Topics

Top 7

• The_Tingler - November 11, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Easily Sackboy. My girlfriend has a stuffed Sackboy next to our bed and she had no idea that he was from a videogame. THAT'S a mascot - someone so recognisable you see them anywhere, and when you finally spot their original incarnation you instantly feel at home. Kudos to Sackboy - your games may be just idiot-proof modding tools but you're the face of a Sony ace.
  • Manguy17 - November 11, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Not a fan of sack..things. I think it's due to my first experience of the series being awful (playing co-op someone who seemed to have a habit of sucking the fun out of playing games and watching film). Since then I just cant find any fun in the series despite the core idea being something that really appeals to me. A ps4 Ratchet and Clank on the other hand, that would be great. A return of Jak and Daxter would also be welcome.
  • jedisamurai - November 11, 2013 1:31 p.m.

I for one am very much interested in a new Ratchet and Clank game. The only SONY release I'm more interested in is Gran Turismo 6. But if you asked me who should be SONY's Mascot? Probably either crash or Spyro. It's just shame that instead of concentrating of make a few games that were outstanding, they instead flooded the market with so many sequels it's hard to know which ones are worth playing a which are a waste of time and money.
  • AKALMoumen - November 11, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Sony doesn't own either Crash or Spyro... Crash might be brought back coz he's been thrown from company to company like a hot potatoes but I think that mutant game doomed the series... Spyro is the face of the Skylanders franchise or used to be (he's still part of it thou) which is owned by our good friends at Activision... he's never coming back... Those games bring in Mario money if you add the toys which you need to play them...
  • Cyberninja - November 11, 2013 1:27 p.m.

But what about the Ape Escape apes, come on they are the reason why dual analog sticks became important
  • JMarsella09 - November 11, 2013 1:17 p.m.

I still think Jak 2 is the best. I replayed them all about a year ago and they all hold up pretty well, but Jak 2 is my favorite.
  • KnightDehumidifier - November 11, 2013 12:57 p.m.

What I find most amusing is the most renowned Playstation mascots, are just human(like) murderous dicks. Think about it, Kratos, Nathan Drake, that Helghast guy, Sweet Tooth to a less popular extent. All are humans(at least), all are murderous, all are dicks.
  • shawksta - November 11, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Sony in general is always about stepping forward and having variety that the brand itself is more or less the mascot, not needing to have anything specific with the variety they already have. Otherwise this list nails it and Sack Boy seems most likely. I have hope for Knack but sometimes it just seems like a beat em up most of the time with a neat concept and that's it, hopefully I'm wrong. Ah Jak, the second game was a departure but it had it's ups but you guys made the point of the issue. That plot twist in Jak 3 was messed up and that plot twist near the end of the game just made you think about Life at how much Wut it produced. Sly's still got it, I adored thieves in time, though personally my favorite was the third game.
  • jason-lacour - November 11, 2013 2:07 p.m.

Only issue with Sony and their variety of IPs is their lack of foresight in not keeping them. Many are just dead and/or sold off to other companies. It makes games like Playstation Allstars nowhere near viable as a real thing like they had even hoped for. Sometimes it's okay to keep hold of these IPs, sometimes there's still more that can be done with them beyond just 3 games, like Ratchet & Clank. And it sucks that people aren't talking about R&C, it's my favorite series Sony has =/.
  • JarkayColt - November 11, 2013 12:23 p.m.

The transition between Jak & Daxter and Jak II is still really jarring. As far as sequels go it's definitely one of the biggest gambles I can think of, and whether or not it worked is just down to preference. But personally I still prefer the first game, because I was a huge Crash fan and the game was essentially a spiritual successor, whereas on the other hand, Jak II and 3 bear no real similarity to Crash at all. Changing his personality really did kill Jak's chance at being a mascot even if the games were still good (albeit different.) Personally, I actually quite like the idea of a Vibri revival, but Sackboy is definitely Sony's most mascot-like character. Weird how they've never really had one "official" mascot, but I guess it's also a good thing that the face of the brand is always changing.
  • Helios - November 11, 2013 12:08 p.m.

I would say your one and two picks are the best, because I don't own a Playstation console and those are the most recognizable to me as being Playstation games.
  • winner2 - November 11, 2013 12:03 p.m.

Where in the fuck is Spyro god damnit
  • Frieza - November 11, 2013 1:15 p.m.

He didn't make the list. Why? Because characters like Vibri are obviously more well known and important to Playstation's history than Spyro.[/sarcasm]
  • ObliqueZombie - November 11, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Yeah, but he had like one good game.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - November 11, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Thing is, I think Spyro HAS made it. With Skylanders, he's bigger than he ever was in his PS1 days, and it seems like that series will last quite some time without Sony backing it
  • winner2 - November 11, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Alright, I can accept this. I'm just sad about that is all, I apologize.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - November 11, 2013 6:39 p.m.

No worries! On a related note, I still intend to go back and beat Spyro: Year of the Dragon before I die
  • winner2 - November 11, 2013 8:39 p.m.

You are in for a treat, although granted it was way more fun as a kid who's brain was still developing and discovering what then felt like a big world. The firework factory is the best
  • Marcunio88 - November 11, 2013 11:57 a.m.

What about Sir Daniel Fortesque? No, just me then.
  • Shnubby - November 11, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Medievil is kick-ass!