• Person5 - March 22, 2012 10:09 p.m.

Before I get into my comment I feel I need to say that Birdo is indeed a man, not a woman, just to clarify. Second I feel like a lot of these wouldn't make good SSB characters...at all, they may be great characters but they just wouldn't work, as well as will never happen. Tanooki Mario wouldn't go in for the same reason Dr. Mario wasn't in Brawl, we don't need more Sonic characters, and a Mii? there are a few good picks here but for the most part I disagree with these (sorry I'm usually not so negative but I just couldn't get behind these picks) Also all the people saying Geno, yes he would be awesome, we all want Geno, but he belongs to Square Enix, you really think they'd let Nintendo use his likeness anymore?
  • Dmancapri - March 23, 2012 3:53 a.m.

Actually the Mii is very likely, it has been on almost every Mario Wii game. It was explained in the article why each of the characters wouldn't be clones, and while King Hippo and Tom Nook wouldn't work, I really would like to play with wolf link/midna or the Mii, to name a few of the good characters on this list.
  • MrGatsby - March 22, 2012 11:33 p.m.

What about Sora? With a new Kingdom Hearts arriving this year, it'd be brilliant. If they're going for a square Enix cross over they should make it Sora.
  • mattdark - March 22, 2012 11:40 p.m.

I agree that there are too many cut-and-paste characters, and/or one-trick ponies on this list. I dont see much point to the various forms of Mario. There are too many clone characters in the game as it is already, so we dont need more of them wasting space. The Tanooki suit would work better as a powerup. Similar to the bunny ears, but rather then increasing your speed, it would let you have floatier jumps, much like peach. Could give you a surprise element on your opponenets by holding the jump button just before you come into the range of their attack before stomping down on their heads.
  • shneepsh - March 23, 2012 12:49 a.m.

Sigh, I know it's not possible because of Rare's defection to Microsoft, but any of the classic N64 Rare characters would be awesome. Banjo-Kazooie would be perfect with all of their moves with B-down being a switch between the pair, Banjo alone, and Kazooie alone with different move sets. Conker would be awesome and quirky like Wario. And Joanna Dark or one of the Jet Force team would be sort of a weird fit but still cool. Not gonna happen, but I'll keep dreaming.
  • Vordhosbn - March 23, 2012 1:57 a.m.

Said it before, will say it again - Plok. All the power-ups he had would go perfect for Smash Bros moves. I'll pay for the rights Nintendo, just get him, get Plok!
  • CitizenWolfie - March 23, 2012 2:54 a.m.

Ugh, Raiden? Just no. Travis Touchdown would be pretty cool but how about Jack from MadWorld too? Good picks on Knuckles, King Hippo and Tom Nook as well. I'd also like to see Dixie Kong and an 8-bit Donkey Kong as a joke character. I'd really love to see Demise on the Zelda side of the roster. I recently finished Skyward Sword and I thought that last battle was incredible. Sure Ghirahim could be in it as well but he's too "campy Sephiroth villain" for my liking.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 23, 2012 2:55 a.m.

Oh, and if it doesn't have the Legend of Groose in it, I'm starting a riot.
  • jmcgrotty - March 23, 2012 3:33 a.m.

First, as others have said, Birdo is a male. Was in the original instruction book, so it will always be the case. Deal with it. Secondly, and more relevant, this article had one very, very important result: It's time to end all of the Smash Bros garbage. There are already too many characters and there are only 4 1/2 characters in this list that deserve to be included ever as well. The other nearly-twenty? It's embarrassing you even bothered to list them. That's not to even mention that exactly only 17 characters from Super Smash Bros Brawl should have been included in the first place. Utterly pathetic. But, all you did was point out how much of a failure this series has become.
  • Cyberninja - March 23, 2012 3:43 a.m.

so why is it a problem that a cross over game has a lot of characters? you say that only 17 characters from brawl should have been included in the first place, why most characters in brawl except maybe 5 were unique from everyone else, MvC 2 and 3 are both crossover games with huge rosters so I see no problem or how the series is a failure.
  • jackthekingsmit - March 25, 2012 9:18 a.m.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you about Birdo's gender, you're reasoning for your opinion is really incredibly dumb. It would be kinda like saying 'Well Superman can't fly because he couldn't in the original comic. Deal with it.' or (if you want an example a bit more related to the Mario series) 'Well Mario isn't a plumber because in the original Donkey Kong game he was a carpenter. Deal with it.'
  • Dmancapri - March 23, 2012 3:42 a.m.

I think Steve, the default Minecraft character would be a good choice, what with the various weapons he could use- sword, creeper egg as a timed bomb, maybe a block-laying physic, final smash- the Nether or nighttime, like pikmin. Also, they could replace pokemon trainer with N, the enemy of pokemon black/white.
  • Cyberninja - March 23, 2012 3:58 a.m.

I'll clarify the birdo issue just the first game had birdo as a male, and it was a specific birdo name Cathrine and that was in SMB2, afterward Nintendo has referred to birdo as female starting with Mario Tennis, so officially birdo is female from now on, unless Nintendo offically states that non Cathrine birdo's are male.
  • Cyberninja - March 23, 2012 4:03 a.m.

one last thing is that if someone wants to use the defense "SMB2 was the first game to have birdo so she will be a male forever." you have to remember it was a dream, which is why they have the ability to turn a male in a dream into a female in reality
  • WTeen8 - March 23, 2012 6:26 a.m.

Also you can argue that it is an entire species of birdos so half are male, and half are female. Also Captain Rainbow.
  • lilmarkd96 - March 23, 2012 4:03 a.m.

no shadow??. and i know this is a LONGSHOT but how bout kid goku
  • Nap1400 - March 23, 2012 4:27 a.m.

Travis Touchdown is all I need. Also you guys left out a key detail pretty much securing his possibility as a character: Suda51 himself has stated he would like to see Travis Touchdown in SSB. The minute he said that fans of the series would hound both him and probably Sakurai to include him. I'd say he's a shoo-in at this point.
  • samsneeze - March 23, 2012 4:55 a.m.

A Dragon Quest character would make me happy. I'd very much prefer it was the hero from DQV, though it's more likely it'll be Erdrick or Roto/Loto. I've been saying the series needed a Golden Sun character for the longest time now. The things they could do with the summons and psynergy would astounding. Beyond that, I can't think of any other characters that I'd actually want in Super Smash Bros.. I just don't feel that strongly about the series.
  • Hiruandan - March 23, 2012 6:37 a.m.

Less clone characters and more third party glory. Amaterasu, Professor Layton, Phoenix wright, Megaman and maybe even paintbrush mickey from epic mickey. also, BRING BACK MY ROY ALREADY! *fangirlrage*
  • metroid2099400 - March 23, 2012 6:45 a.m.

I'd love to see a Pokemon-Trainer view of Link from Majora's Mask. Transforming between the Goron, Deku and Zora Links would be awesome, and really break up an otherwise standard character. Final smash would, of course, be Fierce Deity. I'd also like to see more characters from the Metroid series. I know we had Zero-Suit Samus in Brawl, but a Space Pirate with his laser sickle from Prime or a Federation Trooper from Prime II?