• rockbottom - July 16, 2011 10:52 a.m.

I keep hearing all these arguments about why PC's are better game machines but you all seem to be missing the real reason consoles are best. They fit with your life better. Simple as that. You can play them in your living room, on your big 50" HD TV, sitting on your comfy couch eating snacks and generally being included in the everyday life of your family. Instead of spending endless hours alone in a forgotten, darkened room somewhere at the other end of the house hunched on an office chair squinting at your pitiful (yet still ridiculously expensive) 15" monitor. Graphics may look better but that's mainly cos your screen is smaller and you have to sit nearer to it. Also, how exactly do you play a game with someone you care about, ie someone you live with. Real friend, not online stranger. My son and I love to game together, great bonding time over Halo or Fifa or Tekken etc. PC's simply can not compete anymore for people who have a life outside their bedrooms.
  • bedelicious - July 16, 2011 10:39 a.m.

I only have a PC, I just never got around buying a console. I always end up spending my money for something else... plus I can't decide which console is the better choice XD But anyway, the PC has great games to offer, I'm used to the controls and I use it for so many other things, so it's a package deal for me. I will eventually buy a console for all the great exclusives I'm missing out on, but I don't see ever giving up my PC :D
  • whatarethesestrawberriesdoingonmynipplesineedthemforfruitsalad - July 16, 2011 10:28 a.m.

EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU DESERVES A MEDAL more pc content on GR ftw! Great stuff, Matt!
  • snothammer - July 16, 2011 8:36 a.m.

I promised myself and my girlfriend that as soon as I pay off my student loans, I'm buying a kick-ass gaming pc. The idea was seeded in my mind at least a year ago (probably via Tyler Nagata, because his arguments for why pc gaming will 'win' the year are flawless, even we all know it's not necessarily true commercially-speaking), but it was the announcement of the Wii-U that really put me over the edge. I said to myself, "I'm done with this gimmicky bullshit, I just want to play games". Console manufacturers are all about making money, good games are simply a coincidental product of that. PCs serve other purposes, so there's really no worry about your console of choice no longer being made because they manufacturer decided it wasn't profitable enough (Microsoft will stop making consoles after the current cultural gaming boom ends, trust me). I have an old-ass PC that I'm upgrading (namely RAM and videocard) that I plan to use to play old games that I missed out on (Warcraft 3 is on that list, of course). Unfortunately, it can't handle most modern games, so a new PC will be mine soon enough. Additionally, PCs can run MAME, zSNES, etc. So, all those amazing games you played years ago? Yeah, you can get them for free, and make an arcade cabinet for your house. I plan to do that with my current desktop after I get the new PC. Despite all my PC gaming dreams, I know I won't forget about my consoles. Just as the PC has unique experiences, consoles also have unique and worthwhile experiences. A PC can never replace the nostalgia of blowing on your NES carts so you can play SMB3. So, in conclusion. Thanks for writing this guide. It's another resource for me to use to reach gaming dreams that seemed so far away before.
  • faraany3k - July 16, 2011 7:55 a.m.

There is one strategy game that will make every consoler drop there jaw. World in Conflict Other games DAWN OF WAR 1 and 2 Shogun 2 Terrira (This much creativity on console is nearly impossible) Killing Floor King Arther Champions Online League of Legends Lord Of the Rings Online Runes of Magic MapleStory and hundreds of Indie games, like EETS
  • DeeEss - July 16, 2011 7:08 a.m.

Great article, mr. Keast. I have a gaming rig, a PS3 and an XboX360, but I prefer playing most games on my PC. There is nothing that comes close to cranking Witcher 2 up to max, and scorching your retinas with gorgeous on the consoles. That said, I do enjoy consoles, and they do have their advantages, like couch co-op with friends. But for me, the PC wins on performance (with a decent rig), community and controls, which I concider most important.
  • moubinghafoory - July 16, 2011 6:35 a.m.

You have no idea how much this is helping me! I have been dying to get into PC gaming. I've been especially itching for Starcraft 2, but the system requirements for that is a bitch to work with! And the tools and tweaks and stuff could help my piece of crap PC too.
  • quincytheodore - July 16, 2011 6:28 a.m.

