Topics

Best of GR

• luckyseven - July 12, 2013 12:14 p.m.

Really happy to see Grim Fandango up thee. Wish it was higher though. Absolutely agree with Red Dead and The Last of Us.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 11:42 a.m.

"Chrono Trigger" Okay, No. No, no, no NO. I know that there's different strokes for different people. Which is why even if I don't agree, I've tolerated seeing Chrono Trigger on top of "Best of" lists, be it of SNES games, RPGS, or overall best games of all time. If nothing else, the game has going for it a very strong combat, state of the art sprite graphics, and a gorgeous soundtrack. But singling it out for having one of the best stories of gaming? FUCK. NO. I'm sorry, but everyone that says that sincerely is either stuck with huge, rose tinted nostalgia goggles, or is simply delusional. Everyone keeps mentioning the time travel thing as the basis for this argument, but that doesn't work because the game doesn't really do much with time travel for the main story, it mainly serves as a plot device to transfer the party from one cool setting to the next, and the story is the most conventional RPG story you could ever get. " A princess has been kidnapped! go kill the monster that did it and rescue her!", "A monster has appeared that exists only to destroy the world apparently, find a way kill it." "Hey! there's this brooding guy that was acting totally evil and remorseless for the first half of the game, but then you discover he has a HEART, and you can get him to join you!" "Oh look! the protagonist sacrifices himself and the monster that kills him leaves everyone else alone for some reason, and how convenient, suddenly we now know of a magical thingamajig that will let us bring him back to life! So no consequences whatsoever!" Seriously, I know I've ranted about this every time CT is brought up. But I had to do it again because it appearing in this list is just unforgivable. There are many things that CT does right and deserve defending. The story and characters however, are NOT one of them. So putting it here where the sole purpose is to judge the game's story, it's outright ridiculous. /ANGRY RANT. Anyway, the rest of the list seems solid enough. On one hand,. don't really agree with L.A. Noire, Assasin's Creed II, (The ending sucked, no matter what the fans say.) And Alan Wake Being here, and I maintain that MGS1 has a better story than MGS3. But I can still understand why they would be here. And the rest are games I KNOW do have seriously great stories, or at the very least I've heard nothing but great things about them. FFVI, To The Moon, Portal 2, And The Last of Us being here specially, do make me happy, and ALMOST make up for the fact that CT is put unfairly on this list.
  • luckyseven - July 12, 2013 12:13 p.m.

Always love when some ones's so passionate AGAINST a game
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 12:19 p.m.

I'm not against CT as a game itself. I'm simply against the hype and reverence behind it. Because it genuinely feels unwarranted. I'm not saying CT is crap, or people aren't allowed to like it. But when I recently played it, one of the things that stuck out like a sore thumb, is that the game actually had a pretty bland, borderline BAD story. So seeing it in a list that's focused specifically on game's stories, this feels like a huge discrepancy. It's like putting "Journey" in a top X list of the "best action games ever."
  • luckyseven - July 12, 2013 1:07 p.m.

No I get it. I wasn't knocking you for it. I really do love when some one is so passionate against a game or film.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 1:11 p.m.

*Laughs* Man, my sarcasm detector is way off today XD Thinking your post is being sarcastic when it isn't, and failing to see other's posts when they ARE being sarcastic >>;
  • Arobadope - July 12, 2013 2:52 p.m.

lol this post.
  • freeden - July 12, 2013 4:53 p.m.

