You’re probably aware that Star Wars: Rogue One (opens in new tab) underwent a heck of a lot of reshoots to whip it into shape. Director Gareth Edwards has pretty much confirmed that we’ll never get to see the scenes that were left on the cutting room floor (opens in new tab), but these Rogue One comics – with additional scenes included – might just be the next best thing.
The video above, coming from YouTube channel Star Wars Explained, reveals panels galore from Rogue One’s six-issue comic series. The highlighted panels not only fill in a few key gaps to address character motivations, but also include some really neat Star Wars call-backs.
Key moments from the comics not present in Rogue One are as follows:
· Galen Erso’s conversation with pilot Bodhi asking him to defect and aid the Rebellion
· Jyn’s escape from her cell in Wobani becomes a matter of life-and-death as her cellmate threatens her
· Saw Gerrera’s role is fleshed out considerably, with Jyn recalling her childhood with the rebel, as well as readers seeing his very last moments (including a neat Clone Wars Easter Egg)
· Jyn and Leia come face-to-face, albeit briefly, during a flashback discussion scene between Bail Organa and Saw Gererra.
· Galen’s time as a Death Star engineer is shown at length, including flashbacks alongside General Krennic.
· Bodhi and K-2SO discussing their ‘reprogramming’ to join the Rebellion fight.
· The comic ending with the text crawl from Star Wars: A New Hope
The full forensic recap can be seen in the video – and it’s nice to see characters (especially Galen) get more meat on the bones of their characters, as some were left in the narrative wilderness with the extensive amount of reshoots.
Now we just need a kid Leia/Jyn spin-off adventure...