Minecraft 1.17, also known as part one of the Caves and Cliffs update, added many new items to the game. Whether you want a glowing sign for your Minecraft home, new materials to mine for, or always dreamed about carrying an axolotl around in a bucket, there was something for everyone with the Minecraft 1.17 Caves & Cliffs update. Of course, this was only the first part of the full Caves & Cliffs update. You can expect more cave-related content to arrive in late 2021. Here are all the new items that were brought into Minecraft with the 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update.
Minecraft 1.17 Caves & Cliffs all new items
Learn how to find a Minecraft Axolotl in your world
The list of new Minecraft 1.17 items is not extremely long, but there were definitely some fun additions to the game. Most notably, Minecraft copper and copper ingots were introduced, allowing you to craft a lightning rod or even a spyglass if you've also found some Minecraft Amethyst Shards. You also got more decoration option thanks to the addition of glow ink sacs. And last but not least: you can now catch an axolotl mob and carry it around in a bucket. Transporting animals has never been this easy!
Keep in mind that we’re just talking about items here, not about blocks and mobs. Minecraft items can be mined or crafted and carried around in you inventory. Here's a list of new Minecraft 1.17 items:
All new Caves & Cliffs items in Minecraft 1.17
- Amethyst Shard. Drops from amethyst clusters inside amethyst geodes. You can find them in deep caves. Use amethyst to make a spyglass or tinted glass.
- Bucket of Axolotl. Use a normal bucket to capture an axolotl (a new mob introduced in Minecraft 1.17) to get a Bucket of Axolotl.
- Bundle. A storage item which can be filled with up to 64 different items. Can be crafted with string and rabbit hide.
- Copper Ingot. Gained by smelting copper ore. Four copper ingots make one block of copper. It can also be used to make a spyglass or lightning rod.
- Glow Berries. This new glowing fruit type grows on cave vines. Can be eaten (2 hunger points) and farmed (using bone meal).
- Glow Ink Sac. Dropped from glow squids. A glowing ink sac can be used to craft a glowing item frame or glowing sign.
- Glow Item Frame. Just like a normal item frame, but glowing. Craft the frame together with a glow ink sac to get it. Both the frame and any item placed inside will glow.
- Glowing Sign. Use a glow ink sac to light up the letters on the sign.
- Lightning rod. Can be crafted using copper ingots. This item can be placed to redirect lightning strikes within a 32-block radius.
- Powder Snow Bucket. Use an empty bucket on a powder snow block (also added in Minecraft 1.17).
- Raw Copper. Mined from copper ore (pickaxe must be at least stone quality). Smelt it to create copper ingots.
- Raw Gold. Dropped from gold ore when mined with an iron pickaxe or higher quality. Can be smelted to create gold ingots.
- Raw Iron. Mined with at least stone quality pickaxe. Dropped from iron ore and can be smelted to create iron ingots.
- Spawn Eggs. Minecraft 1.17 adds spawn eggs for every new mob. That means there’s a new axolotl spawn egg, a goat spawn egg, and a glow squid spawn egg.
- Spyglass. As you might expect, this can be used to scan the landscape by zooming in. It can be crafted with amethyst shards and copper ingots.
And that’s every new item in Minecraft 1.17 Caves & Cliffs. Time for some mining and crafting!
Minecraft download | Minecraft Realms | Best Minecraft seeds | Minecraft cheats | Best Minecraft servers | Best Minecraft mods | Best Minecraft shaders | Best Minecraft skins | Best Minecraft texture packs | Play Minecraft for free | Minecraft Forge | Minecraft The Wild update