Topics

Best of GR

• s110outlookcom - July 16, 2013 8:12 p.m.

psychonauts...nfs mw(2005)...rtc wolfnstein...farcry 3...
  • rabmonk006 - July 16, 2013 5:16 p.m.

I love grim fandango.. but the longest journey needs to be on this list
  • Ironarm - July 16, 2013 3:37 p.m.

Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward has probably the greatest story ever in my opinion. The first game 999 is amazing as well, but VLR takes it to another level. It's simply wonderful. I also just finished The Last Of Us. That's a damn fine story too. I had to stop playing after the Winter segment just because I had to take in what I just played through.
  • Luciferum - December 5, 2013 4:36 a.m.

I'm so glad you mentioned 999, but is Virtues Last Reward really that good? I'm getting a vita and Persona 4 Golden for Christmas... maybe I should add that to the list... It's just, I haven't enjoyed a more genius storyline than 999 in a video game in my life. The ones that are up there with 999's Storyline is really only BlazBlue and Planescape Torment. If Virtues Last Reward is really better than 999, than I don't think I'm going to be able to contain myself for Christmas. Might need to go ahead and rob a store for it.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 16, 2013 1:26 p.m.

cod balck op2 had by far the most best story i ever seen in a gane
  • ragelinkin - July 17, 2013 10:20 a.m.

then you havent played any great games..... not that its a bad story
  • bedelicious - July 16, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Great list. My top 3: Planescape: Torment, Silent Hill 2 and Bioshock. Should finally play Grim Fandango and still to play Bioshock: Infinite. Also, the old Fallouts. So many great games, so little time xD I loved the story in Max Payne 1+2 a lot, the way it was told made it so engaging. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was also very memorable, with great characters and dialogue. Definitely games I'd recommend to people who care about the story.
  • malti001 - July 16, 2013 12:20 p.m.

What about Mafia 2? I literally couldn't put the game down until I knew what was going to happen to the characters-that's how much I cared about them (which is rare for a video game these days!)
  • n00b - July 15, 2013 6:57 p.m.

where is no more heroes and killer 7?
  • ~LanceR. - July 15, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Heavy Rain, Tales of Symphonia and Uncharted has great stories as well.
  • JHidden - July 15, 2013 5:25 p.m.

Hmmm, what about 999 Nine Hours,Nine Persons,Nine Doors. Kind of underappreciated but if you played it youll probably understand
  • lionheart1986 - July 15, 2013 8:21 a.m.

BioShock is my favorite of all the games on this list. I've yet to play Silent Hill 2 though... I think an honorable mention would be Final Fantasy Tactics. During a time where everyone I knew was going crazy for FFVII's story; I was engrossed in the complicated plot that was The Lion War. You could equate the many twist and turns to the War of the Roses, or even Game of Thrones, but the amount of political and religious conflicts going on made your head spin and gives you a true sense of why war can never be black and white, and never is. And the way the story is told is brilliant; you are basically playing the events of the Lion War from a point of view (Ramza) that is secretly removed from the history books. To think that everything you and your party is doing, is held from history for many many years, makes you wonder what stories in our own wars have never been told, that truly shaped their outcomes.
  • gilgamesh310 - July 14, 2013 2:15 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 should be on a worst game stories list. I don't know what the hell it's doing here.
  • Child Of Death - July 14, 2013 9:21 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 had an amazing story. I dont know what the hell your comment is doing here.
  • Dyfan - July 14, 2013 12:24 p.m.

I get the feeling that most people just flipped through the games without actually reading the explanations under each one. for example, L.A. Noire appears to have been listed less for it's overall story and more for the writing and emotion put into the interrogation and investigation scenes.
  • phoenixwright13 - July 14, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Can you put Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations or Apollo Justice on this list?
  • PBC13 - July 14, 2013 10:54 a.m.

I think Grand Theft Auto IV deserves a place in a list like this. I'd go as far so to say in the top 5. In fact it would be my personal number 1. It actually did something new with a typical gangster/underworld story for a start. Gone is the usual American Italian or Triad type stuff that is at the centre of most crime games. Replaced with a more modern tale of immigrants that is actually relevant in today's world. It twists and turns subtly and cleverly with the main plot and subplot intertwining over the course of the main game. It has more depth and layering than almost any other game I have ever played. It may not have the immediacy of games like The Walking Dead and Red Dead Redemption, but within the narrative is a more complex and interesting story than almost anything else gaming has produced. And that is without even considering the extra depth that the two spin off stories add. Or to bring up the collection of great new Rockstar characters that are more than just funny but actually reflect a little on the world Rockstar are attempting to portray. To a lot of people Grand Theft Auto IV was very over-rated - I am starting to think it's actually the most under-rated game of this generation.
  • lionheart1986 - July 15, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I would agree with your statement that it is probably more under-rated for how great the story is. Especially because I feel that the story improved on San Andreas, which was also a fantastic and made it to the list; but GTA IV should be here too. Also The Ballad of Gay Tony had a great story as well. Although that was more fun and entertaining, it did a great job of connecting all the dots between the main GTA narrative and the DLC.
  • Killingjoke - July 14, 2013 10:14 a.m.

I started Silent Hill 2. 2 years ago and yet to finish it. Everyone says its such a great game, I should go back.
  • JENNYPICCOLO - July 17, 2013 4:12 p.m.

you will be extremely glad you did