• shawksta - May 2, 2013 2:06 p.m.

heh
  • StrayGator - May 2, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Did they announce which version of MGS1 will be included?
  • elsnichkum - May 2, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your taste) the regular PS1 version is included as a download voucher for the PSN store. Same thing for VR missions.
  • slimjim441 - May 2, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Good save, Kojima. I still remember when he said putting MGS4 on Xbox 360 would ruin the experience, not that 'it just wouldn't work.' Granted, each act would probably have to be on its own disc, but if you really wanted to, which I don't know why you would, it could happen. Kojima just doesn't want it to.
  • jedisamurai - May 2, 2013 12:27 p.m.

I find that lie to be very amusing personally. Game Developers act like like they've never heard of compression. Yes, it would be a bit of work to compress the audio and graphics so that they could fit, but it could EASILY be outsourced and done. How else do you think the company that put resident evil on the N64 could offer to port Final Fantasy VII (a FOUR DISC GAME) onto a normal sized cartridge? I'm sure if asked Kojima would say some nonsense about an unacceptable loss of quality due to compression...which would also not be true.
  • elsnichkum - May 2, 2013 12:58 p.m.

First off, Resident Evil 2 was done because both "discs" used almost the same game, but with different dialogues and situations. As for Final Fantasy 7, I don't have any idea where you got that information, as FF7 was FIRST on n64 and THEN moved to the ps1. MSG4 is a ps3 exclusive and he simply just doesn't want to say it. It's possible to put MGS4 on xbox but that would cost alot of money my friend, especially the legacy collection.
  • jedisamurai - May 3, 2013 10:57 a.m.

I got that information from an article that was published years ago but I sadly did not keep (wish I had because it proved the power of good compression technology even back in the late 90's/early 2000's). I believe you mean it was INTENDED to be n64, and was moved to the ps1 during development. And lastly, I completely agree. It's an exclusive because that's the way Kojima wants it. No other reason. I dislike the fact that he's hiding behind technical limitations that simply do not exist. A lot of money? That's hard to define. What's a "lot of money"? Thousands? Millions? I doubt the cost of farming out the work of compressing down the video and sound would cost millions. Thousands certainly. But given that most of the collection has already been ported, the cost really would not be significant compared to the gains from sales (to look at it in a business way). No, I think Kojima is just a SONY fanboy, like the folks at square.
  • ultimatepunchrod - May 3, 2013 11:38 a.m.

We've learned throughout this gen that the cell processor in the PS3 is a very different piece of hardware than the 360's. It stands to reason that if Kojima Productions poured all of their development money into making something specifically for the PS3 then it may be difficult to port that over to a different type of architecture. Difficult in this case can equate to very expensive.
  • jedisamurai - May 3, 2013 5:52 p.m.

Good point.
  • elsnichkum - May 3, 2013 12:04 p.m.

I don't know what your beef is with Kojima, but the dude is a very versatile man. He isn't a Sony fanboy, the metal gear series have always been on a variety of platforms from the nes to pc to xbox and even the GameCube. As for the money argument...money is money dude. Doing anything with games is expensive as shit.
  • jedisamurai - May 3, 2013 5:57 p.m.

Yes you do. It was the first thing I said. He LIED to his fans. I'd just like people to tell the truth. And yes, he is a fanboy. Heck I was just reading a page about secrets in the Metal Gear games that called him one (after I called him one). The dude goes out of his way to kiss up to SONY every chance he gets. Now I'm cool with that. I'd just rather he said "I/We have no interest in porting Metal Gear Solid 4 to the 360 at this time. Why? Because it's our game and we can do whatever we want." rather than trying to make it look like there are some non-existent technical limitations in the system itself. Another example of something he could have said: "We don't want to spend the money to do a solid conversation and lackluster one like the crappy Zone of Enders port we put out on PS3 would only embarrass the company further."
  • Divine Paladin - May 4, 2013 7:08 a.m.

Ah, fanboys who resort to calling respected game developers fanboys just to justify their own opinions. Slight joke aside, once you create a massive, 25-50gb game entirely on the PS3's architechture, and then learn the actual problems of the porting process, instead of just reciting that "it's not hard guize!" without any specific points being used besides compression (which is a very minuscule part of the porting process when you look at the massive differences between the actual hardware of the PS3 and 360), maybe you can talk. You yourself referenced the difficulties of porting from one to another with Zone of the Enders, and while you cite that game's issues on developer selfishness/laziness, the actual problem is that it's simply not cost-effective to port games from one to another from the ground up, as is almost always necessary with exclusive games. Why do you think BioShock 1 was so shoddy on PS3? Because there's simply not enough of an audience to make up for the huge development costs of essentially remaking a game. I doubt MGS4 would even gain even half of the profits needed to make up for a complete port. While you can use compression as your reasoning as much as you want, and cite mid-1990s compressing as your logic, you're still ignoring the glaring differences between the architecture of the systems being ported to and from. A PS1-N64 conversion is nowhere near as difficult because barring some slight changes in processing power, they're the same to develop for. A PS3-Xbox conversion requires a complete engine overhaul. If you're going to argue further, feel free, but please become fully educated on all of the facets of porting instead of just pointing out a single one and sticking to it as if it's the only problem.
  • jedisamurai - May 4, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Fair enough. If you want to talk about porting difficulties I'd point out that making a PS3 to 360 port ought to be easier than say... A PS3 to PC conversion. The chipset at the heart of the PS3 and 360 is the same. Sure there are some differences with the rest of the architecture, and if Kojima didn't develop the thing with dual systems on mind doing a port DOES suddenly become that much more difficult. This merely reinforces my point. He's a SONY fan and NEVER intended to port the game to 360. By now so much work was done making the game work only on the PS3 that porting it to ANY system would be expensive. I don't mind being called a fanboy. But as an owner of a PS3 and metal gear solid 4 I don't think the term applies...
  • Divine Paladin - May 4, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Well, I can't disagree with the PS3-PC conversion (I simply never brought it up). I really don't have a comment about Kojima preferring Sony, however (fanboy joke aside); my argument was purely about the difficulties of porting itself, because you seemed to underplay the situation when I was reading your comments.
  • Relzen - May 3, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Cry some more?
  • gaseoussnake - May 3, 2013 5:51 p.m.

ff7 was never on n64
  • jedisamurai - May 4, 2013 7:27 a.m.

You're right it wasn't. Square turned the offer down likely thinking what everyone here is saying. Too costly not enough profits. I had the same reaction as now. Greedy little suckers ain't they? Where's the love for fans?
  • sleepyMexican45 - May 4, 2013 2:02 a.m.

I literally praised the heavens when Resi 2 came to '64! :D that was so long ago! :O
  • kyleander95 - May 2, 2013 12:23 p.m.

well fuck