Topics

Best of GR

• robotic-fiend - July 12, 2013 10:39 a.m.

To the Moon = "Babby's first visual novel" there are hundreds of more emotional interactive/visual novel style stories than that, such as Saya no Uta, Little Busters, or Muv Luv Alternative just to name a few, though if playing To the Moon gets you to seek out the meatier Visual Novel stories then it has done it's job.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - July 12, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Saya no Uta is rad, but COME ON lol
  • freeden - July 12, 2013 4:45 p.m.

To the Moon isn't quite a vis novel and is closer to point-click adventures. I think the underplays the effectiveness of To The Moon's story, which contains some incredibly mature themes often unexplored in games. It's also very effective at creating likable and very human characters. It does, indeed have quite an incredible story. I've been playing point and click adventures for years, games with incredible stories, and it's still one of the best I've ever seen, and that comes from it's ability to create a relateable, human tale in a way I have rarely seen done within the realm of video games.
  • Cyberninja - July 12, 2013 10:37 a.m.

Please tell me that number 5 is a joke, Persona 4 has the worst story in the entire Persona series, I understand it was everyone on staffs introduction to Persona but that is no reason to put it anywhere close to the top of the list.
  • freeden - July 12, 2013 10:26 a.m.

Extremely disappointed there's no mention of Deus Ex or System Shock 2. These two games easily have two of the best plotlines ever told in any video game, ever. But there are also some weird choices here. GTA: San Andreas? Seriously? That plot is about as deep as the magazine in my doctor's office. I can think of half a dozen games with better storylines than half a dozen games here, quite a few of which come from classic point and click adventure games: Secret of Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father, King's Quest VI, Gemini Rue, etc. There are too many games to count with such incredible stories, and yet, this list is devoid of such superior tales. It's disappointing to say the least.
  • obviouslyadouche - July 12, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Somewhere there is an extremely happy Charlie Barret.
  • Ryuk - January 31, 2013 10:59 p.m.

>> To The Moon << ???
  • mindbender - May 4, 2012 5 a.m.

mass effect series would definately make a good addition to this list
  • zelow-wollufsh - April 15, 2012 11:14 a.m.

dafaq? where is half life 1 and 2
  • suhas-ravikumar - December 27, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Where is Assasin's creed series....its th best story i hav ever seen in a video game.....
  • braden-johnson - March 3, 2012 6:28 p.m.

i 150% agree.Assassins creed by far has the best story i have ever seen.
  • KishouTenpi - April 9, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Amazing list, I want to play every one of these games
  • Rivenscry - February 1, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Good job, good list. Except you may have left out an entry. It's not a big deal, I mean how many people have played HALF-LIFE before? Wow that was a bad moment for you. And I thought I was peeved when I heard about the Left 4 Dead Boycott. (man, that was dumb) But really? No Half-Life? Come on guys. You must be kidding. You include Grim Fandango and Astro Boy over Gordon Freeman? My faith today in humanity, ladies and gentlemen, has been shaken. Shame on you. Otherwise good article, keep it up.
  • Forsakenday - July 12, 2013 12:26 p.m.

You people really need to stop whacking off to Half Life. It's not that impressive of a game. Basically your run of the mill "Aliens are here you are the only one that can stop them" game. I've never understood why that series has been held up so high, same with Portal. Portal 2 should not have been anywhere on this list, what a joke.
  • OrionOnyx - February 1, 2011 3:58 a.m.

FFVII?? Half-Life?? Morrowind??
  • Chaoscoolperson - November 6, 2010 2:38 a.m.

I understand why these made the list but where is Halo? sure it had its ups and downs but its space epic is comparable with Star Wars, unlike most games. I think by far it is the best especially since it has so much more stories in the universe besides the main trilogy.
  • divine-thy-epice - March 2, 2013 8:04 a.m.

HALO sucks. :) The story is crap as compared to Mass Effect aswell. Go play it. :). I retain my word, halo sucks: there's no change. EVER.
  • Chaoscoolperson - March 6, 2013 11:24 a.m.

Well I certainly enjoyed Halo's story, It is my opinion that it is very good. but I think I agree by now that Mass Effect's story is better. That comment was made 3 years ago and I had completely forgotten about both it and this article.
  • Chaoscoolperson - March 6, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Actually I'm not going to judge them against each other, as I like both in different ways. They are both good and would both be added if I could've helped it.
  • DreamWeaverPL - October 22, 2010 12:11 a.m.

Those are supposed to be the best stories? You're either trolls or morons.
  • DizzyDial - August 19, 2010 5:33 p.m.

I think it's a pretty solid list, borrowing from a variety of genres, but there are a few glaring omissions (most notably Earthbound, Xenogears, and Dues Ex.)