• GamesRadarCollanderCooper - September 3, 2013 4:36 p.m.

If it has a quality display and the price is right, I'm definitely interested. I know a lot of people probably didn't utilize the feature, but I also wish Sony would keep making 3D games. Shadow of the Colossus in 3D was incredible.
  • JarkayColt - September 3, 2013 12:27 p.m.

I know this is slightly off topic, but has there been any research suggesting that VR headsets or any sort of HMD won't completely screw over your eyes? Because people are already getting into a tizzy over 3D. Imagine having these things readily available at the point that they're compatible with almost every game genre...I dunno, they might get marred by health warnings and stuff and never take off. There's something about the idea of a VR headset that I don't like anyway, so...I'm not too interested.
  • Redeater - September 3, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Considering the "uproar" over cell phones and their link (however minor) to cancerous brain tumors.....I wouldn't expect drastic action (or even any action) to taken. Annoying health warnings at best.
  • MidianGTX - September 3, 2013 5:14 p.m.

When you halt technological progress because of unproven science, civilization is in trouble.
  • C.King - September 3, 2013 12:09 p.m.

what was wrong with the vitality censor? seemed really cool to me, not like it would be for every game anyway
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - September 3, 2013 11:41 a.m.

Come on now, Sony...you're having a pretty good run of it right now. Don't start thinking too highly of yourself, though. Remember what happened last time?
  • Redeater - September 3, 2013 11:03 a.m.

Considering John Carmack is now the tech director of Oculus Rift, this is going to be like Sony entering a box car racer into.........I can't even finish that. Just give up now and license the OR for the PS4 when it is released. You will save millions of dollars in development and manufacturing just to release an inferior product. Carmack may be lacking in creativity and scope (though I thought Rage was alright) but the man is one of the most brilliant in the world of tech.
  • BladedFalcon - September 3, 2013 10:54 a.m.

The lengths Sony is going to to future-proof it's console and cover all their bases is getting ridiculous. And I'm worrying that it's gonna blow up in their face because they are chewing on everything and anything, without really commiting... So it's very likely that most of it could end up being half-assed. First it was the PS4 camera to compete with kinect, then it was the playroom to compete with illumiroom, then it was the PS4/PSVita streaming to compete with the Wii U Pad, then it's motion sensors and touchpad in their controllers to also cover those bases, then it's voice commands to further compete against kinect, and now this, which is clearly an answer for the Oculus Rift in case it succeeds... But again, none of those things I've mentioned feel fleshed out, and either they don't end up using them much (and thus wasting a lot of money on it.) or if they do, it won't be up to snuff with the competition. This for example, I have a hard time believing that it could ever be better, or even match the Oculus rift considering how long in development and fine tuning the OR has been trough. SO if it's gonna be sub-par, why even bother? That, and on a personal level, I don't care for any of this supplemental shit anyway, so I wish they just would stop and just focus on getting more good games on their console.
  • C.King - September 3, 2013 11:41 a.m.

so i'm not wrong? they really are copying EVERYONE?
  • BladedFalcon - September 3, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Pretty much, yeah.
  • Eightboll812 - September 3, 2013 1:10 p.m.

In all fairness, everyone pretty much copies everyone else. 90% of the stuff people think Apple invented were in fact invented elsewhere and commercialized by Apple, and in all fairness put in a very nice, attractive package. Like the GUI...came from Xerox, but people think Apple invented it. Anyway, yeah, it does appear they are simply copying every gaming tech out there that might have some legs and making a PS3 version of it.
  • BladedFalcon - September 3, 2013 11:22 p.m.

Just to clarify, I don't think that copying is in any way wrong. And as such, I don't think any less of Sony, or any other company of doing so. As long as it's done in a way that ends up benefiting the consumer, that is.
  • MidianGTX - September 3, 2013 5:15 p.m.

Ever heard of technological advance? Y'see, this dude discovered electricity, and now EVERYONE is using it. Another created the television... shit is everywhere! Don't even get me started on the wheel.
  • Eightboll812 - September 3, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Yup, but at least it's all gaming related. I'm not predicting VR is anywhere close to being commercially "acceptable" so it's probably like you describe...a waste of investment that could be better used elsewhere. But unless the OR is going to be offered to run on PS4, then I can at least see why they would be interested in developing their own, even if it is not as good. In the grand scheme of things, a new Kinect falls just a tiny bit lower than VR tech for me personally. I don't need a new tech to throw out my shoulder, but VR would at least be something new for the console, and so I might try it and then give it up like motion controls.
  • BladedFalcon - September 3, 2013 1:54 p.m.

It'd be wiser to just not try at all, if you ask me... I mean, we don't even KNOW if the OR will properly work just yet, but we already know that the tech and minds behind the OR is beyond and above anything Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo can dish out, so if they can't make the OR work, it's very likely that whatever Sony comes up with won't either. So again, waste of time It's like when Nintendo announced the motion controls for Wii, and soon later Sony Announced the Sixaxis functionality for the PS3 controller. it was half assed, everyone hated it and forgot about it within a year or less, and now no one uses it except for Sony's exclusives and even them use it only for the most inane things like shaking it to recharge a flashlight and that's it. In other words, the Sixaxis was a waste of everybody's time, and Sony would have been better off never even bothering. Same with the Move, really.
  • Eightboll812 - September 3, 2013 3:59 p.m.

I agree. My only point here is that when comparing a waste of resources from Sony and MS, Sony is wasting it on a non-essential peripheral, and MS is wasting it on something that is completely "integral" and cannot be removed. And the item that Sony is wasting it on is at least a "new" novelty, whereas MS is doubling down on a failed, old novelty, that I already know I have no interest in. At least with Sony, I could be pleasantly surprised about something that I've formed a preconceived bias against, whereas with MS, I can't be pleasantly surprised about motion controls which I already *know* I hate. So in the grand scheme of things, there's a tiny silver lining for Sony here, one is slightly lesser of a waste, because there's a possible upside even though improbable. I'd rather see both move on from their respective wastes of resources, but I'm not in control, so I can only grade the two relative to each other.
  • JonTheGod - September 4, 2013 5:32 a.m.

Playroom is NOTHING like Illumiroom - apart from having "room" in its name. Playroom is akin to the old Eyetoy Play software; it's just some software that lets you play around with experimental little bits of fun to show off the new controls or tech - whereas Illumiroom is a piece of hardware that projects images onto the walls of the room in which you are sitting to expand on the immersion from what you see on the TV screen. Please explain how one would compete with the other.
  • BladedFalcon - September 4, 2013 7:46 a.m.

...Both are gimmicky and ultimately will be useless? But you're right, they aren't that much alike, and I went for the comparison basically because the names made it easy ^^;
  • thinkerluchho - September 3, 2013 10:26 a.m.

it better be good
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 3, 2013 10:19 a.m.

It's probably safest to make this an added feature rather than a primary one, but if it works as well as the Oculus Rift apparently does and is supported by most if not all games, then I'll almost definitely be in for this.