• Sjoeki - November 8, 2013 5:37 a.m.

I can remember some nintendo/sega battles back in the day. Now I don't really care what people play on, I know what I prefer and that all 3 consoles have their own strengths. I do tend to push games though and I can get worked up if people trash games that I love. Never really had that with anything other then games or consoles and cartoons back in the day. (screw your GI-Joe, Transformers is the shit!!!!) Till Breaking Bad that is, Got some people to try and watch that show and they tend to agree with me, but I think I might have made some enemies with my enthousiasm.
  • Britslop - November 8, 2013 5 a.m.

I think the internet and social media has been instrumental in creating a kind of uber-fanboy. When I was kid, being a fanboy meant a bit of playground banter on the merits of Sonic vs the merits of Mario. Now, you have entire forums and comment sections taken up by the venomous outpourings of people who wish harm on others just because they prefer Sony over Microsoft, or whatever. It's getting out of control, and I find it all depressing. There used to be an element of fun in being a fanboy, a witty back-and-forth that traded on ribbing and playful insults, but everyone seems to be so damn serious and nasty about it lately.
  • MeanwhileGuy - November 8, 2013 3:43 a.m.

Oh man, definitely, but for two different companies. I was a Nintendo fanboy (before I even knew what the word meant) when I was a kid and early teens (over 400 hours on Pokemon Silver), and I championed the Gamecube from the moment it was announced to anyone who would listen. I would also regularly hang out a my friends' house and play Rogue Squadron and Super Smash Bros. But then I was persuaded to get a PS2 by my younger brother, and for almost a decade I never looked back, From the moment I turned my trusty old fat PS2 on, and heard the fwoosh as it loaded up Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (hey, don't judge me), I was hooked. I have incredibly fond memories of the PS2 days, with MGS2 & 3, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, DMC, Sly Cooper, Resident Evil and Tony Hawks. PS3, for me, has been no different, and has provided me with memories and entertainment above and beyond what the PS2 offered. So yeah, my loyalty is primarily Sony's, but I recognise the pointlessness of missing out on an entire other console, so I have a 360 as well, mostly because I'm a big fan of the Halo series, plus both my girlfriend and best friend are primarily Xbox gamers, That said, I'm buying a PS4 because I think Microsoft dropped the ball with the Xbone, and showed that they really don't give a sh*t about the consumers or actual gaming.
  • JarkayColt - November 8, 2013 3:42 a.m.

I don't think I'm a fanboy. I can't be because I respect other people's opinions too much. When I was growing up I would have both a Sony console and a Nintendo handheld, and right now I primarily play on my PS3 or 3DS. I like to think I'm fairly open to anything (including most genres). There are series I love, like Pokémon and, dare I say it, Ape Escape, but I hardly hold them in the highest esteem and downtalk everything else, which is what I perceive a "fanboy" to be. I do admit that I'm fairly indifferent to Microsoft's Xbox, but I don't pile hate on anyone who has one, because at the end of the day, it's a flipping video games console. Why should it matter what we choose to play our silly little pieces of interactive entertainment on? XD That's what I thought whenever I was at a friend's who had a different console to me; they chose Xbox, I chose PlayStation, but who cares, because we both like games and the console they're running on is going to be completely forgotten in the middle of a multiplayer or pad-passing scramble. I don't think any of the three companies are saints; they've all made their fair share of mistakes over the years.
  • Shnubby - November 8, 2013 3:36 a.m.

I was a massive SEGA fan, I loved my Megadrive and Dreamcast! Of course I had a PS1 as well but when I first saw the power of the Dreamcast it just blew me away. No console since has given me the same experience which is why I still argue today that the Dreamcast is my favourite console of all time. Back in the day Shenmue was just so damn realistic that it was hard to believe that it was just a game! Still waiting on Shenmue III though...
  • mafyooz - November 8, 2013 12:04 a.m.

I was a big Sega fan back when I was a teenager in the 90s, but because I'm now a (mostly) rational adult, combined with the fact that there's so much crossover of software these days, I find it really hard to understand all the rabid fanboyism that goes on. I do favour Sony machines because I prefer the controllers, I think generally Sony are a better company than Microsoft, Nintendo seem to be mired in the idea that just waving Mario around will make up for any hardware shortcomings and I'm simply too lazy to mess around building and updating a gaming PC. But I wouldn't get into a petty online arguement about which was better, anymore than I'd hurl abuse at a stranger for having a different toaster. Game on what you want people, and enjoy it, that's all that matters.
  • pusur - November 7, 2013 11:27 p.m.

Well i really like the playstation but i have gone over to pc now, The Playstation will always have a special place in my heart. I also belive Ratchet & Clank 1-3 was the best games ever created. I miss them :(
  • g1rldraco7 - November 7, 2013 11:08 p.m.

I was a Wii fangirl when the Wii came out due to me playing only Nintendo consoles and yes I am a Zelda fangirl to boot. I remember getting into arguments with Xbox users online until my older brother had me play a game on his 360. On 2/25 of 2012 is when the Wii fangirl part of me died because I got the 360 hooks dug into me so deep, it made me put my Wii away. I am still a digimon fan, but I believe the first two seasons of the series are the best.
  • AKALMoumen - November 7, 2013 8:41 p.m.

