A major Torchwood series four exclusive heads up an impressive list of features in the latest SFX , on sale today
It may be the issue before the biggie, but we’re not saving up all the great articles for that milestone. Issue 199 is packed with so much sci-fi goodness it’s virtually exploding from the newsstands. On sale now!
EXCLUSIVE Russell T Davies Talks Torchwood Series Four
“It’s a proper, big, global ten-hour thriller,” the very tall Mr Davies tells us of the next series of Torchwood , the one that’s going to be turbo-boosted by US investment. Learn more of what’s going to happen when Captain Jack meets Uncle Sam.
Scott Pilgrim Versus SFX
“The core of the story is essentially a romantic comedy, but it plays out like an action musical,” says director (and Simon Pegg’s buddy) Edgar Wright when SFX talks to him about the seriously hip Scott Pilgrim Versus The World , which would be this year‘s Kick -Ass if Kick-Ass hadn’t been this year too.
Writer/producer Branon Braga had a rough ride from fans when he was one of the movers and shakers begin the Trek franchise in the ’90s and early 2000s, so much so he rarely talks about the experience now. But SFX tempts him to spill the beans…
The Other Avatar
M Night Shyamalan reveals why, for the first time, he’s directing a film that he didn’t originate – an adaptation of US animated TV series Avatar: The Last Airbender (which dropped the “Avatar” after James Cameron got their first).
When Animals Attack
Monster worms! Giant insects! Killer bunnies! A history of nature-run-amok B-movie monster flicks.
From the initial flirtation, through the infatuation stage, to the break-ups, arguments and divorce – why Lost was such a hard programme to love.
Mark Hamill reveals his Heroes & Inspirations
And in the Retro Corner this month:
- Batman The Animated Series – the Dark Knight broods on kids’ TV
- Rosemary’s Baby – Roman Polanski’s masterpiece of paranoia
- Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons – Gerry Anderson’s most violent puppet series
- The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
The Profile spotlight turns on:
- Warehouse 13 actress Joanne Kelly
- Canadian fantasy author Kelley Armstrong
While the news in Red Alert gives you extra in-depth coverage on:
- Primeval series four
- Fringe season three
- Hellboy artist Mike Mignola on his latest project – The Plague Ships
- Screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci on Cowboys And Aliens
- The Big Bang Theory (because the SFX forum demanded it)
- Wishlist: X-Men First Class – you tell us would you’d like to see (and not see) in the next X movie
- Spoiler Zone: A mammoth Chuck round-up, the Doctor Who finale, True Blood season three kicks off, Riverworld – the mini series
- Freeze Frame: So, does the trailer for Jack Black’s Gulliver’s Travels make us want to see the movie?
Reviewed And Rated:
Inception , Toy Story 3 , Predators , The Last Airbender , Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths , Goemon , Mega Piranha , Ian McDonald’s The Dervish House , Jerff Vandermeer’s Finch and loads, loads more
NEXT ISSUE: SFX #200 is on sale Wednesday 25 August