I don't know, that's kind of harsh against a game that had such severe limitations going against it in terms of storytelling. It goes so far beyond just saving a princess and is pretty effective in conveying both it's menace and tragedy. It still holds up as well as it does because it's story is fairly unconventional, even by today's standards. Heck, they kill off the main character halfway through the game, something almost unthinkable at the time (unless, of course, you've played the Phantasy Star series, then it's commonplace to have major characters killed off). The characters are well written and have depth and weight. Even some of the villains weren't entirely villainous. I think by now Magus has become well known for being such a grey villain. The time travel aspect also becomes an integral part of the story. The best tales about time travel merely use it as a means to convey a greater story, in this case, about the possibility of changing fate and of multiple lives and of hope when only desolation seems possible. I think that the future presented in the games is still one of the most tragic presented of any time travel tale and still get a chill (pun intended) when playing. CT is held so highly on so many lists because it is an accomplishment in storytelling for early gaming and stands the test of time. We may be used to the conventions used by the game now because they've, since, been used so often, but for the time, they were new and interesting. And the story is very beloved, beyond nostalgia factor. Overall, it's just a very good, and very well told, story.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Actually... it's not harsh at all. considering Final Fantasy VI overcomes many of these limitations, tells a much deeper, unconventional story, has more and better developed characters... And it came out before Chrono trigger. So you can't really use tech limitations as an excuse. Also, most of the things are false. The story when you look at it is in it's core super simple. ragtag band of heroes have to team up to stop an evil force from destroying the world. it's the oldest, most cliched story in the history of humanity. And regarding the killing of Crono... That doesn't even really count because the entire plot pauses in order to revive him, and they do, and they use a cheap, convenient plot device that had never been mentioned before, and is never properly explained. So that actually negates any impact the death of Crono could have had. They negated any real consequence of it by reviving him immediately afterward. Nothing was really lost. So no... it's not a very well told story, it's actually riddled with countless cliches and conventions often seen in saturday morning cartoons and mainstream anime.
  • slimjim441 - July 12, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Sad not to see Lords of Shadow, Heavy Rain, Ni no Kuni, Half-Life 2 (expansions included), or anything from the Uncharted series, namely 3. But, you can't please everyone. Still a fun read.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 11:25 a.m.

None of those have truly standout stories, (except Ni No Kuni, which I haven't played yet.) to be honest. And I say this as someone that loved LoS and Heavy rain. I could say most of them have solid stories, but almost all of them suffer from either stupid plotholes, or not that interesting characters or twists. And I'm sorry, but the Uncharted games don't have great plots, they are serviceable as popcorn flick adventures, but they are formulaic as fuck.
  • slimjim441 - July 12, 2013 4:16 p.m.

Well, I obviously and wholly disagree. Half-Life 2 had a great story. The only reason its story has lose ends is because Valve let the series die during the pinnacle of the story. I also don't know how you could say LoS has plot holes, uninteresting characters, or lackluster plot twists. Kojima helped a lot with that one, and we all know that Hideo Kojima, lose plot ends, flat characters, and lame stories just don't mix.
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Whatever the reason, the story of HL2 is still incomplete. And I mean, it's a solid story, but there isn't anything particularly groundbreaking about it. As for LoS. Same thing, i think it's a pretty good story, but Gabriel isn't exactly an original character. As as for the plot twist, it's a really good, shocking twist... for those that are fans or at least familiar with the Castlevania lore. It's a twist that relies on the player's beforehand knowledge of the franchise. And outside of that, it's nothing mind bending as say, finding out that what your actions as a player are akin to pretty much being mind controlled without being aware of it.
  • Mr.YumYums - July 12, 2013 2:11 p.m.

I agree, well mainly with Half-Life 2 (I haven't played any of the others besides the Uncharted series). I feel that it's an interesting story specially the characters around Morgan Freeman and how they react to him and his near epic accomplishments topped with an incredible world full of ambience. My only gripe against it is that.. well... it's not finished :(
  • bebl09 - July 13, 2013 6:15 p.m.

Lol Morgan Freeman :P
  • Mr.YumYums - July 15, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Dude hahaha I just noticed that, my bad.
  • bebl09 - July 15, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Hahaha Morgan Freeman would be awesome as the protagonist of the Half Life series :P
  • Mr.YumYums - July 15, 2013 1:08 p.m.

The only problem is that Gabe would not let him talk :( Although I can picture Morgan Freeman, a face with the calmest demeanor smashing skulls with a crowbar haha
  • LukyRatchet - July 12, 2013 11 a.m.

Where is Mother 3?!
  • shawksta - July 12, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Great list and good reasons but as usual everyone's opinion is different. Its hard to say on LA Noir, maybe if it didnt bore me to death i wouldve loved its story. Super Paper Mario's story is one of the reasons its one of my top favorite underrated games, it was mature, it was dark at times and had some nice subplots during chapters, and the music really does it justice. There's also games like Ghost Trick, and Ace Attorney that are great because of their story, and etc.