Ok... I don't know if it's werid but it is the best selling console in history... I was a PS2 fanboy... It was a very original system in it's diversity not that it had fps, platformers, RPGs, and fighting games it did... But within them we had JRPGs and western... we had funny racers and sims... we buttoning mashing fighters and combo whoring ones... 3rd person shooters and FPSs... and all varied not to many character or story repetitions... Jak and Daxter were mystical, Ratchet and Clank we're futuristic, Sly was stealthy but cartoony... Solid sneak was serious and philosophically stealthy... we had syphon filter the first and 2nd god of war the tom clancy series especially the original conspiracy theory driven splinter cell trilogy... GT and Killzone... SOCOM... Final fantasy 10 and my favorite 12 AND TIME MOTHERFUCKING SPLITTERS! (I know 2 and 3 were on the xbox but I got introduced to the series by the 1st game which was an exclusive to the PS2)... It was the perfect console for kid craving adulthood... every game deserved applause... It was easy to be bias then too but you couldn't argue with sony... they had good sense and I was their b***... I had every other console too my brothers we're a lot older so we had all the consoles from the 3rd up to the 5th generation... and I really thought the dreamcast was an evolution worth trying bummer it failed and I got an xbox as a gift... but I some how ended up with a little under a 1000 ps2 games and almost 10 years of just playing one console (got my PS3 in 2009)... I know insane but it was my love of the machine... It might not be a favorite because it might be considered too mainstream... but for me it'll always be the ultimate system because it delivered two things that logically never work... quantity that was filled almost to the brim with quality... I guess I'm still a PS2 fanboy haha... well my 5 all time favorite games (one is a collection more than a game) are on it (FFXII, MGS series, TimeSplitters fucking all of them!!!, Tekken 3, and Rouge Galaxy) BTW RG was my Dark Souls when I was 12... ofc J&D, R&C, SF and all the major series are 6 down to about 50!... I do like to play all consoles thou as I said I own about every console from 3rd up till now and I love all sweethearts I even enjoyed halo and loved 2... But I'd take a bullet for my PS2!...
  • AKALMoumen - November 7, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Wow this dummy.. This whole thing means nothing if you didn't add Kingdom Hearts stupid... Anyways Yea take out Tekken 3 and insert Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 coz those games we're like a beautiful twisted happy/sad dream....
  • brickman409 - November 7, 2013 8:40 p.m.

I used to be a huge Nintendo fan, i grew up with GameCube and N64. They were the best! Back then, I didn't really care much for PS2 or Xbox. I used to think they were just for sports, and racing games, because my brother had an Xbox, and he only had games that were sports or racing. It wasn't until I played Fallout 3 for the 360 that I started playing other consoles. I was kind of an Xbox fan for a while too, but then my 360 got the red ring, so I got a PS3.
  • GR HollanderCooper - November 8, 2013 6:30 p.m.

I was the most die-hard GameCube fanboy effffer.
  • bang1221 - November 7, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Probably would have to say Final Fantasy 6-10 would have to be the only thing i'm close to being a "fanboy" of in video games, even though i know some of the titles in the series aren't the greatest (8 holds a very special place in my heart even though its probably the weakest story wise). Outside of video games though Game of Thrones is the one thing that gets my 100% absolute fanboy
  • taokaka - November 7, 2013 7:42 p.m.

I used to outright be a PS3 fanboy but now I'm just an avid gamer, although I do this weird thing where I go into retaliation fanboyism if I'm speaking with a fanboy. For example If I'm speaking with a PC elitist I will take on the role of a console fanboy and argue how amazing the AAA exclusives are and how fun split screen is, but when I talk to a console fanboy I say argue how unique indie games are and how easy it is to play older games on PC. Or if I come across a steam fanboy I'll argue the merits of GoG, I'll defend sony from Xbox fans and then I'll go on to defend the WiiU from PS4 fans despite having a PS4 preorder myself and not owning a wii U.
  • bang1221 - November 7, 2013 8:41 p.m.

i didn't even know steam vs GoG was a thing.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - November 7, 2013 9 p.m.

You and the rest of the world.
  • taokaka - November 7, 2013 9:01 p.m.

I make it a thing!
  • Helios - November 7, 2013 9:19 p.m.

Spend some time on the GOG forums and you'll see it crop up. Granted, it isn't quite the same as, say, Xbox 360 fanboyism versus PS3 fanboyism; I don't even know if it's right to call it fanboyism at all. But basically, some Steam users think Steam is the best thing ever and all other online stores pale in comparison (notice I said "some"). Some GOG users think Steam is nasty DRM and anybody who uses it is giving the game industry permission to withhold our rights to games that we paid money for. I'm generalizing a bit, but that's the gist of it. Also, I'm sure that the actual number of people who believe one way or the other is much smaller than the number of people who use both services; they just tend to be louder than everyone else.
  • bang1221 - November 7, 2013 9:41 p.m.

i know there is steam fanboys but i just didnt know they viewed gog as competition. Ive used gog maybe once and saw nothing wrong with it. I just use steam more because i cant find the games on gog that i enjoy playing. Besides i thought steam fanboys mostly just bashed Origin or Games for Windows Live or were just PC elitist in general,
  • JakePPetersen - November 7, 2013 7:37 p.m.

I'm a bit of a Sly Cooper fanboy. In fact, one of the reasons I bought a PS3 over a 360 all the way back in 2009 was that any future Sly Cooper games would be coming out on it. I had a bit of a wait, but my patience was finally rewarded with the kickass Thieves in Time back in February. Totally worth missing out on Halo and Gears for it.