Topics

Best of GR

• R_U_Guys_From_British - July 12, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Mass effect 2 was a great story. Such a shame they couldn't top themselves with mass effect 3
  • Bloodstorm - July 12, 2013 5:56 p.m.

As much as I disliked the ending, 99% of Mass Effect 3 was better then Mass Effect 2
  • BladedFalcon - July 13, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Untrue, but then again, I already explained why in my post above. I'd invite you to read it and think about it.
  • Bloodstorm - July 13, 2013 12:30 p.m.

@ BladdedFalcon, is your reply directed towards me?
  • Bloodstorm - July 13, 2013 12:43 p.m.

@BladedFalcon, never mind, found the post you were referring to.
  • Mr.YumYums - July 16, 2013 1:46 p.m.

If you already explained it to him, and it is clear, why comment again on it? It just seems unnecessary. Being that guy that always is right in internet discussions...
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - July 13, 2013 9:10 a.m.

So except the ME3 ending, you think that game's story is better than ME2? This makes me sad :-(
  • Bloodstorm - July 13, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Yes. I had more emotional connections with ME3 than ME2. ME2, personally, worst of the series (note: worst of an amazing series = still a good game). The plot is 80% collecting squad members, 10% running their mostly boring errands, 8% Cerberus patsy missions, and 2% actually galaxy saving storyline. It was weak. It had it's moments, but ME3 had many more of them. Great DLC though.
  • MrJP - July 12, 2013 2:46 p.m.

It's a cliche to suggest FF7 and Zelda LTTP, but as a kid those were the two games that most immersed me in their worlds and made me care about the characters. I know people will say FF7 is about a whiney protagonist and blah blah blah, but the back story of each character was fantastic, the villain was intriguing and the death of Aeris was shocking and emotional. Zelda LTTP on it's own, detached from the series, was a great tale. From the stormy opening, to the final battle, it had a great pace of story that sucked you in and made (for me at least) all of the dungeons feel like chapters and stepping stones to an end, rather than a series of filer quests.
  • Bloodstorm - July 12, 2013 2:37 p.m.

This list is...... well, definitely not my list. Bioshock at number 2? Have you played Bioshock recently? I have, and one word comes to mind: shallow. It may have cut it in 2007, but it is best left to nostalgia. Storytelling has come a long way since this "masterpiece", if it could even be called such a thing, and I like Bioshock, but I'm also realistic.
  • bebl09 - July 13, 2013 6:11 p.m.

I agree completely. The backstory to Bioshock is amazing if you ask me, the world of Rapture, Andrew Ryan's philosophy, the fall of Rapture... But the story of the game itself is nothing special, the Sixth Sense-esque twist notwithstanding. Apart from that, it just felt very formulaic, none moreso than the boss battle at the end and the good/evil endings.
  • Bloodstorm - July 13, 2013 6:53 p.m.

Agreed. Rapture is an amazingly interesting place, the plot to the first Bioshock, not so much.
  • HyldenKing - July 12, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Xenogears? The Longest Journey?
  • TheCybercoco - July 12, 2013 9:38 p.m.

Exactly, I was thinking of those two exact games as well. How the hell can you have a "25 greatest video game stories" and not include those masterpieces?
  • MaskedPheasant - July 12, 2013 12:43 p.m.

I'd argue Tony Hawk's: Underground is worth a mention. What other story inspires such hate against the antagonist? Also I believe I mis-read Red Dead Redemption's #1 as a 6 - must have been a mistake.
  • Swedish_Chef - July 13, 2013 3:29 a.m.

Eric Sparrow can eat all the dicks. ALL OF THEM!
  • Knave - July 12, 2013 12:22 p.m.

I made an account just to rag on this HORRIBLE list. I'm not trolling, I'm not kidding, I'm being completely serious. First of all, I'm glad to see Planescape: Torment on here, but there's no excuse for it not being #1. Yes, while Silent Hill 2 is a fantastic game with a good story, P:T is handsdown the best narrative in gaming and I have yet to see a change in that. I am completely just blown away at your #2. Really? Bioshock? Certainly, the story was good, but have you ever played, gee I dunno, System Shock 2? SS2 is infinitely better than Bioshock will ever be. Also this list has a complete lack of Deus Ex, which I feel should be #2 behind P:T. Fallout 2 should be much higher on the list as well. Remove the following: Alan Wake, Braid, GTA:SA, Ass Creed 2, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 2 (Mass Effect 1 should be there instead), To the Moon, Portal 2, Persona 4 (for real, this one has the worst story in the series), The Last of Us, and Bioshock.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 12:38 p.m.

