Topics

Best of GR

• slimjim441 - July 12, 2013 11:07 a.m.

Sad not to see Lords of Shadow, Heavy Rain, Ni no Kuni, Half-Life 2 (expansions included), or anything from the Uncharted series, namely 3. But, you can't please everyone. Still a fun read.
  • Mr.YumYums - July 12, 2013 2:11 p.m.

I agree, well mainly with Half-Life 2 (I haven't played any of the others besides the Uncharted series). I feel that it's an interesting story specially the characters around Morgan Freeman and how they react to him and his near epic accomplishments topped with an incredible world full of ambience. My only gripe against it is that.. well... it's not finished :(
  • bebl09 - July 13, 2013 6:15 p.m.

Lol Morgan Freeman :P
  • Mr.YumYums - July 15, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Dude hahaha I just noticed that, my bad.
  • bebl09 - July 15, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Hahaha Morgan Freeman would be awesome as the protagonist of the Half Life series :P
  • Mr.YumYums - July 15, 2013 1:08 p.m.

The only problem is that Gabe would not let him talk :( Although I can picture Morgan Freeman, a face with the calmest demeanor smashing skulls with a crowbar haha
  • LukyRatchet - July 12, 2013 11 a.m.

Where is Mother 3?!
  • shawksta - July 12, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Great list and good reasons but as usual everyone's opinion is different. Its hard to say on LA Noir, maybe if it didnt bore me to death i wouldve loved its story. Super Paper Mario's story is one of the reasons its one of my top favorite underrated games, it was mature, it was dark at times and had some nice subplots during chapters, and the music really does it justice. There's also games like Ghost Trick, and Ace Attorney that are great because of their story, and etc.
  • Bloodstorm - July 12, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Glad to see someone else who was bored by LA Noir. I do not get the hype.
  • RavensPoet - July 12, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Yeah this list is kind of... off. Why the heck is LA Noir on there? It wasn't that engaging of a game, repetitive and boring.
  • robotic-fiend - July 12, 2013 10:39 a.m.

To the Moon = "Babby's first visual novel" there are hundreds of more emotional interactive/visual novel style stories than that, such as Saya no Uta, Little Busters, or Muv Luv Alternative just to name a few, though if playing To the Moon gets you to seek out the meatier Visual Novel stories then it has done it's job.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - July 12, 2013 10:54 a.m.

Saya no Uta is rad, but COME ON lol
  • freeden - July 12, 2013 4:45 p.m.

To the Moon isn't quite a vis novel and is closer to point-click adventures. I think the underplays the effectiveness of To The Moon's story, which contains some incredibly mature themes often unexplored in games. It's also very effective at creating likable and very human characters. It does, indeed have quite an incredible story. I've been playing point and click adventures for years, games with incredible stories, and it's still one of the best I've ever seen, and that comes from it's ability to create a relateable, human tale in a way I have rarely seen done within the realm of video games.
  • Cyberninja - July 12, 2013 10:37 a.m.

Please tell me that number 5 is a joke, Persona 4 has the worst story in the entire Persona series, I understand it was everyone on staffs introduction to Persona but that is no reason to put it anywhere close to the top of the list.
  • freeden - July 12, 2013 10:26 a.m.

Extremely disappointed there's no mention of Deus Ex or System Shock 2. These two games easily have two of the best plotlines ever told in any video game, ever. But there are also some weird choices here. GTA: San Andreas? Seriously? That plot is about as deep as the magazine in my doctor's office. I can think of half a dozen games with better storylines than half a dozen games here, quite a few of which come from classic point and click adventure games: Secret of Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father, King's Quest VI, Gemini Rue, etc. There are too many games to count with such incredible stories, and yet, this list is devoid of such superior tales. It's disappointing to say the least.
  • obviouslyadouche - July 12, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Somewhere there is an extremely happy Charlie Barret.
  • Ryuk - January 31, 2013 10:59 p.m.

>> To The Moon << ???
  • mindbender - May 4, 2012 5 a.m.

mass effect series would definately make a good addition to this list
  • zelow-wollufsh - April 15, 2012 11:14 a.m.

dafaq? where is half life 1 and 2
  • suhas-ravikumar - December 27, 2011 1:14 p.m.

Where is Assasin's creed series....its th best story i hav ever seen in a video game.....
  • braden-johnson - March 3, 2012 6:28 p.m.

i 150% agree.Assassins creed by far has the best story i have ever seen.
  • KishouTenpi - April 9, 2011 12:56 p.m.

Amazing list, I want to play every one of these games
  • Rivenscry - February 1, 2011 1:52 p.m.

Good job, good list. Except you may have left out an entry. It's not a big deal, I mean how many people have played HALF-LIFE before? Wow that was a bad moment for you. And I thought I was peeved when I heard about the Left 4 Dead Boycott. (man, that was dumb) But really? No Half-Life? Come on guys. You must be kidding. You include Grim Fandango and Astro Boy over Gordon Freeman? My faith today in humanity, ladies and gentlemen, has been shaken. Shame on you. Otherwise good article, keep it up.