• KnowYourPokemon - September 8, 2012 5:03 a.m.

Just lower the price a bit and have it so people need some form of demo of their game present. If I'm going to be voting for something to actually be purchasable through steam why should I just take for granted that it might be good? Actually showing me what the game is does a much better job in making me realize if I want it or not. Otherwise this is basically just Kickstarter without money.
  • MidgardDragon - September 8, 2012 3:23 a.m.

Just lower the cost to 25 dollars. It will still prevent trolling and joke entries, still get money to charity, and be cheap enough for even small devs to afford.
  • Redeater - September 7, 2012 11:21 p.m.

It's less than the price of two new releases.........plus it's going to charity. If you don't have $100 to spend funding an idea of yours what are you doing with a $500 iPhone, a $300 PS3, a $300 360 and/or whatever the price of a computer is these days. Christ, if people are going to complain about something, complain about the shitheads who completely ruined it for everyone when it was free!
  • Redeater - September 7, 2012 11:26 p.m.

I have a sneaking suspicion most of the people complaining are going to be the same dinks waiting in line for a week just to fork over $500-$600 for an iPhone 5 because their 4 is slightly slower.
  • ParagonT - September 8, 2012 4:56 a.m.

I will add that not everyone buys their own system, some get it for a present and other ways as well. Not to mention that they probably didn't buy them all out right in bulk, they probably acquired their systems and property over time. Finally, there's no guarantee that these people even have what you've mentioned, so I don't think its very much relevant to be honest. This is paying one hundred dollars just for your idea to be voted on and maybe shot down. Just because a person puts in days and months of idea planning then pays a hundred does not mean that the community will like it. So as Dave posted on a previous article, its like buying a lottery ticket. I would just think that lowering the amount would fix the problem.
  • Redeater - September 8, 2012 11:03 a.m.

I understand what you are trying to say but those people are clearly in the minority. Peoples priorities have gotten so fucked up in the last decade or so. I have seen obviously financially fucked people using the newest $500 smartphone. I can go to any bar in my city and watch "poor" college kids drop $100+ in one night. Hell, we are supposed to still be within a recession but I always see kids with iPod Touches, 3DS machines and even the odd Vita!!! My point is that even when I was in University and buying cheap assed Colt 45's because normal beer was too expensive for my student loan riddled ass.....if I felt passionately about something I had created then I would have no qualms gambling with a $100 on something I loved.
  • Redeater - September 8, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Regardless, I hope it works out for everyone in the end. I find myself skipping most AAA titles and enjoying the hell out of titles like Grimrock and Mcpixel.
  • funster - September 7, 2012 9:16 p.m.

Why $100 even? I would think $10 or so would be plenty sufficient to discourage the vast majority of nonsense admissions.
  • Gazanator101 - September 7, 2012 6:40 p.m.

I don't see why people are so angry over this. I think it's fair. And Steam is not the only PC platform! Don't just put your game up on there and expect people to find it and like it. You got to build up a reputation and a fanbase by releasing the game elsewhere, like Desura, or IndieCity. You got to promote your game, or the development of it prior to that via a personal company website, or Facebook, or Twitter, etc. I'm indie, and I'm designing my first game at the moment. And I'm not going to just stick my game on Greenlight and pay $100, and cross my fingers, you got to have a plan. Though it's going to charity, which is nice, you're still not guaranteed to get your game on Steam. People have really got to stop hating on it. Okay, yes, Greenlight is a bit of a mess at the moment, and could do with some tweaking. If you're indie, make yourself noticed, make your game noticed, it would be a dream to get your game onto Steam, I know that, but there are alternatives, and then when you have that plan of action, submit it to Greenlight, and hope for the best. At least, with this fee, we can say goodbye to these trolls, am I right? Of course I am.
  • ParagonT - September 8, 2012 5:01 a.m.

I think the reason they're angry is due to the price of the submission fee. Lowering it will probably fix the whole situation. If someone is willing to waste 50-10 dollars submitting a gag, then that's just money going to charity. I don't think it necessarily needs to be 100 to fix the problem.
  • CrashmanX - September 7, 2012 6:39 p.m.

If you want to be a "Game Developer" and you can't forwards $100 for a hopeful project, you're probably better off just going full indie and launching a site for it. Then use the funds from that to put the game on Steam.