• JohnnyMaverik - January 16, 2010 4:04 a.m.

Just to confirm, I bring up Call of juarez BIB as an example that no great western games have ever actually been made (again, if you don't count TF2, which personally I don't really, great game though) and therefore analysing sales of past western games woulden't tell you much. They've all been avarage at best and not caught the eye of your more casual, mainstream gamer, who don't check future release lists and read previews. However I think since it's announcement a lot of people have realized theres nothing they want more than a good western game, couple that with the rockstar stamp, and the fact they're bound to publisise the hell out of it (considering how much it's likely to have cost them to develop it), in my mind it's almost a dead cert for success. Should be on the fking pc though, for shame rockstar...
  • JohnnyMaverik - January 16, 2010 3:30 a.m.

I agree on all of them expect project needlemouse and Red Dead Redemption. The first because sonic games always sell, and if this one ends up being a true return to form, and true return to the sonic hardcore gamers who grew up in the 90's (or had done their growing up) will jump all over it. So you have the sales that come from just being a game that bear's the name Sonic, and the sales from actually being the first true sonic game for god knows how long. That all rests on whether or not it'll be good of course, but even if it isn't, it'll still sell. As for Red Dead Redemption, I've heard nothing but hype from fellow gamers concerning this one, and I think your wrong about there not being demand for a western themed game, I meen off the top of my head Call of Juarez BIB is the best Western Themed game yet (unless you count TF2) and that was just avarage. Hype has a habit of rubbing off and if this one picks up atleast nods of approval from critics, if not all out lavished praise, aswell as getting a good marketing campaign going, I see it going the same way a Boderlands, a suprising success on all accounts. Sure that won't be GTA4 level's of success but success is success which ever way you look at it.
  • AnonymouZ - January 16, 2010 3:19 a.m.

lul at the guys releasing their games next to, or at the same time of FFXII and GoWIII... Shame for the marketing dudes, but at least i'll get Yakuza 3 and another (j)rpg for a bargain price. xD
  • SuperStingray - January 16, 2010 3:05 a.m.

I gotta disagree on the not caring about Sonic thing. I mean, I'm not saying anything about the games, but if no one cared, we wouldn't still be talking about him.
  • Heyexclamationpoint - January 16, 2010 2:53 a.m.

The biggest strike against Capcom Vs The Anime Characters is that it's on the friggin' Wii.
  • AyJay - January 16, 2010 2:41 a.m.

The reason why 3rd party Wii games sell badly is because they are either too weird and different or a in a niche genre. Think about it. Madworld had a strange visual style and was ultra-vioent. Games with strange visual styles usually don't sell well. HoTD Overkill, Extraction and Darkside Chronicles are all Light Gun shooters, which don't usually light up the charts anyway. They're fairly short games. People don't want to pay full price for a really short game, even if it's got high replayability.
  • crumbdunky - January 16, 2010 2:11 a.m.

Sega complaining about western gamers not buying Yakuza games is so effin's rich I could spit buckets of coiling bile in their direction. They're usless at maerketing it and , yes, a lot of those who asked for Y3 possibly won't buy it-and why? Because Y4 will be out near the same time and we wanted it WAY sooner than this March FFS! They've managed to pitch in on PS3 alongside GOW3 and FF13(which just about covers it's target audiences in one fell swoop -the idiots!)yet they'll fail to promote or stock it properly when it releases as well and STILL blame us and not their idiotic selves. Seriously, I couldn't preorder a copy at my local Game(of Y2) because they said that they had no idea how many, if any, copies would actually arrive and I ended up having to buy it online and I had similar trojhubles with the first. Now think:I knew about and actively went seeking the game but never once saw an advert for it in the press or on TV so how do they ever expect to sell any copies of the series?It's like they only want Japanese gamers playing it! How was someone who didn't read gaming websites(ie the VAST majority of gamers in the world)ever going to know it was out let alone find and buy a freakin' copy? Honstly, there prolly won't be a UK/US demo either! Useless. So if it fails then just why is anyone outside of Sega to blame exactly? Good list anyway, GR, though having played the DI demo a couple of times I'm not so certain it's gonna be particularly deservcing of our momney anyway as it's got none of the sparkle of Dead space and feels distinctly like a second division GOW clone, sadly, as I really wanted it to forge it's own gameplay ID as I respect it's developers. RDR, BTW, should do OK as I imagine it's going to be VERY good and garner a litle hype because of it this time round. Every preview(despite the rumoured near slavery(sarcasm) going on at R*SD)I've seen has been uber positive nd very impresed with the sory, combat and the atmosphere provided by the living, open world of it all. Lstly, you shoukld have included one game that's going to fail miserably for all the right reasons as and example of when it's good fopr games to flop:Dark Void! Not only did it's demo play like arse(and someone elses clinker encrusted, sweaty arse at that)with crappy ground combat that felt like playing Gears in treacle but with a greasy piglet instead of a gun, flight controls that not only have you weilding dual stick but pressing theR3 button as well as making even me motion sick(first time EVER!)but it even LOOKS like cack too! Models are shoddy and uber generic. Nolan North's career will be killed by the crappy lines he has to utter and may be so scarrd he never reprises the role we all relly care about for U3 as a result! No, Capcom, just no. GR it would be a public service to truly savage this game which is another opf Capcoms current gen stinkers right up there with the borderline insulting Chop Til you effing Drop. Sometimes a game deserves the beating of a lifetime rather than being allowed to slink off into the shadows while other, often better games, attract more flak! Some games i'm definitely buying on that list as well-Tats Vs Capcom is one of their games i'd happily buy (though I haven't seena UK date for it yet-assuming it does have one though as we all know that the biggest Tatsunako fanclub outside Kyoto is in Wigan), Yakuza3(I will not have Sega blaming ME!)RDR, RoF(not generic when swords<guns for farkin once in a jrpg is it?)and Okamiden are all on my release week buying or preorder list and I'lk prolly pick up the other at some point along the way as well unless I finally weaken and get a Lovefilm rental sub for my gaming-which I really should as I resolved NOT to still finish a game this year when it's crap! My jury is still way out in chambers discussing the chanmces of The Grinder being good opr selling well or working over the shonky Wiiconnect network, though, having, finally, been underwhelmed by every aspect of The Conduit(yes, even the customisation as there was, if anyhing a little TOO much choice there and I STILL can;'t settle on what's best for me on or offline!
  • Conman93 - January 16, 2010 2:08 a.m.

