The list of best-selling games in the US this September was released by the NPD group today, and there were a few surprising entries, though it was mostly filled with the usual suspects. The top-selling game of September was technically Madden, but since that factors in sales across five different platforms, we're going to say the 360-exclusive Gears of War 3 is the real sales winner. Third place was taken by Dead Island, which is pretty impressive for a new franchise. Meanwhile, PS3-exclusive Resistance 3 had a good showing in the seventh spot; not bad for our game of the month for September. Here's the top 10 with no actual sales numbers as the NPD unhelpfully withholds those.
1. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
2. Gears of War 3 (360)
3. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC)
4. FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, 3DS)
5. NHL 12 (360, PS3)
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)
7. Resistance 3 (PS3)
8. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
10. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC)
On the console side of things the 360 was on top again (at least partially thanks to Gears 3's popularity), selling 438,000 units. Nintendo also had a good month selling 360,000 3DS handhelds after late August's price cut, along with 240,000 Wiis and 145,000 DS systems. Sony wasn’t as giving with the numbers, though our pals at Gamasutra estimate it sold over 360,000 PS3s.
Oct 14, 2011