• MikeJazzfaceTheDancingSquirrel - May 14, 2014 3:33 a.m.

price drop? they are still like £500 at least with a controller and game. sorry, cant justify buying one yet
  • cbrinkmann1981 - May 14, 2014 1:35 a.m.

Saying the Kinect is the main reason to buy an Xbox One over the PS4 is like suggesting a restaurant because the food poisoning is so much better than its competitor.
  • TurkeyOnRye - May 13, 2014 7:09 p.m.

The price or the Kinect were never a deterrent for me. I still haven't decided which console to get because there isn't enough games out to justify either. For right now, I'm perfectly content to work on my 360 backlog until a true decision maker is released. And this is totally not directed at Henry but more at the infinite nameless commenters on the internet: it's really sad to see all of the Kinect nay-sayers, now that they have given them EXACTLY what they wanted, jump on the "the only reason to buy the X-Box One" bandwagon. If you think that the console is inferior without the Kinect, then buy the one with the damned Kinect. Don't complain about the Kinect and then flip-flop when they release one without it and say it's the only reason to buy one thus making the PS4 superior anyway. Just buy what you want or wait like I am. Quit yer bitchin'. Sheesh.
  • hector-salas - May 13, 2014 11:11 p.m.

Well, to be fair, my issue is that the Kinect provided features I would not use, and raised the price. However, without the Kinect it costs the same as a PS4. And since the PS4 is better at what it does at the base, I'm buying it instead. Not really bitching, just voicing dissatisfaction. How could a company progress without feedback from consumers?
  • Shigeruken - May 13, 2014 6:46 p.m.

Microsoft still hasn't bothered to release voice commands for NZ and other small countries (even though US and AU region voice commands work 100% fine with a kiwi accent) so I'm not surprised that it hasn't sold consoles. If it's still missing basic advertised functionality in the smaller markets, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft never intended to seriously support kinect. Thank God for Phil, hopefully I'll regret my purchase less in a few months.
  • Waldo - May 13, 2014 6:38 p.m.

Is this it then. "Lumps of plastic" with slightly better graphics every 5 to 10 years? Y button or a Triangle with some rumble and a cheap price. Are we so well trained that we ask for fewer extras, fewer risks and fewer innovations? Do we not want more at some point? Lets have more motion control, better quality 3D and faster and more accurate cameras. Lets see games become more like an immersive simulation. But hey, if the games aren't there for us to play, then we aren't solely to blame. We get what they give us and there isn't anything wrong with enjoying a new COD every year or testing your button combo skills with a fighter. It's when we dismiss new ideas before giving them a chance that we fail. We get small improvements but no leaps forward. And where would we be if nobody ever took a leap. Anyway, there's good news and disappointing news here. It's just hard to tell which is which sometimes.
  • Eightboll812 - May 17, 2014 9:53 p.m.

"Do we not want more at some point? Lets have more motion control, better quality 3D and faster and more accurate cameras. Lets see games become more like an immersive simulation." The market spoke. It's not that we don't want innovation. It's that we didn't want THAT innovation. I'm saying let's have less motion control--been there, done that. I know there's people who love it and want more. But you have to accept that you just might be in the minority. MS bet the farm on you being in the majority, and now they are accepting that they made a mistake. That's the thing about technological innovation. You are going to fail probably 4 times for every 1 time you succeed. The scrap heap of technology is pretty impressive. It's not that people don't give it a chance, it's either a good idea with no market, bad timing, botched implementation, or whatever. To say the gaming industry hasn't given motion controls a fair shake is to ignore the last several years. Everybody jumped on the Nintendo band wagon. And we got oversaturated in shovel ware. MS mistook the fact that grandparents were caught up in the novelty of playing bowling with grandparents actually doing it consistently week after week. That's the thing about novelty...it wears thin soon. We see this happen over and over. The whole social media gaming thing went through a similar boom/bust cycle. At one point "the future of gaming" was Facebook/Zynga and the myriad clones of Mafia Wars. And after the novelty wore off for most people with those games, people moved on to other things in life and there was an implosion of those type of games, leaving only those who really love that kind of misery and call it "fun".
  • shawksta - May 13, 2014 6:32 p.m.

Rare still thinks it has potential, but all they did was Kinect Sports, which isnt even one of the good Kinect Games.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - May 14, 2014 1:33 p.m.

Rare is dead, the fact that Microsoft had to hire Double Helix for KI instead of Rare kind of shows that.
  • Brett35 - May 13, 2014 6:04 p.m.

This is painful, I loved my 360 I love my xbox one (so far) I really enjoy titanfall, I just don't want Microsoft to get blown away so much that they drop out of the console and video game business. Competition is needed. As sad as it is I kinda wish people would buy the xbone just to make the sales numbers closer. :P
  • jake-miller - May 14, 2014 12:54 a.m.

I whole heartedly agree. I'm mostly siding with Sony and I had an X1 but sold it due to it not really giving me a reason to keep it. I hope that down the line I can get another one when better exclusives drop for it. I also pray that both consoles do well. I'd hate to be pressured to buy a 800 dollar xbox or playstation 5.
  • Naugi - May 13, 2014 5:40 p.m.