Ill probably give dantes inferno a rent at the least.. Hopefully, Jesus will descend to the earth again and comand everyone to buy okamiden
  • nik41507 - January 16, 2010 1:57 a.m.

Hey GR You're not Sonics audience anymore Do you understand? Do you remember when the original Sonic came out? Now the kids of today will be having maybe the same reaction that you had if its good.
  • Amnesiac - January 16, 2010 1:39 a.m.

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to release Resonance of Fate on the same day as FFXIII? I can't even wrap my head around such a boneheaded move.
  • Xeacons - January 16, 2010 12:56 a.m.

Basically, we bet on one of two scenarios for the Wii: a repeat of '09 (a slew of silent hits, everything from Grinder to Red Steel 2), or a hardcore wake-up call. If the former happens, that should finalize the Wii's flatline (hey, we're ready for the next cycle anyway). If the latter happens, that means the hits of 09 were enough to bring back the fans, and almost nothing should flop. I don't see any in-between here.
  • Cyberninja - January 16, 2010 12:52 a.m.

TvsC will sell well alot of people plan on buying it on day 1 same goes for okamiden
  • symphonicdeathpop - January 16, 2010 12:37 a.m.

RoF is actually one of the least generic JRPGs to have come out in recent times. Releasing it the same day as FF though... awful idea.
  • MilesProwerFan - January 16, 2010 12:07 a.m.

If the next Sonic game is a flop, I fear the series might be dead.
  • MilesProwerFan - January 16, 2010 12:06 a.m.

If the next Sonic game is rubbish, I fear the series will be dead.
  • Dreddie - January 15, 2010 11:57 p.m.

I think Red Dead will do just fine. Myself and a handful of my friends r just a few of the people who cant wait 4 that game regardless of what comes out at the same time.
  • OneEyedGoon - January 15, 2010 11:33 p.m.

@RON1N: RoF could be good, maybe even better than FFXIII. But being good or not won't help is sales-wise against a main FF title. Even if Okamiden is crap, I will buy a copy out of solidarity.
  • Metroidhunter32 - January 15, 2010 11:31 p.m.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is the only one I'm really looking at. Most I don't have systems for and The Grinder doesn't look enough like L4D to interest me. So I might be responsable for some of these deaths.
  • Yeager1122 - January 15, 2010 11:29 p.m.

I really didnt expect Red dead redemption to be on this list i myself cant wait for the game and will be buying it on day one.
  • R0N1N - January 15, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Way to rag on Resonance of Fate before a single review in released, even in Japan. What is it about the militaristic, steam-punk setting of RoF that look generic? Uh, is it the gunplay? I haven't played too many JRPG's that feature gunplay - at least, not generic ones. You know, as opposed to FFXIII's regugitation of all of the series' past elements? Lightning is even supposed to "look" like Cloud Strife. Why are you so hostile towards this game that you obviously know nothing about? (Since you didn't really elaborate upon it at all, besides the fact that it's released on the same day as FFXII and that it looks "generic".) I plan on preordering it. FFXIII looks like a bunch of tired crap compared to RoF.