Topics

Best of GR

• KA87 - October 20, 2012 6:27 a.m.

How about Lightning or the main character from the Pokemon games? At least pick someone from each series. How about these people too? Jaster Rogue (Rogue Galaxy) The main character from Dark Souls Batman (Arkam City) The cheerleader from Lolipop Chainsaw Zork The ball from Pong Handsome Jack, just kidding.
  • JarkayColt - October 20, 2012 6:15 a.m.

Nice list, and good idea leaving 10 spots open for complainers. I do have to say though, I think this sort of list would get less flak if it wasn't numbered (not that I had much issue with the numbering). But that's just me. Also which of you legends is responsible for putting Lucas on there? Was it Coop? Well whoever it was they just earned like a bajillion respecto-points from me. Also Link as #1, just, YES. Anyway, I would like to see Captain Olimar on this list. He's not really doing anything heroic himself (he's saving his own butt in the first game) but he's a hero to all the Pikmin. He's helping them to thrive in such a cruel world. He is essentially enabling the bottom of the food chain to become a serious threat to vicious predators. Without him, they're just...prospective grazing for all the other creatures. Sure, some of them die, but that's just, like, the surplus. I mean they wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for him anyway so HA. Also his notes do make him sound genuinely concerned about their welfare. Also, putting Crash here but not Spyro is unforgivable. Can you feel the weight of the shame bearing down on your shoulders? Sure, Crash had the pelvic thrusts, but Spyro had the thickest skull known to man. I have no idea how those are related.
  • mockturtle - October 20, 2012 5:10 a.m.

How is it at all possible you guys didn't include Bayonetta?! I thought you guys were big Bayonetta fans. And as a big Bayonetta fan myself, her exclusion makes me a sad panda.
  • Clovin64 - October 20, 2012 4:55 a.m.

The lack of Final Fantasy characters in this list gives me a serious case of SAD FACE. In the last 20 years or so the FF series has given us some of the best most memorable ensemble casts in gaming. I'll give my vote to either Balthier (FFXII), Yuna (FFX), or Zindane (FFIX), but there are many others I could mention.
  • yaswanth - October 20, 2012 2:39 a.m.

Where is Ezio? I thought he will be in top 5 list and Geralt of rivia deserves a better place.
  • MadMan - October 20, 2012 6:24 a.m.

Ezio is at #7.
  • Vordhosbn - October 20, 2012 2:34 a.m.

Whenever there's a Top 100, I have to come and say - you forgot Plok. He was out there throwing his limbs long before the likes of Rayman came along, and he also had a kick-ass soundtrack to do it to. Show Plok some respect! :(
  • johno_kush - October 20, 2012 1:37 a.m.

sev from killzone? or even the captain, what was his name. jan templar i think? dang thats probably wrong
  • phoenix_wings - October 20, 2012 12:42 a.m.

I'm really surprised that the Lone Wanderer didn't make somewhere on this list. So many moral dilemmas *steals stuff while you're not looking.*
  • Satchurated - October 19, 2012 10:58 p.m.

Where is Niko from Gta4? Arguably more of a character than CJ. Where is Spyro? Huge mascot for Sony. Where is Marcus Fenix from Gears of War? At least one guy from Gears has to be in this list and why not Marcus? The dude helped save the world and witnessed so many deaths of friends and family. How about John Tanner from Driver San Francisco? Maybe not as much as others, but his role in DSF was pretty good. If you can only put in one person from Halo then yes, the Master Chief is the obvious choice, but for a secondary choice, The Arbiter could be on the list too.
  • sgh341 - October 19, 2012 10:45 p.m.

WHERE ON EARTH IS NIKO BELLIC
  • Corsair89 - October 19, 2012 9:53 p.m.

If I only had to choose one character, I would choose Yuna from Final Fantasy X. In order to defeat the nigh-impervious demon Sin, who has been killing countless people for centuries and grips the world in fear, she had to go on a pilgrimage to summon the Final Aeon, knowing full well that summoning it would kill her. And not only that, but she knew that Sin would in all likeliness come back later like it always did. Sure, there was hope that someday it wouldn't return, but it always did and probably would after her death. So in order to buy her people a few months of peace, a few months where they can rest their heads at night without fear of Sin killing them in the night, she was willing to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders and ultimately die. She is one of the most noble and selfless video game characters ever and absolutely deserves to be on this list.
  • Apastron - October 21, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Polka from Eternal Sonata had the same aim, although she only knew it was a matter of time before she died so wanted to make a difference before it was too late. Stick these two on the list sharing a position and I'll be happy. Can't think of too many other characters that do the same except Nix in InFamous 2, although the seething hate in why she wanted to die doesn't quite put her in the same category as Yuna and Polka.
  • winner2 - October 19, 2012 9:45 p.m.

I am so glad Jack was on the list. I guess I'd add Spyro and Croc though.
  • JarkayColt - October 20, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Oh man oh man I completely forgot about Croc, which is a shame because I doubt there are that many people who'd care to remember him. But nothing says "hero" more than saving a whole race of cute fuzzy creatures and seeing them raise a massive statue in your honour!
  • J-Fid - October 19, 2012 9:43 p.m.

Ok, another top 100 list (well 90). I was going to be upset if Mario was not #1, since I would believe most people think of him when someone says video game hero. However, I certainly cannot argue against the three guys ahead of him. I actually forgot about Link (shame on me) until I saw him, and immediately I thought to myself, "Yep, that's a good #1." If I do have a voice, I have a couple of ideas. Pokemon Trainer Red: He is the only Pokemon protagonist to SINGLE HANDEDLY take down an ENTIRE evil organization. Every other one had some kind of assistance. Guile: The true family man, and the ultimate American. I'll add more if I can think of more.
  • Cyberninja - October 19, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Wait what not that I disagree with Nathan Drake being on the list but to have him as Number 3 with the justification of him making killing people ok doesn't make him a hero but a mass murder, instead you should let a real hero take number 3 which is The main character from persona 3 he sacrifices his life to become the seal to prevent the end of humanity, if that's not heroic nothing is.
  • aberkromby - October 19, 2012 8:43 p.m.

How 'bout B.J. Blazkowicz from the Wolfenstein series. Singlehandedly defeating a mech-suited Hitler after slaughtering half the Wermacht by himself, doesn't that deserve a mention?
  • DEDBURDYgames - October 19, 2012 8:35 p.m.

I think Domonic Santiago (Gears of War) deserves a spot on this list. Even if its on the bottom. (SPOILER ALERT) He fights his way through countless monsters to find his wife only to find out he has to put her out of her misery, he continues fighting even with the pain of losing his wife (and kids on E-day) and ultamitly sacrafices himself for his friends and for the good of the planet of Sera. If it wasnt for him, the war with the locast and lambent would have never stopped. The lambent would have continued mutating and eventualy destroy all human life on Sera. He is definately one of my gamming heros.- J.T. Utter, Leader of DEDBURDY games.