• supaMcnugget - January 31, 2014 4:58 p.m.

You know, I think this is sort of a "meh" announcement for me. On one hand, I enjoyed playing as Lucario in Brawl and thought he was a fun character. In that sense, I'm sort of pleasantly surprised. However, if Lucario is included at the expense of someone more deserving and requested by fans like Mewtwo then I will be very, VERY disappointed.
  • MrKart - February 1, 2014 5:07 p.m.

Mewtwo is not more requested by the fans. You don't speak for the whole community--Smash fans have overwhelmingly wanted Lucario over Mewtwo, who was useless in Melee. Everyone who complains about Lucario being a "casual player character" has absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
  • supaMcnugget - February 1, 2014 5:28 p.m.

That's why I stated that it was a "meh" announcement for me, personally. I never said I spoke for any particular community. Nevertheless, I still like Lucario. Thankfully it sounds like Sakurai is making him stand out even further by augmenting his aura feature. Still, I liked Mewtwo from Melee and would like him back. Since Lucario and Mewtwo are similar I figured one would be included at the expense of the other. We'll have to wait and see, but maybe that won't be an issue for some fans (such as myself).
  • codystovall - February 1, 2014 5:31 p.m.

Smash fan here, Lucario blows, not a good design, dont even care for him in the pokemon game, most people only know him because nintendo/game freak whored him out in marketing.
  • supaMcnugget - January 31, 2014 4:54 p.m.

You know, I think this is sort of a "meh" announcement for me. On one hand, I enjoyed playing as Lucario in Brawl and thought he was a fun character. In that sense, I'm pleasantly surprised. However, if Lucario is included at the expense of Mewtwo then I will be very, very disappointed.
  • g1rldraco7 - January 31, 2014 3:03 p.m.

I knew he was coming back, makes me happy wooooo!!!
  • slimjim441 - January 31, 2014 10:04 a.m.

Goddamn motherfucking Lucario. I'm incredibly disappointed with that decision.
  • GameManiac - January 31, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Awesome! I can cross off Lucario returning to Super Smash Bros. off of my wish list. He was my best and favorite character in Brawl. Now if they can only bring in Mewtwo, as well as add both Krystal and Zoroark as newcomers.
  • winner2 - January 31, 2014 8:19 a.m.

Fuckin lucario, seriously? Of all pokemon they chose that thing
  • Frieza - January 31, 2014 7:53 a.m.

Lucario? The character that rewards you for being bad at the game? How disappointing. This could mean two things: 1. Mewtwo will not be returning. Lucario replaced Mewtwo in Brawl, and considering Lucario has a Mega Evolution he may fill the spot for "Pokemon with Mega as Final Smash" spot in the roster. 2. SSB will yet again be aimed towards more casual players. This is a quite a shame since the faster playstyle of Melee was what really made the game for me and many other players. Brawl was much too floaty and slow to give my friends and I the same feeling of intensity that we got from Melee. I don't mean to be all doom and gloom over one character, but I really want this game to be better than Brawl.
  • Cyberninja - January 31, 2014 8:13 a.m.

I can't really agree with the statement with Melee is better than Brawl, both are fun which is undeniable, but the fact that melee being more competeive ruins the charm a bit, it simple isn't as fun as a party game since you can get people really really hardcore about it which ruins the fun, seriously party games are fun because they are more casual, when I want a competitive fighter I go out and play one like Blazblue.
  • Frieza - January 31, 2014 10:12 a.m.

I beg to differ. I actually had a lot more fun playing Melee casually than I ever did Brawl. Melee had a healthier balance of casual/party and competitive gameplay. The fighting system was simple and easy to understand, and there were a plethora of fun items and stages for you to play around with. It was a game where anyone could jump in and play and have tons of fun. But the game could also be used competitively thanks to how it was designed. The physics were heavy but fast, and there were many advanced mechanics and strategies that made competitive play a blast. I'll go so far as to say Brawl was worse on both sides of the spectrum when compared to Melee. The items got more powerful and often earned a player a few cheap kills. The levels had more hazards in them which, while sounds good on paper, led to more cheap kills. And I don't need to explain why tripping was bad. Those mechanics gave me more feelings of annoyance than entertainment. And it didn't help that the game became floaty and slow, making serious matches less about skill with your hands and quick thinking and more about... I don't know, NOT those things. But I guess it just comes down to taste I guess. You probably see something in Brawl that I don't see. I'm just saying from my experience, Melee was the more enjoyable game to play. BTW, I'm not asking for SSB to be a super serious competitive fighter like Street Fighter and the like. I just want the game to be more like Melee than Brawl.
  • Vonter - January 31, 2014 7:41 p.m.

