• theguyinthecloset - August 16, 2011 10:05 a.m.

just another reason to hate our species... GOD WE'RE STUPID!!
  • ObliqueZombie - August 5, 2011 5:02 p.m.

This is pathetic. To know that society and damn near every jock and frat boy out there are mindlessly buying "the next Call of Duty," even though they're ALL the same, save for the different era, just really, really angers me. Go buy a game that's actually had some deep thought in it.
  • samuriwerewolf - August 5, 2011 12:37 p.m.

Even as a rabid C.O.D. fan this kinda saddens me. Both Pink Floyd and The Beatles. Well at least AC/DC came out on top. Couldn't give a flying crap about Nemo or the Ukraine though. Now let me ask you in the face of all of this can you really say C.O.D. sucks. You may not like it, you may not like that each sequel is a tweaked version of the previous like every o.s. and thousands of sequels but you cannot say it is not a good game. P.S. Shadows of the Damned was terrible. Original my lily white a-posterior. Just because you mash a bunch of cliched overused elements together in ways they haven't been before *cough* cowboys and aliens *cough* does not make it original. P.P.S. C&A was an awesome movie.
  • paperkut - August 5, 2011 4:57 a.m.

Kentucky fried Foxes? sounds good but yea those numbers are fascinating
  • Gameguy94 - August 4, 2011 10:24 p.m.

FUCK! I bought MW2 new. =( Oh well atleast I bought Black Ops used and traded it in shortly after. I bought Vanquish new too if it helps. =(
  • UsernameLoser - August 4, 2011 10:23 p.m.

@majormoses117 People hate on CoD because every game is exactly like the last in terms of gameplay.
  • UsernameLoser - August 4, 2011 10:21 p.m.

I pretty pissed a majority of gamers would buy the same exact bullshit instead of the timeless creativity of The Beatles.
  • Dman3981 - August 4, 2011 9:16 p.m.

"It sold 40 million copies. The last two Call of Duty games sold 47 million copies. This is a bigger number than 40 million, by roughly 7 million." Thank God you explained that for me, I didn't pass Grade 2 math.
  • majormoses117 - August 4, 2011 8:40 p.m.

I don't get why everyone hates on Call of Duty. Its popular because its good, and I don't even play the multiplayer. Sure, it may seem unfair that a single COD entry can sell 25 million while other, more original games like Shadows of the Damned sell diddly but to not like something just because it is popular isn't right, and to slam the people who like popular things isn't right either. Eventually COD will run out of steam and we won't be getting a new entry every year but until then I will gladly give up 60 bucks to get back in the action. @Timtimhuthut: The gameplay IS balanced. What you're complaining about is that "people are too good at COD and the devs need to level the playing field". Its annoying to start off with shittier guns than everyone else and to not know all the nooks and crannies of every map, but to have a completely level playing field makes no sense. What would be the point of having different weapons? Different perks? The reason for getting new and better guns is so that you can kill more people. If everyone had different guns but with the same stats everyone would be even and there wouldn't be a point to playing, not just COD, but any multiplayer thats too "even".
  • nkoontz93 - August 4, 2011 8:27 p.m.

While that is a staggering amount sold,the figures are biased. Many of the people who bought MW2 also bought black ops, making those sales non-unique. If you apply the same technique to any of the items you say that Call of Duty outsells, you'll find that your figures are incorrect. For instance: pink floyd's "The Wall" averaged about 23 million sells, and "dark side of the moon" has been estimated between 50-100 million sales. The Ukraine's population would need to be counted twice for the year of 2009 (for MW2), and for 2010 (for black ops) for an accurate amount. As for the Beatles, Sergent Pepper... sold about 32 million and 1 sold about 30 million. Of course many people have both the wall and dark side of the moon, sargent pepper and 1, and so on; that's the point. Many CoD enthusiasts bought both, resulting a much smaller amount then your 47 million projected. You simply can't compare two things against one.
  • silencer10 - August 4, 2011 7:52 p.m.

I'm sorry, but it's not "the Ukraine". I am from Ukraine and that just bugs me. You would not say "the Germany" or "the Belgium". I am from Ukraine. I am from Germany. I am from Belgium. No one says I am from the France. The title should be - "Official: Last two Call of Duty games bigger than Finding Nemo, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Ukraine". Thank you.
  • amtran - August 4, 2011 6:18 p.m.

One little problem with the stats - they assume that no one who bought Call of Duty MW2 also bought Black Ops. A fairer comparison to, say, the Finding Nemo example would be to have Finding Nemo and another DVD added up - at least that way the logic is consistent. As it stands there are around 20 some million unique consumers of these two games, you add them up and it's a lot more impressive, but that's just bad stats as you can assume a fair amount of cross-over between those who bought on game and those who bought both, I bet.
  • lilspooky - August 4, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean its good. Look at Crack cocaine!
  • CommandantOreo - August 4, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Hey, people like CoD and so what? Who cares about games like Shadows of the Damned or whatever it is people talk about nowadays. Just because a game is good, doesn't mean it's fun. "Oh look at me, I bought a game that only 255 people bought, I have good tastes in games!"
  • OmgBBQ - August 4, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Why do people have to be so gay? Black Ops doesn't deserve any recognition.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - August 4, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Well, fuck. No way Kotick is gonna give those figures up.
  • ilomilo - August 4, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Wow videogames sure have gotten more "normal" in the past decade. Well its nice to see this but im sad to see Mario Bros lose their crown.
  • wiitard07 - August 4, 2011 4:09 p.m.

You know that you guys did score MW2 higher than Shadows right?
  • mothbanquet - August 4, 2011 3:54 p.m.

@Bamford38 - You raise a valid point. I, personally, won't be buying MW3 on release as MW2's freakishly whacko storyline didn't snyc up in the slightest with MW1's sobering, somewhat believeable affair. I prefer Battlefield for my multiplayer so the single player campaign is all CoD can offer. If Activision kill the franchise then so be it; another modern war series will show up soon enough - after all, isn't that what the original CoD did to Medal of Honor all those years ago?
  • Bamford38 - August 4, 2011 3:33 p.m.

It seems people are getting a bit worked up over me saying people who buy cod are sheep. Im not having a go at people who play cod, everyones entitled to play what they like. All i meant was that its basically the same game every year, and people buy it blindly because it has "call of duty" written on it. Everyone says how amazing cod 4 is and how crap black ops is, and yet they still play it, why not just keep playing cod 4? (im speaking in generals here). It was the same problem with guitar hero. They killed it by releasing a slightly altered version of it every year. Tony Hawk was the same. Im not saying cod is a terrible game, the core mechanics are some of the best youre going to find in the FPS genre. But activision have a history of destroying franchises and its only a matter of time before they do it with cod, which is a shame. In an ideal world activision would give cod a year or 2 off to hone the gameplay and maybe take a few chances to shake it up and possibly create something great. But that wouldnt make them their yearly income. So instead we're going to end up with modern warfare 2.5.