Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• batmanboy11 - January 31, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Good list.
  • Redeater - January 31, 2011 11:36 p.m.

I have to say i'm shocked that King's Quest 5 isn't on here. Throw a feakin pie at the yeti??? I have to say until I got all the way to the end and couldn't finish it because i had missed the fish hook, well that made me feel pretty freakin brilliant.
  • FanofSaiyan - January 31, 2011 11:37 p.m.

I doubt it would ever be considered part of this list, but the sheer amount of hand-eye coordination it takes to master Guitar Hero is staggering. I've played on expert for a few years now and am still progressively getting better (it doesn't help that my Wii broke awhile back...). As for Pokemon... I thought those mathematics were a joke! 0.0
  • TrAnMu - January 31, 2011 11:39 p.m.

Aw no Phoenix Wright games? Good article none the less.
  • celticsfan645 - February 1, 2011 12:22 a.m.

Im already a genius, i dont need no video games to tell me so.
  • CH3BURASHKA - February 1, 2011 12:27 a.m.

The depth of my Pokemon strategy never extended beyond holding down and A to catch Pokemon better, and getting to Cinnabar Island to get unlimited Rare Candies. I knew through other people that Pokemon was complicated as hell, but I never even thought those little cartridges could fit entire college courses, from the looks of things. Good article, Charlie. Hope to hear you on the 'Dar this week!
  • BlackTeam13 - February 1, 2011 1:11 a.m.

Only one point and click game Charlie? I expected more from you.
  • GammaGames - February 1, 2011 1:13 a.m.

How did I know Portal would be on this list? Oh yeah, I'm a genious!
  • FrozenImplosion - February 1, 2011 1:38 a.m.

I love almost every game on this list, and I do feel smarter playing them hehe. Bioshock also had some sections where you could be sneaky or strategic so you could argue that somewhat as well. Also I quite enjoyed finding out how pokeballs worked!! I always figured it was just like a random thing sort of like a roulette wheel. haha the first word of the recaptcha thing is "knowledge"
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - February 1, 2011 1:39 a.m.

@BlackTeam13 If you need more point-and-click from me, simply follow the first Want More link!
  • mastersword369 - February 1, 2011 2:10 a.m.

I think Half Life 2 deserves a spot just for the fact that it's puzzles are solved not by video games logic, but how ou would actually solve it.
  • FriendlyFire - February 1, 2011 2:18 a.m.

I'm surprised no RTS made the list. They might be the most complicated genre out there in terms of mental and physical abilities, requiring incredible precision combined with extremely sharp thought and strategic perspective. The simple fact Starcraft became a *national sport* without actually starting to be repetitive should be a testament to this. However, and despite the fact it's not actually out yet, I would've actually given a mention to Achron. A sci-fi RTS (if a little bland in its traditional elements) that blends time travel seamlessly? That's so mind-bending it's not even funny. The physics behind it, the possibilities (send units in the past to fight with themselves, plot an attack in a different past so that your enemy doesn't notice it until it's too late, build units in the future so that you can support yourself in the past, etc.) make my head explode every time I think about them.
  • ObliqueZombie - February 1, 2011 2:21 a.m.

I love me a good, short puzzle game as much as I love me an endless RPG or addictive shooter. Playing such brain-bending games is the biggest refresher I could ever ask for, and prepares me mentally for a lot of things, whether in other games or real-life situations. Also, where's Ilomilo? Was that not a favorite, or was it too new? Personally, I thought Ilomilo challenged me in ways Portal could never. Plus, their concept is VERY similar to Portal's. Overall, this list is amazing, and I DO feel like a genius discussing the plot, characterizations, and overall message or motives in BioShock and Dead Space!
  • MrSuitMan - February 1, 2011 2:29 a.m.

Funny thing about Pokemon actually. I recently wrote an essay a couple months back in my Junior 3AP English class on Pokemon. Got a 94.
  • Headshot10101 - February 1, 2011 2:35 a.m.

I love you Charlie! Also I totally agree with number one. Thank you for this wonderful Top Seven Article.
  • shawksta - February 1, 2011 3:14 a.m.

Exactly with pokemon, Behind its kiddy looks that everyone loves, lies the most intense strategizing in ANY Multiplayer RPG. The Hardcore Players(not Kids) really take it serious and what with wifi, tournaments and so on. Black and White did everyone a favore by giving us a random option in Wifi rather than JUST your friends
  • Thequestion 121 - February 1, 2011 3:17 a.m.

Sweet article.
  • ChrisAntistaLikesLittleBoys - February 1, 2011 3:18 a.m.

No Zelda? Some of those dungeons are mind bending
  • GameManiac - February 1, 2011 3:27 a.m.

Pokemon, Portal, and the Professor... It's my three-P of intelligence.
  • GhoulxScout13 - February 1, 2011 4:49 a.m.

I'm glad to see that the reason Braid was added was due to the gameplay itself and not because of the pretentious story associated with it.