It is planned to be something in the middle. Stages look with less hazards (so far), and it seems characters will have more balanced attributes (one complain of Melee is how OP some character were). But yeah it seems to be the main focus to tweak the gameplay more than padding it with content.
  • UberPyro64 - January 31, 2014 8:34 a.m.

It means neither. It just means Sakurai knows fans hate cuts so he's making sure there are none.
  • Frieza - January 31, 2014 11:16 a.m.

That didn't stop him from cutting characters from Brawl.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 12:08 p.m.

I think "replaced" is better words. Frankly there hasnt been a character, or better to say, moveset that was entirely cut. In some form or another they returned, Mewtwo being the only case as he and Lucario have different moves entirely but their B moves are pretty similar and are altered. it frankly makes things more interesting to to think how possibly cut characters from new smash will be brought in a newcomer, more specifically Snake's moveset.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 8:48 a.m.

You do know Sakurai has been constantly updating with Balancing in the game. De said that he put an emphasis on Lucario's Aura ability, thats his playstyle which more or less, like it or hate it, is unique. If were talking balance here, Lucario will most likely be seriously nerfed until he gets damaged. Your also wrong with number 2. Sakurai already openly admitted that Brawl was aimed more to bring newcomers (as can see by the fact that the game started development without him) but the new smash bros is meant to bring the balance of Brawl and Melee. So far the game's already faster than Brawl and that was just E3. You need to relax because everyones is unnessessarily eyeballing Smash too much over their Melee Fiasco. Tripping's been confirmed removed since E3, that shouldve already been a good indication.
  • Frieza - January 31, 2014 11:14 a.m.

But there are better ways to go about balancing Lucario's ability. The whole "you get stronger as you take damage" idea is really unappealing in both casual and competitive play, at least to me. It feels more like a crutch than an interesting playstyle. And besides, there are better ways of going about the aura ability. Maybe Lucario can get stronger as he hits the opponent, which encourages chain attacks and skillful dodging. The balance of "Brawl and Melee" can still mean the game is aimed more towards casual gamers. Like I said in another reply, Melee had a healthy balance of casual and competitive gameplay. It was simple enough for anyone to jump in and have a good time, but also had enough features in the gameplay to appeal to people who want a more competitive experience. And like you said, Brawl was aimed towards beginners (which is incredibly stupid, since Melee wasn't hard to get into at all). So if you average them out... Well, let's just say I'm not getting my hopes too high for this game. I'm not saying it will be bad, but not really what I wanted. And the removal of tripping isn't really a sign of anything. We can all agree that tripping was the worst part of Brawl, and that its inclusion was an amazingly stupid idea. It was a no brainer that it needed to be removed, so I wouldn't say its a sign that the game will be amazing. But I will say I'm happy it's gone.
  • shawksta - January 31, 2014 12:02 p.m.

Lucario's ability is more or less the concept of a Risk/Reward character, sure there are better ways to balance it but thats the type of character he is. Maybe we'll see some changes. We'll have to wait and see. You cant really expect a full on copy and paste of Melee, it has its problems, small compared to Brawl's massive ones, but nonetheless it has. In my personal opinion, Brawl, despite its floatiness, had better air control and your recovery moves were useful. I think Sakurai's plan to make each game flow differently, taking Brawl and Melee's different physics and incorporating them together to make an entirely different beast. I cant get back to Melee without feeling too heavy, even for a small character like Pichu, the same can be said for Melee players going to Brawl and feeling too floaty. I think the intention for new smash is for a balance that both playerbases can ease into and transition well. Frankly i find the new spin on the Edge grabbing really interesting for competitive play.
  • NintendoDragon - February 2, 2014 2:57 a.m.

The games already been confirmed as faster than brawl. Also Mewtwo was supposed to be in Brawl they just did not have enough time to put him into the game, so the possibility of him being in is extremely high.