Oh, the irony.. I used to be PC gamer, but since Warcraft 3 (DotA) I switched to console. I found console to be less economically challenged, trust me where I live, it is. Never look back since... that's what I wanna say, but when I saw Witcher 2, a tear unwillingly dropped. Because my friend trolled me all the way while I watched he's playing. But seriously, I think each has its own perks. Let's just embrace your console, or the lacko... I mean PC and stop hating. That was a joke, don't send me, "I have PC and console too -profanity-"
  • Robusken - July 16, 2011 6:04 a.m.

Ah thank you for writting this Matt. I've always been a causal PC gamer, only my weak machines are really stopping me. I'm sure one of the first things I'll purchase when I get a job is a good gaming PC. Also just in general the tips you have for keeping your PC in shape are things that will practically help anyone , gamer or not so thanks for that as well.
  • DrunkSinceNoon - July 16, 2011 6 a.m.

It's unfortunate that folks comment on PC games as if they know what they are talking about. Saying that a machine turns obsolete in a matter of weeks is preposterous. Even when the gaming power of the PC is at a level that it's not worth upgrading, you still have a very capable computer to do all the other shit that PCs are so good at doing.
  • ZigzMagoo - July 16, 2011 5:55 a.m.

@copedude I remember when I used to be a console fool like you. I just got a thousand dollar laptop, that can run any game released now, or within the next year or two on ultra. I have spent at least that much money on multiple xboxes and expensive AAA games. PC wins. Steam always has crazy deals going on, plus just better exclusives. Everything is better on PC
  • G0D - July 16, 2011 3:44 a.m.

wow this was a great article, nice job. and Mr. Grim, thanks for supporting the cause
  • OneToBoner - July 16, 2011 3:43 a.m.

Thank you Matt! Culture them on the master race! If there is anything that keeps me a PC gamer, it's the mods. I firmly believe that they will always justify PC gaming.
  • Starplatinum - July 16, 2011 3:33 a.m.

I like gamesradar's funny ass articles and all, but this is the best thing you guys have ever posted imo.
  • seantheman - July 16, 2011 3:31 a.m.

This is very ironic I was thinking of switching to pc later this year.
  • copedude - July 16, 2011 3:14 a.m.

@Valcirc Running games on lower settings pretty much defeats PC games main argument. You guys all say how good the graphics are but when console gamers complain about cost PC gamers just say to play with worse graphics.
  • AFilthyIbis - July 16, 2011 3:10 a.m.

put together a gaming on a gaming pc two years ago for $800, it's still going strong. Still getting around 180 fps on TF2 on which I have 700 hours. I'd call that a solid investment.
  • Myko - July 16, 2011 2:53 a.m.

PC gaming FTW, I have a comp that is 2 years old and can still play great games on it with great resolution, and when you said about browsing newegg and getting an e-boner, I get it all the time I am on there, just looking for something I would like to upgrade my system with, plus if I ever feel that I want to kick back and hook it up to my big screen I can do that and hook up a controller, be it xbox or ps, and you want motion controls check out Razer Hydra, that is so much better than PS and Wii has to offer, but on a side not I still have my consoles, however I rarely use them as much as my PC, only thing I use my xbox for is fighting games, and I am hoping to make an arcade system out of it, that is what pc gaming has lead me to, creativity to make things, just as I have cut out and added things to make my pc look unique I have learned much of the hardware in the process that has helped me fix plenty of xbox RROD issues such as overheating, loose soldering, etc.
  • rabidpotatochip - July 16, 2011 2:45 a.m.

Ah, the age-old debate of PC vs console. I'm a PC gamer for three simple reasons: 1) I don't have to share the TV with anyone 2) Mods, holy crap there are a lot for Oblivion 3) My computer is sexy. The argument of cost is certainly valid to a point, I only spent $700 building my system despite sticking to a strict black and blue color code for my parts. What I recommend is buying a little higher end if you're on the market anyway, otherwise more RAM and a new video card will probably be enough to get you into PC gaming without spending over $100. As for upgrading, don't bother until you have to. I upgrade about every two to three years and the cost is never over $200. Pro tip: if you want to get parts on the cheap learn to fix computers, you'll acquire enough spare parts to build a decent gaming rig for almost zero cost. I've actually built and donated a grand total of four systems so far, the most recent going to the local library. As much as I respect consoles, you can't rip them apart and use the pieces in other ones as easily.
  • CommandantOreo - July 16, 2011 2:33 a.m.

fizzy pop:How to get into Pc Gaming: Quit being an arrogant pc gamer.