It's funny, originally I thought all I wanted was for the One to get cheaper and then I could buy it, not caring that the Kinect came with it, because I would feel like I hadn't paid for a cheap gimmick I didn't want. Now this option ... it should have been what I wanted, cheap One with no Kinect, but then I suddenly realised, if all I'm getting is a lump of plastic with a controller that plays games, then yes indeed, the main reason to buy it is gone, because I can get a better lump of plastic with a controller attached in the form of the PS4. This move by MS is probably intended to grab the people who didn't want a Kinect. Not sure it's going to work out like that. Really just does make the One with its inferior power and graphics the worst option on the block now.
  • theguyinthecloset - May 13, 2014 5:19 p.m.

To be faire they are saying in interviews that the kinect-less version is the shit you're-too-poor version.
  • Zillathefuzzball - May 14, 2014 2:11 a.m.

If buying the Kinect-less version is the 'shit-your-too-poor' option then people who are supposedly poor are more intelligent than some people give them credit for! I won't be wasting £100 of my hard earned cash on a camera when I could go down to my local PC shop and buy a much better one and go on my PC to use Skype or whatever the hell I'd use a webcam for. Kinect was and still is the biggest waste of money I've seen released with a games console.
  • theguyinthecloset - May 14, 2014 2:13 p.m.

I'm just saying ther are sticking to the "Xbox One is Kinect" statement. Even saying you should buy the console and then wait to get the Kinect so you don't have to pay all of it at the same time. I'm not saying I agree.
  • winner2 - May 13, 2014 5:06 p.m.

This launch has been such a fucking catastrophe, this is so much backpedaling. I hope they've at least learned from this and don't make the same mistakes in the future. I've accepted that we're just not ready to like 99% of motion stuff right now, and unfortunately kinect did not justify it's existence or cost. The console was too pricey for what you were getting. It's not as powerful as the ps4. It doesn't have something on the same level as ps plus in terms of bang for your buck. It was supposed to be always online and they didn't handle the idea well enough to get it through smoothly. I hope next gen they have a better showing, because they've basically relaunched the one at this point.
  • jonathan-nielsen - May 13, 2014 5 p.m.

My god, all i see is a good portion of how the PS4 can play graphics in 1080p, you know, why the hell should it matter? because you can see pixels in it? oh big woop, go back to the N64, PS1, and original Xbox, those have pixels. just be glad that Bungie is trying their best. yes the PS4 plays games in "true" 1080p and i'm going to buy one but i'm also gonna get an Xbox One. don't let the fucking graphics of a gamed deter you, i mean, suck it up. a game doesn't need amazing fucking graphics to be good, look at Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, one of the more populer Halo games and Halo 2, theyr graphics weren't the best yet they where pretty damn popular, then look at FF7, graphics aren't that good but it's still really popular. don't let the graphics or the amount of pixels a console can display deter you from buying a console, and don't be part of the band wagon, enjoy both consoles for what they have to offer instead of using the "Xbox One doesn't have true 1080p!" bullshit, yeah, not the best console, but i still say these two consoles beat the Wii U any day and i plan on buying both of them. PS4 for Killzone and Infamous and Xbox One for the new Halo and Destiny (yes, i know it's coming out for PS4, but i'm still getting it for Xbox One only.) and we'll see what they bring out for E3, bungie might actually have alot of good games coming out and yet whats the only reason why PS4 will win E3? because they're games offer 1080p while the xbox doesn't....rants over, time to go buy both consoles (in due time).
  • Shayz - May 13, 2014 4:35 p.m.

I liked the Xbox back when I could buy a used system for $100 (because of the huge influx of pawned systems), and use it to play games like Cell Damage, Halo 1/2, Clone Wars, JSRF, Burnout Revenge, Battlefront 1/2... These kind of party split screen 4 player games were what I wanted from my xbox that the PS2 couldn't offer in terms of players, and the gamecube couldn't offer in terms of games (There were a lot of great nintendo games, but not like the ones listed above. I never owned a 360 and I will never buy a Xbone. The whole reason I liked the Xbox was the great multiplayer games, but I can't even do that on a 360 without paying a membership. At least playstation plus was the best thing sony could have done in terms of restricting multiplayer...and until I make the jump to the PS4 for Desiny/FF15/Battlefront 3, I will continues to stick with my PS3 and Wii (eventually Wii U when MK8 comes out)
  • g1rldraco7 - May 13, 2014 4:28 p.m.

Finally I can afford to get one, about time.
  • LordZarlon - May 13, 2014 4:06 p.m.

I'm proud of this decision. The consumer's voice is winning out. We didn't want always on DRM. We didn't want used games eliminated from the market. We didn't want the Kinect. How is this a bad thing? Maybe now the gaming press and, in particular, self-righteous gaming editors will realize that those of us who spoke out against these unwanted business practices were right to begin with. The entire market has spoken and "We, the People" have decided that we don't want to be told when and how we'll be allowed to play games!