• psyche_out86 - February 22, 2014 2:31 a.m.

There is a place in this world for games without great stories, but not in my world. Bioshock Infinite is a superb example of great gameplay and great story working together to create something leagues above it's contemporaries. Rather than releasing another COD or FIFA with minor tweaks from their previous iterations, designers should be working on games that change lives and perspectives.
  • stephen-knight - February 18, 2014 12:39 p.m.

I absolutely love the story for Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt) - the game ruined by the AquaNox series "sequels". "Peace time is hard time for mercers, like me." 1996? Puts MANY games of recent years to shame. Including a lot on this list.
  • SqueakyBabyDuck - February 15, 2014 9:24 a.m.

Also with Persona 4, cryed like a baby at the end...
  • SqueakyBabyDuck - February 15, 2014 9:23 a.m.

Dear god the amount of tears flowing from my eyes when I was playing To The Moon is unimaginable. That game has the best story I've ever seen anywhere.
  • tomleb3 - February 12, 2014 12:59 a.m.

Hmm.. let me think.. FUCKING MAFIA 2 ??!!! Which has THE BEST storyline in a game ever, PERIOD!!!
  • brickman409 - January 30, 2014 2:35 p.m.

where did you get that picture for Fallout 2? it's very high res
  • vietthepirate - January 8, 2014 4:59 a.m.

starcraft 1
  • hopefully - December 27, 2013 9:16 p.m.

Phoenix Wright
  • vermicelli - December 22, 2013 7:21 a.m.

Glad you included San Andreas. You Forgot the STORY to SAINTS ROW 3&4: THE GREATEST STORY'S IN A GAME, IN A VERY LONG TIME.. Thats one of SAINTS ROW 2's PROBLEMS: ITS STORY was Too Cheesy, Over-the-top and goofy to ever work as a serious game that it pretended to be. Fanboys pretend otherwise but thats the truth. It was an average San Andreas knockoff which only fanboys try to defend for its bad, incohesive story and copied gameplay elements. WET had a similar story issue (Though WET as a whole was a very good game, it at least knew it didn't do serious well).
  • jseph1234 - October 13, 2013 8:10 a.m.

Vampier the Masquerade: Bloodline... Multiple Story-lines and plots beyond belief..nuff' said
  • Silentcapt2 - September 13, 2013 5:57 p.m.

I was really happy to see Persona 4 on this list. It's one of the few games that I actually had to force myself to quit because I started to become more attached to the in-game characters than I did real life. Yes, that sounds pretty pathetic, but it was summer and all my friends where away. I don't really know if Persona 5 can top Persona 4, but here's hoping it does.
  • albiokay - August 13, 2013 11:07 p.m.

really surprised to find that Shadow of the Colossus didn't make the list :/
  • rob-harris - March 16, 2014 5:52 p.m.

not me.
  • Datadog - July 26, 2013 1:02 a.m.

I just finished "L.A. Noire", and it's not a very well-constructed story at all. It's twenty hours of unrelated, repetitive case work before the plot even comes together and even then, everything is shoe-horned into the last three hours with too many plot-holes. The same goes for "BioShock" and "Braid" - they're known for their plot twists, yet there's barely any plot to twist. Almost the rest of your list contains games with actual narratives, so it's weird that these ones are included.
  • cobra0528 - September 9, 2014 5:50 p.m.

Finally! Someone with some sense. Bioshock and L.A. Noire fit your description perfectly. "There's barely any plot to twist." Great way to put it.
  • jason-yoo - July 25, 2013 9:06 p.m.

The last of us- Noone is likeable at the beginning? I thought Joel was pretty bad-ass, and his daughter was pretty awesome.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - July 20, 2013 11:08 a.m.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite, and good lord what an amazing game that was. I would have definitly put it higher on the list.
  • rob619 - July 18, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Just to add, how is Heavy Rain not on this list, quite shocking really? That game is known for its gripping story, first time I have seen gamesradar staff fail. If you can replace a game on the list for that, Heavy Rain was so emotional
  • rob619 - July 18, 2013 1:12 p.m.

So glad MGS3 is on here. Such a fantastic game in all aspects on hardware such as ps2 is amazing it blows most of the current gen games out of the water. The ending till the opening was just wow "snake eater". Will have to play Silent Hill 2 Hd now as its number one on the list? Can someone just comment on if it is worth it? What is so good about it?!! Thanks in advance, I already have so many games to play
  • ivan-osorio - September 27, 2013 2:26 a.m.

Old comment, but nonetheless: Is SH2 worth it? Yes. What's good about it? Everything. No, seriously. The game is a bit dated, obviously, it plays like a forklift, but that is sort of the intent. Really good puzzles, absurdly good and SUBTLE story which is not just rubbed into your face, excellent use of symbolism. The only bada thing about it is that it is not an easy game to "find". There is an HD remaster but you should avoid that at all costs. It's awful and runs worst than the original. There is a PC version but it runs fantastically bad, full of glitches, on modern PCs (the game was not built to support multi-core technology and breaks because of it. There are some fixes, but they are complicated as all hell). I would recommend the PS2 or Xbox version of the game, if you can get it.