Topics

Best of GR

• J-Fid - October 19, 2012 9:43 p.m.

Ok, another top 100 list (well 90). I was going to be upset if Mario was not #1, since I would believe most people think of him when someone says video game hero. However, I certainly cannot argue against the three guys ahead of him. I actually forgot about Link (shame on me) until I saw him, and immediately I thought to myself, "Yep, that's a good #1." If I do have a voice, I have a couple of ideas. Pokemon Trainer Red: He is the only Pokemon protagonist to SINGLE HANDEDLY take down an ENTIRE evil organization. Every other one had some kind of assistance. Guile: The true family man, and the ultimate American. I'll add more if I can think of more.
  • Cyberninja - October 19, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Wait what not that I disagree with Nathan Drake being on the list but to have him as Number 3 with the justification of him making killing people ok doesn't make him a hero but a mass murder, instead you should let a real hero take number 3 which is The main character from persona 3 he sacrifices his life to become the seal to prevent the end of humanity, if that's not heroic nothing is.
  • aberkromby - October 19, 2012 8:43 p.m.

How 'bout B.J. Blazkowicz from the Wolfenstein series. Singlehandedly defeating a mech-suited Hitler after slaughtering half the Wermacht by himself, doesn't that deserve a mention?
  • DEDBURDYgames - October 19, 2012 8:35 p.m.

I think Domonic Santiago (Gears of War) deserves a spot on this list. Even if its on the bottom. (SPOILER ALERT) He fights his way through countless monsters to find his wife only to find out he has to put her out of her misery, he continues fighting even with the pain of losing his wife (and kids on E-day) and ultamitly sacrafices himself for his friends and for the good of the planet of Sera. If it wasnt for him, the war with the locast and lambent would have never stopped. The lambent would have continued mutating and eventualy destroy all human life on Sera. He is definately one of my gamming heros.- J.T. Utter, Leader of DEDBURDY games.
  • Brutalicus - October 19, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Trahearne, Guild Wars 2. (trollface)
  • DyranLK - October 19, 2012 7:28 p.m.

Okay, okay, so the whole Drake-being-a-mass-killing-murderer idea has had its fair share of laughs at this point, but really, lol -- he's incredibly more well-written and in-depth than he takes credit for, unfortunately. :-P Maybe, just maybe, in the future, after there's some more breathing room and somehow enough spare time to think back on the Uncharted series, people will be able to see Drake for the character that he really is, which is a man who abandoned his own identity for a life that he hoped would lead to 'greatness' while it was really only leading to a bigger, emptier hole in his heart -- and also eventually caught up to him when he was forced to place the two conflicting ideals that drove him (which was represented as Sir Francis Drake's ring and his lost wedding band in UC3) against each other after a close friend of his was endangered because of his own unrestrained, 'murderous' recklessness; something of which he's been noted for numerous times throughout the series (e.g. "You're no different from me, DRAKE..", "What are you trying to prove?", etc.). But hey, what the hell, then again, I'm tired as shit and probably just need my daily dose of orange juice, 'cause who knows if I even know what I'm talking about until then, 'ey? :-P
  • kachigop - October 19, 2012 6:48 p.m.

The juxtaposition of Lucas at 19 and Kratos at 18 made me laugh.
  • bang1221 - October 19, 2012 6:41 p.m.

Cecil from Final Fantasy 4 Spyro the Dragon Sir Daniel Fortesque from Medievil Nameless Marine from Doom The Heroes from Diablo I'm sure there's more that i could add but i'm forgetting some. good list but i'm still confused how crash bandicoot, banjo kazooie and other platform heroes have made the list but not spyro. i would also consider Zidane from final fantasy 9 over Cecil.
  • codystovall - October 19, 2012 6:32 p.m.

Batman-hes batman. Pokemon Trainer Red-saved the pokemon world, before it was cool. White Galaga ship-you had pacman so why not?
  • spacemanX03 - October 19, 2012 6:12 p.m.

Marco- Metal Slug
  • gtaivac_ - October 19, 2012 6:02 p.m.

GLaDOS should be in the top 10
  • codystovall - October 19, 2012 6:26 p.m.

"heroes"
  • ThatGamerDude - October 19, 2012 5:53 p.m.

I would put in Rico Rodriguez from Just Cause 2 just for obvious reasons.
  • johnny-kratos-davidson - October 19, 2012 5:52 p.m.

Also I vote for: Adam Jensen - Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Commander John Shepard - Mass Effect. Nariko - Heavenly Sword. Gabriel Belmont - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Marcus Fenix - Gears of War. Joseph Capelli - Resistance 3.
  • johnny-kratos-davidson - October 19, 2012 5:55 p.m.

Damn it I almost forgot the fantastic character Alan Wake... from the game Alan Wake.
  • onetimebuster - October 19, 2012 5:45 p.m.

This list needs more claptrap and how dare you stick snake in this he said hes no hero never was just a old killer hired to do some wetwork.
  • BladedFalcon - October 19, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Just because he claimed he was no hero doesn't mean he isn't actually one. If anything, it's often the people who don't consider themselves heroes who achieve the toughest, taxing, and most heroic things.
  • onetimebuster - October 19, 2012 6:42 p.m.

I was just kidding.
  • BladedFalcon - October 19, 2012 7:05 p.m.

D'oh! My apologies for failing to read the joke ^^;