Get the Destiny 2 Lament Exotic chainsaw sword by completing a quest that involves exploring Europa to find dead Exos, blade pieces, and more secrets. The Lament is an incredibly powerful Exotic Sword and a must-have if you've got Destiny 2 Beyond Light, but the quest is quite long and requires a fair bit of exploring the icy wastes of Europa and Bray Exoscience facility. However it all culminates in a good mission where you’ll get to try out the colossal chainsaw-sword and shred some Vex into scrap. Here are all the quest steps you need to complete to unlock The Lament in Destiny 2.
Destiny 2 Lament quest steps
To begin the Lost Lament quest to get The Lament in Destiny 2, you must have completed the Beyond Light story campaign first. If you’ve done that, grab the quest from Banshee-44, the Tower’s Gunsmith and then complete the following steps:
- Locate and scan three dead Exos on Europa: There are nine dead Exos on Europa, but any three will do.
- Locate the Giant Exo hidden in the Exo facility: Head inside the Bray Exoscience facility and then go to Creation.
- Prove yourself by using Swords against the Vex: Defeat 100 Vex on Europa using Swords, including killing 20 Minotaurs, Hydras, or Cyclopes. The Destiny 2 Perdition Lost Sector is the best place for this step.
- Acquire and complete the listed quests from Commander Zavala and Variks: Complete “Reclaiming Europa”, “Empire's Fall”, and “The Dark Priestess”. This step is skipped if you’ve previously completed these quests.
- Prove your worth by completing an Exo Challenge: Complete any Exo Simulation challenge or the ‘Old Secrets, New Challenges’ quest from Variks if you haven’t already.
- Defeat Vex with finishers: The best place for this is the Perdition Lost Sector. Go there, shoot Vex until they’re finisher-ready, then finish them off with a, well, finisher.
- Locate blade pieces in The Glassway Strike: Play the Glassway and defeat a special Vex Harpy during the final boss fight to get the blade pieces.
- Head back to the Tower and speak to Banshee-44: Collect the Broken Blade item from him.
- Search Eventide Ruins for an abandoned bunker and explore inside: The so-called “abandoned bunker” is just the Bunker E-15 Lost Sector in Europa’s Eventide Ruins. Complete the Lost Sector and loot the final chest.
- Complete the mission "Reforging the Past": Begin the mission in Eventide Ruins. You'll fight your way back through Creation and will unlock The Lament so you can use it against hordes of Vex for the rest of the mission.
- Return to Banshee: Go back to the Tower Gunsmith to report your discoveries and complete the quest.
Destiny 2 Lost Lament dead Exos
The first step on the Lost Lament quest is to find and scan three dead Exos on Europa. There are nine Exos scattered around, but any three work for this step, so scan these easy ones at the Well of Infinitude, Eventide Ruins, and Bray Exoscience to move onto the next Destiny 2 Lament quest step:
- Well of Infinitude - Dead Exo "surrounded by Vex technology": In the room where two Wyverns spawn in the story missions, look for a dead Exo surrounded by scanners on the left wall.
- Eventide Ruins - Dead Exo "amongst the ruins of an old city": Look in the far northeast corner by some generators where Fallen Captains often spawn.
- Bray Exoscience - Dead Exo "surrounded by factory equipment": From the main entrance, go through the door immediately to your right, and hug the right wall until you find the Exo in the back corner.
Destiny 2 Lost Lament Giant Exo location
From the third dead Exo pictured above, head through a doorway into the next room and then turn to find a newly unlocked door that leads down a wide corridor. Keep following this corridor to eventually arrive in Creation. This is a large area but has a fairly linear path. Eventually you'll reach the end of a huge, open area, and will go through more corridors, only to arrive in another massive room with the giant Exo inside. Approach the head and interact with it and get the next Lament quest step.
Destiny 2 Lost Lament Exo challenge
You can find an Exo challenge on Europa after clearing the "Old Secrets, New Challenges" mission provided by Variks. Talk to him and then head to Bray Exoscience to load into the challenge for the first time. If you've already completed this mission, you can select the currently active Exo Simulation challenge on the Europa map. Complete the challenge and loot the chest to move on to the next Destiny 2 Lament quest step.
Destiny 2 Lost Lament blade pieces
This step sounds a lot more difficult than it is. All you have to do is defeat a special 'Transcendent Harpy" enemy that appears during the final boss fight against Belmon. The Harpy easily blends in with the regular enemies and isn't especially strong, so you'll probably kill it by accident. Defeat the Harpy and you'll get the blade pieces you need.