Topics

Best of GR

• GAYMER - October 20, 2012 3:05 p.m.

You guys forgot Rikimaru and Ayame from the Tenchu series.
  • rocketfuel - October 20, 2012 3:02 p.m.

Some to consider for the final ten: The Neravarine (Morrowind) Spyro Zeratul Captain Falcon (F-Zero) The Boy (Limbo) Alan Wake Deckard Cain/Tyrael Cole Phelps (La Noire) Chell
  • Rub3z - October 20, 2012 2:24 p.m.

Gah! in my earlier list I totally forgot to mention Jack (just Jack) from MadWorld. Chainsaw arm? FTW.
  • metalgatesolid - October 20, 2012 1:17 p.m.

Great list. I forget about link as a character. Personally I love alot of Final Fantasys characters (Cloud, Auron). Max and Monica from Dark Chronicle have stuck with me. So glad Snake beat Master Chef (Sony fanboy here)
  • bedelicious - October 20, 2012 1:11 p.m.

My favorite of all time would be The Nameless One. A great character with an amazing story. I'm very glad he was on the list, even though he was no where near the top. I would have loved to see: James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2) - A compelling character, with compelling story, in a one hell of a place. Talk about subconscious xD Chell (Portal 1,2) - She is just awesome :) Commander Shepard (Mass Effect 1,2,3) - Did I miss him or anything? I expected him on such list xD
  • Rub3z - October 20, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I thought of putting up Chell for consideration too, but as awesome as I'll agree she is, it's kind of hard to consider her a hero. She overcomes great obstacles, sure (not the least of which is being called fat and adopted), but... does she act selflessly and vie to save anyone aside from herself? Does she act for the greater good? Really... no. She's a medium through which the player will solve puzzles. She's a lab rat. A very clever lab rat; one that will actively tear down or go through the walls of the maze to escape instead of just complete it... but a lab rat nonetheless.
  • krash_r1 - October 20, 2012 1 p.m.

Auron from FF.
  • Tyrande - October 20, 2012 12:59 p.m.

i would say: -Millenia from Grandia II (technically she did't start as a hero but she helps at the end) -Hero or Mitsuru Kirijo from SMT Persona 3 -Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV from SMT Devil Summoner -Miles Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright series, has his own game though -Junpei from 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors -Missile from Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective -Bayonetta -Morrigan or Alistair from Dragon's Age -Artyom from Metro 2033 and future game Metro Last Light -Shadow & Interceptor from FFVI
  • ShowMeYourKitties - October 20, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Great list (you get all the brownie points for Lucas), but Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You totally belongs on this list. Sure he starts as an overly angsty emo JRPG character, but he develops into one of determined and capable capable characters of any game. Not to mention he save Tokyo from a GOD using PINS and STYLE! Also, I'd like to throw in another vote for Red from Pokemon. The dude beats the Elite Four and then decides to chill on a mountain like some kind of god among men.
  • ShowMeYourKitties - October 20, 2012 11:26 a.m.

"...one of the most determined..."* saves* I really ought to spell check before I post comments...
  • chiz - October 20, 2012 11:08 a.m.

what about red from pokemon??, I know he doesn't really have any personality but he's a regular kid who becomes the champion of the kanto region, plus fighting him in gold/silver is pretty epic :p
  • lmaocarrots - October 20, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Seriously, there is no way a serious game site wouldn't consider Niko Bellic one of the top characters of all time. You guys forgot him! How is this possible!?!
  • Rub3z - October 20, 2012 2:51 p.m.

This is a list of greatest heroes, not characters. It's easy to argue for Niko as among the best characters, but heroes? Tough sell. You could argue there's *some* elements of his story that resemble a hero's journey (simplest one: separation, he's a foreigner in a strange land, after all) but by the end it's only evident that he's the victim of his own delusional aspirations of what his new life in America could be like in the first place. It's a tragedy. The only thing that defines how he moved on from rags to achieving some semblance of peace and prosperity is how many lead-filled bodies he left in his wake. I mean, it's evident early in the game that the reason he left home was to escape. He spends most of his time trying not to think of the terrible life he left behind, of the war. All he finds in America is just another war. Hell, some of the war from back home even manages to find him there. He gets pulled into it anyhow. It's tragic.
  • GameManiac - October 20, 2012 10:27 a.m.

I would've thought Red Savarin (Solatorobo: Red the Hunter) would make the list, after that last sentence you left on that game's review. "Red just may be one of our favorite smart asses to date."
  • will-turner - October 20, 2012 10:08 a.m.

one word: CHELL.
  • HeeyNightmare - October 20, 2012 8:22 a.m.

Spyro!
  • calicutie420 - October 20, 2012 7:40 a.m.

Solid list but no Chell? That makes me sad.
  • IMMRST - October 20, 2012 7:19 a.m.

i didnt like this "top"
  • Lindsaaayerin - October 20, 2012 6:32 a.m.

Auron!! From FFX. He's my favorite character of all time, next to John Marston.