Topics

Best of GR

• taokaka - October 19, 2012 5:26 p.m.

How are some of these characters even heroes? But despite that I was pleasantly suprised to see klonoa on the list, it's nice to see his recent come back in popularity. Also no FF characters surprised me, plenty of the characters from the series easily achieve the status of hero while simultaneously being fantastic characters. But anyway my suggestions go to -The Elite Beat Agents for single handedly inspiring many people to succeed and even saving the planet from an alien invasion through music. -Kat from Gravity Rush because she saves the inhabitants of a city that hates her just because it's the right thing to do. -Taokaka from Blazblue because I'm a huge tao fan, even though Bang Shishigami easily deserves the title of greatest hero over taokaka.
  • taokaka - October 19, 2012 7:43 p.m.

Since writing this comment I just haven't been able to take my mind off of why Bang Shishigami, the proclaimed hero of love and justice should be number one on this list because he really does stand for what a hero is. "A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities." Is the definition of hero google gave me and Bang meets all the criteria; he's a person, he's a man, he's admired by the kaka clan for his courageous actions and his no-kill policy and compassion makes him quite noble. Bang was once a ninja of ikaruga until the NOL declared war on the city, at one point we see a flashback of this event and Bang instead of ordering his men to fight he orders them to run away with the civilians while he stays back by himself to fight and save his mentor, upon reaching his mentor he is frozen by Jin kisaragi, the leader of the invasion force and Jin kills the mentor. Fast forward to continuum shift, Jin is severely injured and is in ronin gai, a district of kagutsuchi composed of refugees from Ikaruga, including Bang Shishigami. So what does Bang do, he takes his revenge right? WRONG, instead he looks after his mortal enemy until he is better and tries to convince him to change his ways, would any other character on this list do that? On top of this he is always protecting those he cares for while on his journey to collect the bounty on Ragna's head to restore Ikaruga, he is always at hand to save Taokaka, Litchi, Carl etc from trouble. His one downside is he is too enthusiastic about being a hero that he manages to sometimes cause trouble. Finally, I'm just going to let this extract from Bang's page o urban dictionary do the talking for me on the issue of his manliness "The manliest man on the planet. Not a single being in the universe can defeat this man's strength and manliness. If one were to try, they would fail miserably. Bang Shishigami is so manly, he has not one theme song, but two"
  • Nomado - October 19, 2012 5:22 p.m.

This list needs Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3 instead of Raider IMO. Also should add Zack from FFX or Cloud Strife from FFVII. Shulk from Xenoblade would be nice addition. Seriously WHERE IS BIG BOSS!!!
  • Nomado - October 19, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Raiden*, Tidus* not Zack :3
  • b1on1cman - October 19, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Nameless space marine (Doom guy)
  • needles - October 19, 2012 4:43 p.m.

I thought Turians were a bird like race. Not insectoid. That Phelps guy from LA Noir was a pretty good character.
  • SDHoneymonster - October 19, 2012 4:40 p.m.

But, but, where's Bayonetta?! Any woman who dresses in her own hair and has guns strapped to her stilettos is a favourite of mine.
  • fattoler - October 19, 2012 4:39 p.m.

B.J. Blazkowicz, from Wolfenstein, he killed Mecha-Hitler, nuff said.
  • kyleander95 - October 19, 2012 4:36 p.m.

I agree with jc denton but I feel adam jenson is definitely worth a mention as well especially since he is given decisions that will shape the deus ex universe, Batman just because its batman, and almost definitely the lone wanderer from fallout 3 or the courier from fallout new vegas both have survived the wasteland both have had a massive effect on the wasteland whether it was giving clean water to the wastes or stopping caesars legion from crossing the dam (well that was my personal choice) but they are both very important characters that I think deserve a lot of recognition on this list
  • isaiahtheawesome - October 19, 2012 4:26 p.m.

you missed commander shepard
  • Odaus - October 19, 2012 4:31 p.m.

+1 this list needs Shepard
  • Magnus Artanis - October 19, 2012 4:06 p.m.

Amazing!!! But we still got to see if Big Boss' new adventure will prove us that the father was the true reason the children were made... Remember he was called "the greatest soldier of all time" for a reason...
  • sweetchiliheat - October 19, 2012 3:58 p.m.

- Definitely someone from Final Fantasy, however good luck having the fans calmly decide that one. Lightning is certaintly my taste, but Cloud might be a better pick - Bayonetta - Adam (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) Other than that, good list. I might have switched some characters around (Death for War, Gabriel for Simon) but those are for personal reasons...I'll just *pretend* they're there.
  • jackthemenace - October 19, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Glad to see Eddy Riggs and Death on the list, and Sly Cooper brought back a whole bunch of fond nostalgia. I feel like Agent 47 and Sora should both have been a whole lot higher up on the list, and it should've been Riku anyway, but I'm more surprised Amaterasu only just made the top 50. Leon and Garrus were good additions, and it was nice to see a few rating higher than Master Chief. Dante should have been at least top 15, and I was almost crying with joy when I saw how high Raiden was, only to be struck down again moments later. I guess he at least got a mention though, and Snake definitely deserves his sport there. But where on earth was Bayonetta? What about Damon Baird (Or at least marcus Fenix)? How about Neku Sakuraba? Although, I've got to say, Ratchet > Jak.
  • lmaocarrots - October 19, 2012 3:42 p.m.

No Niko Bellic? Seriously? He should be top 10.
  • BladedFalcon - October 19, 2012 3:53 p.m.

He's a criminal, not a hero... And before you point it out, yes, I know CJ and Kratos are there, but I actually question why the hell are those two there in the first place.
  • Apastron - October 19, 2012 3:33 p.m.

Oh hi you're idiots because you forgot Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2, Faith from Mirror's Edge, Bayonetta from Anarchy Reigns and Aya Brea from Parasite Eve but not the 3rd Birthday where they mess her up but they make a mockery of Samus Aran in the latest Metroid game too so she can't be discounted for that reason so i think you're really sexist because there are only five females on this list and Amaterasu is an animal i think you're scared of empowering female characters and then there are men like John Vattic from Second Sight and the cast of killer7 and Jimmy Hopkins from Canis Canem Edit or Bully
  • StrayGator - October 19, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Personally I have a soft spot for DeathSpank and Serious Sam. Lost Vikings / Gobliiins - for overcoming their differences and prevailing trough teamwork. B.J. Blazkowicz / Doomguy - Going through hell again to avenge your pet rabbit? Can't touch this. Zuma Frog - Upbeat, Headstrong, and way more popular than most characters mentioned above. Gabriel Knight, Green Tentacle, Gilius Thunderhead. Billy Hatcher - Because.
  • fattoler - October 19, 2012 4:43 p.m.

I concur with B.J. Blazkowicz / Doomguy
  • J-Fid - October 19, 2012 9:46 p.m.

All for his pet rabbit!? This guy needs to be on the list.