• Montag - May 5, 2010 10:57 p.m.

I totally agree with this article. The in fighting is very different to any other game. It is any of your enemies fighting anybody else. In Halo the flood fought anybody, it isn't the covenant against covenant. Also the exploits were accidents, they weren't cheats or developer modes, they were proper errors which you could use to your advantage (or just die). Would quite like it though if you could have ended the piece with something like... I would give Windows Solitaire 160% because I like the colours and Fallout 3 is shit because of the animation of my finger They make me laugh
  • Hobojedi - May 5, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Oh god, seeing 2+ archvilles in the same room that you killed a bunch of baddies in will literally make you want to cry. And lots of the remixed Doom music is really great too.
  • OldRustyDusty - May 5, 2010 10:27 p.m.

Doom was the first fps I ever played. And I'd agree, no modern game comes close to it in terms of terrifying enemies, especially Doom II which was released just a year after the original. The Archville was always absolutely terrifying, and arachnotrons make Alma look like a pansy. Especially on the harder difficulties, a lot of the enemies were just nasty and could take away most of your health in a single hit. The original resident evils came close in the fright factor, but the enemies were not as bizarre. Silent Hill is probably on par. What modern fps has enemies that makes you actually run away even though your supposed to be fighting them?
  • Modroneman - May 5, 2010 10:18 p.m.

I get what the article is saying, Doom was awesome!
  • Cyberninja - May 5, 2010 10:03 p.m.

wow they need to remake doom than
  • TURbo - May 5, 2010 9:48 p.m.

I misinterpreted the article about Doom not stealing from other games. That being the case, what about deathmatch? No multiplayer FPS dared to steal that.
  • TURbo - May 5, 2010 9:43 p.m.

@Jim Sterling The only thing I can nitpick is the Archvile wasn't introduced until Doom 2, then it was in Ultimate Doom's 4th episode. Same this with the Revenant.
  • TURbo - May 5, 2010 9:25 p.m.

The answer is no
  • TURbo - May 5, 2010 9:24 p.m.

@Vitoruss1 One question. Were those games made before 1993?
  • Conman93 - May 5, 2010 8:09 p.m.

@Vitoruss Those irregular breathing enemies in resi 4 are called regnerators, and they are the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life :0
  • TheJackOfHearts - May 5, 2010 8:08 p.m.

I actually damn near crap my pants every time I see a Centaur in fallout 3.
  • Spybreak8 - May 5, 2010 7:52 p.m.

Oh god I love infighting. I would always get dudes to shoot Imps and then have the Imps fly fireballs half way across the map or threw a window and down the corridor haha. I agree with the music, atmospheric drivel is not the future of game music. Oh it's interactive and dynamic, no it's forgettable and yes it may help immerse me but chances are it will get old fast.
  • Vitoruss1 - May 5, 2010 7:36 p.m.

@CoD4Kamikazi That's what I said when I saw the video! Judas Priest is my favorite band and there definitely is a Painkiller vibe there.
  • 510BrotherPanda - May 5, 2010 7:36 p.m.

I've never been the target audience for FPSes, but good article James Delacroix Sterling.
  • Vitoruss1 - May 5, 2010 7:34 p.m.

Pretty good article, ALTHOUGH: Infighting: Halo Primarily between the sentinels and the flood, but there was also infighting between the Covenant and the flood as well. Truly Terrifying Enemies: Resident Evil 4 (&5) I can't quite remember the name, but the enemies in Resident Evil 4 who had an irregular breathing pattern and invisible parasite all over their bodies... they were absolute terror. As soon as you hear the breathing, you know you're in for a scare. Also, the berserkers with the blades attached to their hands were scary as can be. The same can be considered for Dr. Salvatore. Also, the tall tribal-mask wearing enemies in RE5 who were almost impossible to kill. Badass Music: Duke Nukem Forev-- Eh, nevermind. WAIT! Badass Music: Devil May Cry Series While the first game had the best music, I personally own all four games' soundtracks and they're the most badass soundtracks ever. Pure kick-ass neo-gothic techno metal. Hell yeah. Game Changing Exploits: GTA San Andreas You could make all the NPCs riot, carry weapons, fight you and fight FOR you. You could also make cars swim, fly, or just turn off gravity in general. And you could make your punches do mega-damage and knock people back very far. These were all cheats, but in a technical sense, these are game-changing exploits. Chex-Themed Modifications: Dream Girl No, not a game, you're right. But even still... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffXlo8VveJc&feature=related
  • CoD4Kamikazi - May 5, 2010 7:09 p.m.

Is it just me, or does the E1M1 music sound almost exactly like the guitar from Judas Priest's Painkiller? I'm surprised that no one has pointed this out yet.
  • thesuperspacejew - May 5, 2010 7:07 p.m.

If this counts, then the Cirith Ungol level in Return of the King was pretty much all the Orcs/Uruks fighting each other.
  • JimSterling - May 5, 2010 7:01 p.m.

If you can be literal and nitpick, you can argue most of these. It's meant to be more general than a few of you are making out.
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - May 5, 2010 6:35 p.m.

A bunch of games have these. In Bioshock you can even control the Big Daddies to do all the fighting for you. Nearly every Final Fantasy has game changing exploits and don't forgot FFX's bitchin apocalypse. Many games have terrifying enemies, remember Alma. As for Chex-themed modifications could someone please make a counter strike mod based on this to fully prove Jim wrong. Oh and I remember Beyond Good And Evil was given away with some cereal.
  • ranivus - May 5, 2010 6:22 p.m.

telefrag wasnt a glitch... it was part of the game. It was great for multiplayer. Getting into a fire fight with your buddy then he realizes he's not going to win so he turns around and runs and you just stalk him like deer and as soon as he jumps into the teleporter. You follow suit and implode him from the inside. That sir is not a glitch. Thats why the graphic after you teleport inside the person shows a puddled mess with his ribs exposed, b/c you were inside him.