• jmcgrotty - March 23, 2012 3:33 a.m.

First, as others have said, Birdo is a male. Was in the original instruction book, so it will always be the case. Deal with it. Secondly, and more relevant, this article had one very, very important result: It's time to end all of the Smash Bros garbage. There are already too many characters and there are only 4 1/2 characters in this list that deserve to be included ever as well. The other nearly-twenty? It's embarrassing you even bothered to list them. That's not to even mention that exactly only 17 characters from Super Smash Bros Brawl should have been included in the first place. Utterly pathetic. But, all you did was point out how much of a failure this series has become.
  • Cyberninja - March 23, 2012 3:43 a.m.

so why is it a problem that a cross over game has a lot of characters? you say that only 17 characters from brawl should have been included in the first place, why most characters in brawl except maybe 5 were unique from everyone else, MvC 2 and 3 are both crossover games with huge rosters so I see no problem or how the series is a failure.
  • jackthekingsmit - March 25, 2012 9:18 a.m.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you about Birdo's gender, you're reasoning for your opinion is really incredibly dumb. It would be kinda like saying 'Well Superman can't fly because he couldn't in the original comic. Deal with it.' or (if you want an example a bit more related to the Mario series) 'Well Mario isn't a plumber because in the original Donkey Kong game he was a carpenter. Deal with it.'
  • CitizenWolfie - March 23, 2012 2:54 a.m.

Ugh, Raiden? Just no. Travis Touchdown would be pretty cool but how about Jack from MadWorld too? Good picks on Knuckles, King Hippo and Tom Nook as well. I'd also like to see Dixie Kong and an 8-bit Donkey Kong as a joke character. I'd really love to see Demise on the Zelda side of the roster. I recently finished Skyward Sword and I thought that last battle was incredible. Sure Ghirahim could be in it as well but he's too "campy Sephiroth villain" for my liking.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 23, 2012 2:55 a.m.

Oh, and if it doesn't have the Legend of Groose in it, I'm starting a riot.
  • Vordhosbn - March 23, 2012 1:57 a.m.

Said it before, will say it again - Plok. All the power-ups he had would go perfect for Smash Bros moves. I'll pay for the rights Nintendo, just get him, get Plok!
  • shneepsh - March 23, 2012 12:49 a.m.

Sigh, I know it's not possible because of Rare's defection to Microsoft, but any of the classic N64 Rare characters would be awesome. Banjo-Kazooie would be perfect with all of their moves with B-down being a switch between the pair, Banjo alone, and Kazooie alone with different move sets. Conker would be awesome and quirky like Wario. And Joanna Dark or one of the Jet Force team would be sort of a weird fit but still cool. Not gonna happen, but I'll keep dreaming.
  • mattdark - March 22, 2012 11:40 p.m.

I agree that there are too many cut-and-paste characters, and/or one-trick ponies on this list. I dont see much point to the various forms of Mario. There are too many clone characters in the game as it is already, so we dont need more of them wasting space. The Tanooki suit would work better as a powerup. Similar to the bunny ears, but rather then increasing your speed, it would let you have floatier jumps, much like peach. Could give you a surprise element on your opponenets by holding the jump button just before you come into the range of their attack before stomping down on their heads.
  • MrGatsby - March 22, 2012 11:33 p.m.

What about Sora? With a new Kingdom Hearts arriving this year, it'd be brilliant. If they're going for a square Enix cross over they should make it Sora.
  • Person5 - March 22, 2012 10:09 p.m.

Before I get into my comment I feel I need to say that Birdo is indeed a man, not a woman, just to clarify. Second I feel like a lot of these wouldn't make good SSB characters...at all, they may be great characters but they just wouldn't work, as well as will never happen. Tanooki Mario wouldn't go in for the same reason Dr. Mario wasn't in Brawl, we don't need more Sonic characters, and a Mii? there are a few good picks here but for the most part I disagree with these (sorry I'm usually not so negative but I just couldn't get behind these picks) Also all the people saying Geno, yes he would be awesome, we all want Geno, but he belongs to Square Enix, you really think they'd let Nintendo use his likeness anymore?
  • Dmancapri - March 23, 2012 3:53 a.m.

Actually the Mii is very likely, it has been on almost every Mario Wii game. It was explained in the article why each of the characters wouldn't be clones, and while King Hippo and Tom Nook wouldn't work, I really would like to play with wolf link/midna or the Mii, to name a few of the good characters on this list.
  • launcelot111 - March 22, 2012 9:42 p.m.

Surprised I haven't seen this yet, but Ridley. For ever and ever Ridley. I'd love to see a Golden Sun person. It probably would be Isaac or Matthew by default, but I'd rather have Sveta or Piers Furthermore, I'd love some Marina Lightyears, some Banjo/Kazooie, and how about for a real stretch, instead of another Pokemon trainer, let's go for the guy from Devil Survivor summoning a team of demons, like say Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and Black Frost (carefully selected to avoid the vast collection of possibly offensive demons, although the outcry against playable Satan and Lucifer would be great)
  • IceBlueKirby - March 22, 2012 9:42 p.m.

I just want Geno from Super Mario RPG...or hell, I'd even take Mallow at this point. Mega Man would be pretty cool though.
  • HankVenture - March 22, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Good list, some characters I wasn't familiar with but seem like they would play pretty well in the game. someone I would throw into the list is a Character from Custom Robo like Ray Mk3 or w/e it's name is.... and if I can just go off the tracks with that I say just make custom Robo models of Gundam fighters. :D
  • kevinmlssu - March 22, 2012 8:52 p.m.

Needs Geno from Mario RPG
  • AlbVega - March 22, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Great list, but it needs more Viewtiful Joe and Leon Kennedy.
  • kit07 - March 22, 2012 8:18 p.m.

phoenix wright perhaps? professor layton? that guy from Ghost Trick? the rider for NES Excite Bike? the paperboy from paperboy? toe jam and earl? those are my suggestions.
  • Fuzunga - March 22, 2012 8:12 p.m.

No, actually, Dark Pit was first in Brawl as an alternate color for Pit. I'm absolutely 100% convinced that the character in Uprising was a result of that.
  • TyeTheCzar - March 22, 2012 7:50 p.m.

Umm... I think there's an elephant in the room, GR! In case you forgot, protagonist Shulk from Xenoblade. His Monado would open up a thousand possibilities for his moveset. And don't get me started on what his Final Smash could be. As a bonus, one or two of his allies from the game would be awesome, especially Reyn, Dunban or Riki.
  • obviouslyadouche - March 22, 2012 7:44 p.m.

Cool article, buuuuuuuuuuuut you overlooked neku from wewy and he would fit in perfectly since he has only been on nintendo systems and will be in the new kingdom hearts.
  • BladedFalcon - March 22, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Neku's an awesome idea, actually. Or.. y'know... Sho Minamimoto...