If you're going to bitch about the list because it has things you don't like. At least have the decency to at least EXPLAIN why is it so horrible and not just say "This sucks and this sucks, and this game is sooo much better than this" without any context. otherwise you only come across as a whinny brat that just want things done their way. And no, I'm not being hypocritical, I also have problems with this list, but at least I took the trouble to elaborate WHY.
  • TCMU287 - July 12, 2013 4:39 p.m.

I'm always baffled when people hate on bioshock simply because "System Shock 2 is way better." That's certainly true in some ways. SS2 had fantastic gameplay that fit right in with the terrifying atmosphere. Gameplay is definitely Biosock's biggest weakness. But your argument makes no sense for two reasons. 1. The SAME PEOPLE made both. Bioshock has so many similarities because Irrational wanted it to be like SS2, but reach a wider, modern audience. 2. Biosock has two things SS2 didn't. First, there's intelligent, and highly original (for a game) deconstructions of certain social philosophies and video game tropes, all tied together almost perfectly (yes the very end is terrible.) Second, and most importantly, Bioshock has Andrew Ryan. If you don't see why Andrew Ryan is such an incredible, well made character, I'm not going to bother explaining, because many others have done a better job than I could.
  • Civfanatic - July 12, 2013 4:49 p.m.

I was agreeing with you until I read that bit about To The Moon. If you think To The Moon doesn't deserve to be on this list.. well.. you know nothing, Knave. I agree with the bits about PS:T and Fallout 2. And i also think Grim Fandango should be higher.
  • luckyseven - July 12, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Really happy to see Grim Fandango up thee. Wish it was higher though. Absolutely agree with Red Dead and The Last of Us.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 11:42 a.m.

"Chrono Trigger" Okay, No. No, no, no NO. I know that there's different strokes for different people. Which is why even if I don't agree, I've tolerated seeing Chrono Trigger on top of "Best of" lists, be it of SNES games, RPGS, or overall best games of all time. If nothing else, the game has going for it a very strong combat, state of the art sprite graphics, and a gorgeous soundtrack. But singling it out for having one of the best stories of gaming? FUCK. NO. I'm sorry, but everyone that says that sincerely is either stuck with huge, rose tinted nostalgia goggles, or is simply delusional. Everyone keeps mentioning the time travel thing as the basis for this argument, but that doesn't work because the game doesn't really do much with time travel for the main story, it mainly serves as a plot device to transfer the party from one cool setting to the next, and the story is the most conventional RPG story you could ever get. " A princess has been kidnapped! go kill the monster that did it and rescue her!", "A monster has appeared that exists only to destroy the world apparently, find a way kill it." "Hey! there's this brooding guy that was acting totally evil and remorseless for the first half of the game, but then you discover he has a HEART, and you can get him to join you!" "Oh look! the protagonist sacrifices himself and the monster that kills him leaves everyone else alone for some reason, and how convenient, suddenly we now know of a magical thingamajig that will let us bring him back to life! So no consequences whatsoever!" Seriously, I know I've ranted about this every time CT is brought up. But I had to do it again because it appearing in this list is just unforgivable. There are many things that CT does right and deserve defending. The story and characters however, are NOT one of them. So putting it here where the sole purpose is to judge the game's story, it's outright ridiculous. /ANGRY RANT. Anyway, the rest of the list seems solid enough. On one hand,. don't really agree with L.A. Noire, Assasin's Creed II, (The ending sucked, no matter what the fans say.) And Alan Wake Being here, and I maintain that MGS1 has a better story than MGS3. But I can still understand why they would be here. And the rest are games I KNOW do have seriously great stories, or at the very least I've heard nothing but great things about them. FFVI, To The Moon, Portal 2, And The Last of Us being here specially, do make me happy, and ALMOST make up for the fact that CT is put unfairly on this list.
  • luckyseven - July 12, 2013 12:13 p.m.

Always love when some ones's so passionate AGAINST a game