• spekko - May 6, 2010 8:29 p.m.

for terrifying enemies, what about the librarians in Metro 2033? It scared the crap out of me when SPOILER the one in the bathroom grabbed you by the neck through the wall END OF SPOILER
  • taylornolfi - May 6, 2010 6:49 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was all infighting The PMCs and rebels were always going at it youcould just sit by and watch them kill eachother
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - May 6, 2010 6:06 p.m.

Another great artlicle, damn I love GR. (and jim :) )
  • jasonbanks - May 6, 2010 4:34 p.m.

i played that chex mod in a computer class in school.
  • JimSterling - May 6, 2010 3:58 p.m.

Yeah, this is supposed to be about FPS games, quite clearly. Silent Hill and Zelda's re-deads manage to scare, but they're not FPS-related. As far as infighting goes, while I know there have been scripted infighting stuff, I can't recall too many that had it programmed in as triggered behavior, outside of games directly based off id's software like Heretic and the like. I could be wrong, but of course, I'm not trying to be overly literal with this article, it's more a nice look at things that weren't stolen wholesale by the FPS genre.
  • ensabahnur - May 6, 2010 2:19 p.m.

Good point, nobody has put enemies fighting each other after one accidentally hits another.
  • IIIIIACEIIIII - May 6, 2010 12:48 p.m.

@most of you: Stop trying to argue against the points raised here using non-FPS games as examples.
  • AuthorityFigure - May 6, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Yep - DOOM definitely has more testosterone than the metro-sexual shooters of today.
  • philipshaw - May 6, 2010 12:25 p.m.

Have to agree with the music,I would rather have a soundtrack you remember instead of atmospheric and ambient music
  • Imgema - May 6, 2010 6:51 a.m.

Resident Evil? Silent Hill? GOW? Isn't this article about FPS games? Anyway, i agree about everything except music. FPS games had great music for several years after Doom. Duke Nukem 3D, Turok 1+2, Quake, Goldeneye, Quake 2, Perfect Dark and even multiplayer only games like Quake 3, Unreal Tournament etc. The last generation though, most FPS games are muted, its one of the many things i hate about this generation of "realism".
  • Gobblemeister - May 6, 2010 5:24 a.m.

Terrifying enemies? Apparently somebody forgot the Satyrs in GOW The bane of any Titan Playthrough
  • FearlessRaven - May 6, 2010 3:07 a.m.

Good Article. Although i think the point about infighting can be argued with as I recall Halo pulling that out in 1 and possibly 2. I do think Doom did have something that many modern day horrors lack
  • Limbo - May 6, 2010 3:06 a.m.

The redeads in Zelda games used to make me piss myself. Also, witches in Left For Dead are pretty scary too. Especially in the one campaign in L4D2 with witches absolutely everywhere while its pouring rain.
  • TheWebSwinger - May 6, 2010 2:55 a.m.

I swear, the most random of the GR articles get the Digg attention...but hey this is another great (as always) GR-ticle, way to go Jim. P.s. in Chex Quest, why would it take more than one shot to transport an alien...o_oa
  • GG Gabby - May 6, 2010 2:09 a.m.

@Vitross1 and Conman93. Sh*t those things almost made me piss in my pants. Every time I'd hear a regenerator I immediately go to a corner and arm my striker lol XD
  • Wizrai - May 6, 2010 1:03 a.m.

Well, the Chainsaw zombies in RE5 become common as you progress, and they still make me panic. :<
  • EnragedTortoise1 - May 6, 2010 12:06 a.m.

ReDeads from Wind Waker made me shit my 9-year-old's pants.
  • RanGo - May 5, 2010 11:43 p.m.

L4D(2) has infighting, but you cannot cause it to happen.
  • CountFenring - May 5, 2010 11:37 p.m.

Man Chex Quest was my first game ever. What an awesome game. And I'd say no reloading.
  • pingyoo - May 5, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Dude no way man that is just too cool! Lou www.being-anonymous.at.tc