Topics

Best of GR

We Recommend

• Rub3z - October 19, 2012 5:37 p.m.

Viewtiful Joe. Sam Gideon (Vanquish). Garcia FUCKING Hotspur. The Chosen Hero in Dark Souls. Subject Delta from Bioshock 2. Joe Cappelli from Resistance 3. Serious Sam. That's a surprisingly short list of people I think could've gone up. Oh, John Tanner from Driver San Francisco. And *maybe* Luis Lopez from GTA4 (Ballad of Gay Tony), if only because he turns out to be much more sensitive than the other two (in spite of still being a sociopath), and does lots of way better, cooler stuff. Luis is a badass. As for the list itself, I am substantially pleased to see the inclusion of Meat Boy, Eddie Riggs, Francis (my favorite), Rayman, Travis Touchdown, Little Mac, Corvo Attano, Bomberman, the a-bit-less-than-obligatory-Okami-inclusion-because-Gamesradar, Price, Fox, Jade, Max Payne, and Wander. There was only a select few from games i haven't played or recognize, and the whole rest of the list I could kinda tell were going to be included. Like Mario, for instance. It's impossible to leave that guy out. It's now that I just remembered that Captain Falcon could've been included. Are you going to try and argue with a FALCON PAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWNCH??
  • johnny-kratos-davidson - October 19, 2012 5:37 p.m.

Kratos is the best character ever but he is an anti-heroe, amazing how high a tormented pyschopath made it in a goody-two-shoes list of characters. And why do gaming sites always feel obligated to put Link/Zelda at the top of these lists? I mean for goodness sake Link has no character, nothing. And Drake at #3... Come on he is an awfully written generic twit of a character, no depth to him at all. Other than that it's a decent list, I would completely change the order and replace many of the characters though.
  • Nomado - October 19, 2012 6:49 p.m.

whether you argue link being top 1 and having no character etc. he will always be numero uno. You will understand once you play LoZ games. I agree with you at #3. He doesnt deserve number 3 slot IMO but could be somewhere in this list.
  • DyranLK - October 19, 2012 7:42 p.m.

Oh f*ck, you've got to be kidding. Well, it figures that right after I'd finish posting my half-rant about Drake's strengths as a character do I come across these posts criticizing the apparent 'lack of depth' in a character who can practically be described as the exact opposite for those who've actually dissected and absorbed the story (or at least, Uncharted 3's, anyway). Trust me, I've written almost entire mini-essays based on this just to give more recognition to the ingenious mind of Amy Hennig, who, if you may not recall, served as one of the writers for the sometimes outlandishly complex storyline of the Legacy of Kain series in the past as well. Although, I agree with his placing in the list, lol. The #3 spot is ridiculously high, and frankly, even if he was placed that high it's strange that it would be not for the actually deep aspects of his character (which...I'm genuinely serious about) but for the physical nonsense that permeates his outward actions, lmao (although that probably does help form a very memorable image of him, considering the sheer hilarity of seeing someone seemingly brush off his psychotic killing sprees with a one-liner or two, 'ey). But hey, "then again", what do I know.
  • BaraChat - October 19, 2012 5:34 p.m.

As long as you get number one right I have nothing to say. Oh you did! Good :)
  • taokaka - October 19, 2012 5:26 p.m.

How are some of these characters even heroes? But despite that I was pleasantly suprised to see klonoa on the list, it's nice to see his recent come back in popularity. Also no FF characters surprised me, plenty of the characters from the series easily achieve the status of hero while simultaneously being fantastic characters. But anyway my suggestions go to -The Elite Beat Agents for single handedly inspiring many people to succeed and even saving the planet from an alien invasion through music. -Kat from Gravity Rush because she saves the inhabitants of a city that hates her just because it's the right thing to do. -Taokaka from Blazblue because I'm a huge tao fan, even though Bang Shishigami easily deserves the title of greatest hero over taokaka.
  • taokaka - October 19, 2012 7:43 p.m.

