Dwayne Johnson will be a happy man this morning – he’s just scored the biggest hit of his starring career to date with Race To Witch Mountain taking $25 million across the pond.
The new, family-friendly arrival meant that Watchmen, which had been expected to take a hit its second weekend, slipped to second place and was down 67%. It’s made $86 million in its first 10 days, but is still lagging behind 300’s epic take.
Third place was new arrival The Last House On The Left, which saw the horror nab $14.7 million, just ahead of box office sensation Taken, which, despite sitting in the charts for seven – count ‘em – weeks, has only dropped to fourth and now has more than $126 million in the coffers.
Finally, at fifth, we find Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail, which is still proving a money-spinner for the directing/producing/starring powerhouse.
Your top 10 in list-fashion…
- Race To Witch Mountain ($25 million)
- Watchmen ($18 million)
- The Last House On The Left ($14.7 million)
- Taken ($6.6 million)
- Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes To Jail ($5.1 million)
- Slumdog Millionaire ($5 million)
- Paul Blart: Mall Cop ($3.1 million)
- He’s Just Not That Into You ($2.9 million)
- Coraline ($2.6 million)
- Miss March ($2.3 million)
[Data source: Box Office Mojo ]