• kyle94 - February 7, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Personally, I would love a combination of Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 when it comes to main storyline missions. It wasn't executed very well in the original, but I honestly rather liked the idea of the game being focused around specific assassinations. I liked the optional missions where you could find out more about the target or the location, and can help you come up with a strategy. With the later Assassin's Creed games (though I've yet to play 3), the missions were primarily story-driven, linear, and played out the same way if you ever replay it. The assassinations in the first game didn't always get that either, but did feel more open-ended than in later games. So, build on the optional missions from the first game and make them good and interesting to play. Have some optional missions where you pickpocket, where you intercept couriers, where you break into buildings to steal a map or documents, where you interrogate or bribe characters, where you stalk and kill guard captains or watchmen, etc. And make it where the optional missions have varying different degrees. Maybe killing the captain of the guard means that the his replacement is inexperienced and doesn't place the guards in good positions. Stealing a map gives you information on the area that would not normally be available. Eavesdropping on a conversation would open up a completely different escape route, as you find out that someone in the area would be willing to help you against whoever you're assassinating. And make some of the assassinations (though not all of them, or even a majority. Just the major ones) more open-ended. In other words, make it similar to Hitman, I suppose. I wouldn't mind seeing a return of property and guild minigames (not tower defense, though), but they should be kept rather small, as not everyone likes weird strategy elements like me. Make the guild and away missions more important, as in other ways to get information, rather than random repeatable missions to get more money and random supplies. And with the property mechanic, I would prefer something similar to Assassin's Creed 2, where you're buying and investing in a small town or specific stores, rather than every single one you run into. And, finally, set it in China, either during the Warring States period, or preferably, during the Boxer Rebellion/1800s-early 1900s. I'd love to see a game set during that time period and showing a more personal side of imperialism, colonialism, and industrialization. (I'm the kind of person who was excited, and later disappointed, by the idea of Fable 3 touching on the Industrial Revolution, for example. It was a period that created the modern world, and had unprecedented technological, philosophical, and societal changes. It was the birth of modern industry, of modern atheism and religious dogma, and of modern tolerance and racism. It saw the rise of Communism, workers' rights, Nationalism, and the first inklings of militarism and glorification of war clashing with the horrific reality, as modern technology allowed people to get an accurate look of what war was like. It's a fascinating time period so rarely used in games.) Anyway, this comment has gone on for long enough.
  • Fox_Mulder - February 8, 2013 5:23 a.m.

It may have been too long for your liking, but I fully agree with all of your points. I haven't finished 3, I'm around 2/3 through, but AC 1 and AC 2 are still my favorites in the series. Also, early 1900's China is a great idea for the new time period.
  • Bloodstorm - February 7, 2013 7:07 p.m.

I'd definitely like it to be set in China, that sounds quite cool. Don't care if it goes back into the past before Connor's storyline. Plus, China has some awesome structures that would be fun to climb. Old West could be good, but they'd have to mix up the game play, which would mean far less emphasis on the free running part of the franchise. I feel mixing it up that much would be too jarring for many fans, though.
  • PolarBearsInHeat - February 7, 2013 6:32 p.m.

Here's my prediction: Watch Dogs is really assassin's creed IV.
  • FierceVoltage - February 7, 2013 7:53 p.m.

YES lol
  • 7-D - February 7, 2013 5:36 p.m.

I think it should be set in a alternate version of contemporary New York, where you can steal cars to get around and have to do missions for various people around the city. The main character could be an Eastern European immigrant or something working his way up and trying to survive in the city.
  • Jacko415 - February 7, 2013 8:57 p.m.

OH MY GOD SO FUCKING CLEVER! Douche.
  • avantguardian - February 7, 2013 10:29 p.m.

i don't think he liked your joke.
  • 7-D - February 8, 2013 12:49 a.m.

Hahaha, was a wee bit harsh weren't it.
  • winner2 - February 7, 2013 5:08 p.m.

If its in the west I'm not buying it. Oh look let's go climb...that 10 foot sand dune. Oh no wait let's...go hide in the desert by moving from cactus to cactus! Oh hey how about we...fuck it just shoot me now I know you've got a hidden six shooter in there somewhere. Seriously, put it in Asia. Big ass cities with heights, exotic outdoors, beautiful with plenty of color, a feudal political system perfect for intrigue and shit. Also, martial arts and a way cooler outfit. And in the west, how often did they fight with swords or meele weapons in general? There's a reason old westerns have a bunch of shootouts instead of sword fights. And don't say bar fight brawl because im pretty sure we'd rather be doing martial arts takedowns.
  • talleyXIV - February 7, 2013 4:55 p.m.

I almost just posted that I wanted it set in dinosaur times because Desmond evolved from a dinosaur technically. Thank God I realized my dumbassery, dinosaurs went extinct... a momentary lapse of reason.
  • Bloodstorm - February 7, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Not to mention, in this version of....everything, Humanity was created by the first civilization.
  • talleyXIV - February 7, 2013 4:54 p.m.

I want it to be set in dinosaur times. Technically Desmond had to evolve and come from a dinosaur.
  • panthersfury13 - February 7, 2013 4:51 p.m.

I've always said they needed to take the games to Asia (preferably Japan), but a futuristic Assassin's Creed could be interesting. Think about it, you spend the first half of the game in present day thinking that you are going to come across the animus at some point in time. Then BAM! You have been in the animus all along and you wake up 200 years in the future!
  • talleyXIV - February 7, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Yeah, annualizing a game... not good stuff. This one could suffer greatly.
  • oryanbelt - February 7, 2013 4:14 p.m.

I would take either Old West or China. Both offer such great opportunities for either setting. I can imagine a train robbing section in the old west and the prospects for preforming an assassination during the Chinese New Years where the fire works are blasting everywhere as a distraction or as a 'weapon'; There is a lot of potential still left.
  • pl4y4h - February 7, 2013 4:12 p.m.

You would think given how consistently entertaining (and not buggy) AC III multiplayer is they couldn't do the same with the single player game. An assassin's creed based in Asia though, that actually sounds like a really good idea I hope that happens.
  • phatsnake - February 7, 2013 4:07 p.m.

I hope it does NOT take place in the old west! My biggest problem with AC3 was the underdeveloped cities that resulted in a lack of tall buildings and famous monuments to climb (which was understandable historically speaking but boring gameplay wise). At least they made up for it with the amazing frontier. In the old west, however, there is really nothing to climb except mountains, which is not enough. The future does sound like an interesting choice, but a big part of the series' appeal lies in it's ability to re-imagine historical locations, using whatever few monuments, illustrations, or perhaps scripts that remain until our present day. The only imaginary world that makes sense to me is Eden in the past. More viable choices in my opinion include: Feudal Japan, and China, like the article suggests.
  • Forsakenday - February 7, 2013 3:53 p.m.

It should definitely take place in Asia. The amount of new things they could implement is so ridiculous I'm surprised they haven't done it already.
  • ZeroZmm - February 7, 2013 3:51 p.m.

In the future aspect.. The animus could take us to the past..all the way.. The past was very futuristic after all~
  • Evanesco - February 7, 2013 3:50 p.m.

I want either Old West, Asia, or Victorian England. And for people to stop hating on AC like it's the cool thing to do. The franchise has done some amazing things and the criticisms are starting to sound like comfortable nitpicking turned into false complaints.