Since writing this comment I just haven't been able to take my mind off of why Bang Shishigami, the proclaimed hero of love and justice should be number one on this list because he really does stand for what a hero is. "A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities." Is the definition of hero google gave me and Bang meets all the criteria; he's a person, he's a man, he's admired by the kaka clan for his courageous actions and his no-kill policy and compassion makes him quite noble. Bang was once a ninja of ikaruga until the NOL declared war on the city, at one point we see a flashback of this event and Bang instead of ordering his men to fight he orders them to run away with the civilians while he stays back by himself to fight and save his mentor, upon reaching his mentor he is frozen by Jin kisaragi, the leader of the invasion force and Jin kills the mentor. Fast forward to continuum shift, Jin is severely injured and is in ronin gai, a district of kagutsuchi composed of refugees from Ikaruga, including Bang Shishigami. So what does Bang do, he takes his revenge right? WRONG, instead he looks after his mortal enemy until he is better and tries to convince him to change his ways, would any other character on this list do that? On top of this he is always protecting those he cares for while on his journey to collect the bounty on Ragna's head to restore Ikaruga, he is always at hand to save Taokaka, Litchi, Carl etc from trouble. His one downside is he is too enthusiastic about being a hero that he manages to sometimes cause trouble. Finally, I'm just going to let this extract from Bang's page o urban dictionary do the talking for me on the issue of his manliness "The manliest man on the planet. Not a single being in the universe can defeat this man's strength and manliness. If one were to try, they would fail miserably. Bang Shishigami is so manly, he has not one theme song, but two"
  • Nomado - October 19, 2012 5:22 p.m.

This list needs Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3 instead of Raider IMO. Also should add Zack from FFX or Cloud Strife from FFVII. Shulk from Xenoblade would be nice addition. Seriously WHERE IS BIG BOSS!!!
  • Nomado - October 19, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Raiden*, Tidus* not Zack :3
  • b1on1cman - October 19, 2012 5:11 p.m.

Nameless space marine (Doom guy)
  • needles - October 19, 2012 4:43 p.m.

I thought Turians were a bird like race. Not insectoid. That Phelps guy from LA Noir was a pretty good character.
  • SDHoneymonster - October 19, 2012 4:40 p.m.

But, but, where's Bayonetta?! Any woman who dresses in her own hair and has guns strapped to her stilettos is a favourite of mine.
  • fattoler - October 19, 2012 4:39 p.m.

B.J. Blazkowicz, from Wolfenstein, he killed Mecha-Hitler, nuff said.
  • kyleander95 - October 19, 2012 4:36 p.m.

I agree with jc denton but I feel adam jenson is definitely worth a mention as well especially since he is given decisions that will shape the deus ex universe, Batman just because its batman, and almost definitely the lone wanderer from fallout 3 or the courier from fallout new vegas both have survived the wasteland both have had a massive effect on the wasteland whether it was giving clean water to the wastes or stopping caesars legion from crossing the dam (well that was my personal choice) but they are both very important characters that I think deserve a lot of recognition on this list
  • isaiahtheawesome - October 19, 2012 4:26 p.m.

you missed commander shepard
  • Odaus - October 19, 2012 4:31 p.m.

+1 this list needs Shepard
  • Magnus Artanis - October 19, 2012 4:06 p.m.

Amazing!!! But we still got to see if Big Boss' new adventure will prove us that the father was the true reason the children were made... Remember he was called "the greatest soldier of all time" for a reason...
  • sweetchiliheat - October 19, 2012 3:58 p.m.

- Definitely someone from Final Fantasy, however good luck having the fans calmly decide that one. Lightning is certaintly my taste, but Cloud might be a better pick - Bayonetta - Adam (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) Other than that, good list. I might have switched some characters around (Death for War, Gabriel for Simon) but those are for personal reasons...I'll just *pretend* they're there.
  • jackthemenace - October 19, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Glad to see Eddy Riggs and Death on the list, and Sly Cooper brought back a whole bunch of fond nostalgia. I feel like Agent 47 and Sora should both have been a whole lot higher up on the list, and it should've been Riku anyway, but I'm more surprised Amaterasu only just made the top 50. Leon and Garrus were good additions, and it was nice to see a few rating higher than Master Chief. Dante should have been at least top 15, and I was almost crying with joy when I saw how high Raiden was, only to be struck down again moments later. I guess he at least got a mention though, and Snake definitely deserves his sport there. But where on earth was Bayonetta? What about Damon Baird (Or at least marcus Fenix)? How about Neku Sakuraba? Although, I've got to say, Ratchet > Jak.
  • lmaocarrots - October 19, 2012 3:42 p.m.

No Niko Bellic? Seriously? He should be top 10.