We Recommend

• talleyXIV - February 21, 2013 12:26 p.m.

No one has mentioned that this a huge copy of the Wii U? I mean honestly, another screen on a controller? I know it is smaller and is only a touchpad but still... Sony isn't exactly nonchalant when copying ideas. I.E. Move controllers looking exactly the same as a Wiimote and Nunchuk.
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2013 1:35 p.m.

You mean the same way Nintendo made an even more blatant copy of the 360 controller when they released their Wii U Pro Controller? At the very least Sony has kept the core design of it's own controller as the main basis and shape for the controller, Nintendo straight up copied the shape from a competitor, and just made a very awkward switch of the positions of buttons and sticks. Everyone in the industry is always ripping each other off. Ultimately, doesn't matter who implements an idea first, but who implements it better.
  • Arobadope - February 24, 2013 9:50 p.m.

Also, it isn't really that awkward to switch between though that's personal preference and I suppose how quickly you can adapt to a new control layout.
  • BladedFalcon - February 25, 2013 7:59 a.m.

I mentioned that mainly to highlight what is pretty much the only difference between the two controllers. And it's awkward because it's a change they made clearly not because they felt it was necessary, or would make controlling easier, but because doing so would avoid them getting sued by Microsoft :P
  • talleyXIV - March 6, 2013 2:18 p.m.

Wii U Pro Controller isn't even the main controller, please try to tell me the Gamepad looks like any other console controller. You can argue that it advances tech because they are always trying to make it better than each other. But what would advance tech even more is if people came up with original ideas.
  • wadesmit - February 21, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Unified hardware traits makes the generation better for everyone.
  • CrashmanX - February 24, 2013 9:53 a.m.

"It has a touch pad and the Wii U has a giant touch screen. MUST BE A RIP OFF!" Actually, the PSV had Touch Pads before the Wii U. Yea Sony bummed the Touch Screen idea of cell phones and the like (Could say DS/3DS but they didn't sell as well as the phone game market that Sony wants a chunk of). Technically can't we just say that everyone bummed ideas off each other and modified them? I mean hell Windows OS was bummed off Mac. Guess Mac is the only real original anymore.
  • Arobadope - February 24, 2013 9:51 p.m.

Touchscreens were more or less stolen from Palmpilots, you must be pretty young if you don't remember that :p
  • CrashmanX - February 25, 2013 midnight

Oh no I do. I remember their little LCD screens with no backlights, tiny low quality, and the lil stylus. Those things were neat but sometimes a bitch to them to work right.
  • raidramon0 - February 21, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Anyone noticed that the controller doesn't have START & SELECT buttons?
  • wadesmit - February 21, 2013 11:17 p.m.

This is really bothering me. Maybe the touchpad will somehow assume their functions?
  • brickman409 - February 22, 2013 8:11 p.m.

the option button will take the place of start and select
  • zelta38 - February 23, 2013 1:56 p.m.

I just hope there is an option (no pun intended) to set the share button to select or something, even though select sometimes does not have a critical function, that Satchel button in Red Dead Redemption disagrees sufficiently for it to matter!
  • GunsForShow - February 21, 2013 6:47 a.m.

I haven't seen if anyone's mentioned this before but, are the buttons pressure sensitive? I remember the DualShock 2 had analogue buttons which could tell how hard they were being pressed but it seemed that the DualShock 3 controllers didn't.
  • cricket0 - February 21, 2013 11:09 a.m.

You are correct, Dualshock 3 isnt pressure sensitive. Which stinks, cause those are awesome for racing games, or for jumping higher in platformers. Hopefully they bring it back
  • GR_LucasSullivan - February 21, 2013 2:40 p.m.

In the press release we saw yesterday, there's sadly no mention of pressure sensitivity with the controller :{ It's a shame, because I also liked that feature. Made jamming on the gas in racing games feel intense.
  • MrSpoiler17 - February 21, 2013 4:19 a.m.

I'm really liking the new controller. 3 things that I would change is to keep the START and SELECT buttons, make the R2 and L2 curve out more, and what MisterFish said about how the controller rests on the triggers. Regardless, it looks badass IMO.
  • TheMariner - February 20, 2013 10:22 p.m.

Huh, so they actually redesigned the Dualshock. Now I officially have nothing to complain about when it comes to Sony hardware. Well done, sirs.
  • SupermanRips - February 20, 2013 10:01 p.m.

if they are giving you a headset with your ps4 why would they put a mic in the controller? c'mon son!
  • SnakeinmyBoot - February 22, 2013 1:11 p.m.

So you can lose it and buy a $20 replacement.
  • garnsr - February 20, 2013 9:31 p.m.

Looks nifty, just imagine how much it must cost, seeing how the less-advanced ones we have now are mighty expensive already. I hope the tops of the new sticks don't get that weird melting-gummy-scum stuff over time that we've had since at least PS2, which tells you it's time to buy a new controller. And start and select are the best choices for buttons, everything else just ends up performing the same functions. Does back ever mean back any more? Will the position for the map button, which should be select, be shown on screen, so I know where it is on the touch pad? Will there be context-sensitive "buttons" on the touch screen, for pause and everything we've used for 30 years?
  • MisterFish - February 20, 2013 9:27 p.m.

I don't like how the controller rests on the triggers. It looks like it will cause unnecessary strain on the triggers. Why not rest the controller on a part that's not a vital component, such as the case? This is either a big oversight on sony's part, or planned obsolescence.