• BladedFalcon - May 13, 2014 12:24 p.m.

This was the only move to make, really. Henry makes it sound like it's a shame and as if the Kinect 2.0 had ANY kind of potential... When it really didn't. From day one even those seriously looking forward to the Kinect 2.0 expressed disappointment over it, and also how it didn't really work nearly as well as promised. A huge deal was made about it's other functions such as sensing biometric readings and shit... Six months have passed since the release of the console, show me even ONE game that makes proper use of the Kinect 2.0 supposed "new" and "improved" functions. At least the first Kinect had dance central to show for it... this time Kinect 2.0 didn't have even that. Honestly, this is good news, but it came 6 months late. The kinect is garbage, always has been, along with all the gimmicky motion controls that have come out so far. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. New hardware and motion controls will be worth ONLY after a good amount of developers know of new ideas to work for the technology... and only if this technology actually works as promised. Neither of this things have happened so far... So why cry over the death of a peripheral that from the get go demonstrated wasn't worth it?
  • Vonter - May 13, 2014 1:21 p.m.

I suppose but I think the timing is right. Now both we'll have to really brag about the games they'll be showing for E3 to convince the consumer. But still knowing 3rd party games run at a lesser performance on the Xbone makes a bit of noise. Isn't this solvable with an update or something?
  • BladedFalcon - May 13, 2014 4:57 p.m.

I have no idea, but if it could be fixed with a patch, you'd think they would have done it by now... Anyway, people might make noise about that shit, but I really couldn't care less if a game runs in 1080 or 720. It does speak less about MS's console, but not by much. Kinda like often Multiplat games ran and looked slightly worse on the PS3 than in the 360, it was lame, but not a deal breaker. Anyhow, as I don't yet own any next gen console yet, (And seeing the backlog I have, I don't plan to get one in at least 1 or 2 years more..) this pretty much puts Microsoft and Sony on a level playing field for me. And you're right, this E3 will be defined by who shows the better games. Despite my previous attacks and big distaste for Microsoft's tactics with the Xbone, if they put on a better show this time they might finally make me start paying attention to their console more.
  • Vonter - May 13, 2014 6:11 p.m.

Also Lionsgate (Saw, Twilight, Divergent, Hunger Games) is gonna make a Power Rangers movie. Yeah it doesn't have to do with this, but you need to know.
  • BladedFalcon - May 13, 2014 10:23 p.m.

Eh, I stopped caring about the power rangers since I was 9. Sure, I loved them for a while when I was a kid, but that is one of those franchise that I have no nostalgia for looking back. I know a lot of adults still love it for it's camp value, but I have no taste for that, I prefer to save my nostalgia for shows that had actual quality, like the TMNT and DuckTales or the Batman: TaS series :P
  • Vonter - May 14, 2014 9:53 a.m.

Disney also greenlighted a Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers movie: http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-getting-live-action-cg-hybrid-adaptation/
  • BladedFalcon - May 14, 2014 10:22 a.m.

That's a bit more akin to my interests... But we'll see I guess.
  • Sjoeki - May 13, 2014 12:17 p.m.

It's nice that they are giving options, kinda painfull that it still isn't in the shops here in the netherlands though... September, we have to wait till then till it officially comes out here.
  • wittynickname - May 13, 2014 12:14 p.m.

Henry, I get the want to play devil's advocate on a big breaking story like this, but this stance really makes us all seem unpleasable by proxy. For the last year we've been whining en masse about how Kinect is vestigial, how no one wants to pay extra for it, and how no one wants to (or knows how to?) develop meaningful content for it. And the moment it's cut, we're rushing to eulogize it as the one great thing that made it stand out from the pack?
  • james-carder - May 13, 2014 12:10 p.m.

most xbox fans ive talked to have already left ship and gone with playstation. so it might already be too late for xbox to recover in my opinion.
  • SpadesSlick - May 13, 2014 1:02 p.m.

Same thing a lot of Playstation fans were saying after 599 us dollars and giant enemy crabs. Things turned out alright for them. I have no idea why the internet decides to crucify a company for listening to it's consumers while many of those people simultaneously make excuses for the Wii U failing to do the same. I'd argue that a lot of people would be perfectly fine cutting the tablet out, letting it be an option like the kinect now is.
  • Divine Paladin - May 13, 2014 1:15 p.m.

I'm sure many would agree, but when you drop the Gamepad who is really gonna dive in? Yes, the price drops another hundred bucks and change, but many of those that whine about it wouldn't get a U regardless. Same for this Kinect issue; most that bitched honestly (probably) never planned on a One. Or rather, at least not for a while anyway on either.
  • Doctalen - May 13, 2014 1:23 p.m.

^what you've said describes me perfectly :p
  • SpadesSlick - May 13, 2014 1:31 p.m.

I would. I'm waiting for a 100 dollar price drop before I get a Wii U. I kind of don't want to sacrifice the pad but I could always pick it up later because they would probably start selling them like Microsoft is doing.
  • Divine Paladin - May 13, 2014 1:54 p.m.

I waited for it to hit $200, too but I got it with the Gamepad lol (GameStop is great if you can milk the deals - 25% off coupon took me to $218 with tax on a used 32GB). But yeah, there are some people that will cave on $200. I just think that the amount that would is overexaggerated. Bundles are IMO more effective for Nintendo in particular; $300 with Gamepad and a game like Mario Kart or Smash Bros. will sell a lot more SKUs than just dropping the price and removing the console's only real distinguishing feature.
  • Sinosaur - May 13, 2014 1:31 p.m.

I was definitely a Playstation fan until the PS3 messed everything up, now if I'm going to get one of the new consoles I'll be getting a PS4 (if I don't just stick to PC).
  • MidianGTX - May 13, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Things turned out alright for them because Sony wasn't grabbing at their cash in quite the same way MS have been the past five years or so.