altar (Frampt or Kaathe can warp you there). Place the lord souls into the Lordvessel and the door ahead will open.
The path to Gwyn is very straightforward. The only enemies standing in your way are several Black Knights, each with a unique Black Knight Weapon. Circle-strafe and backstab. All of these knights always drop Titanite Chunks, so this is a great area to farm for those.
If you’ve been following this walkthrough, Solaire will be available to help with this fight. His sign (pictured above) is at the top of the steps that lead down to the fog door. This makes things remarkably easier.
BOSS – GWYN, LORD OF CINDER
Note: Once you defeat Gwyn, there’s no going back. You’ll have to begin a New Game+
Gwyn is, ironically, vulnerable to fire, so Pyromancers should have no problem. Equip some flame resistant armor (we were using Smough’s armor) and a flame resistant shield (we used a Black Knight Shield). As a Pyromancer, we equipped the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring (sold by Griggs) and used the Pyromancy spell ‘Power Within’ just before entering the door.
Once the battle begins, Gwyn will always perform a leaping attack. Dodge this, then stay close to him. Solaire should draw him away from you. When this happens, hit Gwyn as hard as you can with high level Pyromancy spells. When Gwyn grabs Solaire, he is invincible for most of the animation. Still, Great Combustion and Great Chaos Fireball make short work of Gwyn.
There are other methods that work, too - even if you’re solo. Staying very close to Gwyn is actually better than backpedaling, so long as you can read when he’s about to use his grab attack. Roll out of the way and use this opportunity to either heal or hit him hard.
You can also parry nearly all of Gwyn’s attacks. This takes skill, but smaller shields like the Target Shield increase your parry window. Obviously, a mistimed parry could be disastrous, so be careful. If you are going to use this method, make sure to use the most powerful one-handed weapon you have for the riposte.
After the battle, light the bonfire for the ‘good’ ending. Leave the area for the ‘bad’ ending. Congratulations! Time for New Game +!
Jump to Section
- Getting Started/Undead Asylum
- Firelink Shrine
- Undead Burg part 1
- Undead Burg part 2
- Undead Parish part 1
- Undead Parish part 2 (First Bell)
- (OP) Grinding for Souls & Finding Goodies in Darkroot Garden
- Lower Undead Burg
- (OP) Returning to the Undead Asylum
- The Depths
- (OP) Exploring Blighttown's Swamp
- (OP) Undead Dragon & Valley of the Drakes
- Quelaag's Domain (Second Bell)
- (OP) Moonlight Butterfly & the Divine Ember
- (OP) Darkroot Basin, the Hydra, and Dusk
- Sen's Fortress part 1
- Sen's Fortress part 2
- Anor Londo part 1
- (OP) Painted World of Ariamis part 1
- (OP) Painted World of Ariamis part 2
- Anor Londo part 2
- Return to Firelink Shrine & Placing the Lordvessel
- Sif and the Darkroot Garden
- New Londo Ruins
- The Catacombs
- Tomb of the Giants part 1
- Tomb of the Giants part 2
- (OP) Dark Sun Gwyndolin & the Blade of the Darkmoon Covenant
- Duke's Archives
- Crystal Cave
- Demon Ruins part 1
- Demon Ruins part 2
- (OP) Great Hollow & Ash Lake
- Lost Izalith
- (OP) Sanctuary Garden (New Content)
- (OP) Oolacile Sanctuary & Royal Wood (New Content)
- (OP) Oolacile Township (New Content)
- (OP) Chasm of the Abyss (New Content)
- (OP) Black Dragon Kalameet (New Content)
- Kiln of the First Flame & Gwyn, Lord of Cinder