Topics

video

• JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 5:09 a.m.

Coop, you wasn't actually chaining. You kept breaking it by moving someplace else. When the Poké Radar music stops, that's it, it's broken. That grass patch is actually TOO big, so you still want to remain in the same general area. Mind if I splurge everything I know about it? The Poké Radar in X and Y works identically to the Poké Radar in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. To carry on the chain, the patch must be the same TYPE and the max DISTANCE from the origin point. The max distance is a patch that appears in the fourth "ring" of tiles around your character, and so is a minimum of 4 spaces away and a maximum of 8 (saying 4 steps away is misleading). To verify this, walk in ONE direction first, and if you've advanced four tiles, you're in the fourth ring; the patch in that ring is okay, provided that it shakes with the same ferocity as your starting patch. Like Diamond and Pearl, the game will try and generate one patch per ring. In X and Y, it may throw in a curve ball by having an extra patch appear. However, the extra patch is NEVER IN THE OUTER RING, so as long as you follow the rules, it can never dupe you. In my experience, entering a patch at the edge of the area of grass is incredibly likely to break your chain, so stay away from it. Going into a patch that is on the edge or shakes in a different way MAY keep the chain going, but only if all the planets happen to be aligned. You can also enter a patch next to another with no problem, provided that it meets all other criteria. In Diamond and Pearl, entering the patch in the very corner of the generated area (i.e. 8 paces away) would usually break your chain. In X and Y, this is fixed. So to summarise: - Radar generates up to 4 patches around your character, one in the first ring of tiles, one in the second etc etc. The patch won't appear if it chooses a tile outside the grassy patch, so you may not always see four. - Patch has to be in the fourth, outer ring of tiles away from your character. - Patch has to shake with the same ferocity as your starting patch. If you accidentally walk into a different patch without breaking the chain, then focus on the new type. - Radar may generate a bogus 5th patch to throw you, but it is NEVER in the outer ring. - Because of the method of generation described above, walking into an edge patch is VERY likely to break your chain as you're effectively halving or quartering the chance of the game choosing a tile in the grass patch. Keep away from the edge. - The chain will break if you stray too far. The chain will break if you run away. The chain will break if you enter a decoy patch, attempt to equip a key item other than the Radar, or equip the roller skates. It will also break if you save and reload the game. - To continue the chain, you must either faint or capture the Wild Pokémon. In my experience, Wild Pokémon caught using the Poké Radar have a very high chance of having TWO RANDOM IVs OF 31. This also goes for Shiny Pokémon, should you find one. - The likelihood of successfully maintaining a chain is also partially down to luck based on the usual encounter rate for that Pokémon. Pokémon with a higher encounter rate are much easier to chain than a rarer Pokémon. This is why Swarming Pokémon in DPPt were popular targets. - This may be down to my bad luck, but in X and Y, it appears that you may only be able to catch ONE SHINY PER CHAIN. When chaining Skiddo,after I'd reached 40 I found 3 Shiny Patches in fairly quick succession. The first appeared behind another patch, but I walked into the one in front without breaking the chain. The second appeared on an edge, so I reset the Radar. After I'd found and entered the third, I saw no more for another hour. I tried again with a new, seperate chain to verify, and after I caught the Shiny Skiddo, yet again did I not find any more after an hour's resetting. I'll be trying again, but I think this is fairly conclusive unless anybody wants to argue with it, because I found tonnes of Ponyta in DPPt in about 30 mins through constant resetting, so in this manner, the Radar is NOT like the one from DPPt. However, again, I think the fact it gives to random 31s is supposed to make up for it. - When in doubt RESEEEEEEET!!! Another tip: use Super Repels instead of Max Repels, because, y'know, they're cheaper per step. And like Coop says, take a Pokémon with a lot of PP and use the depleted PP to count how many Pokémon you've chained. It is therefore best if the moves have 100 accuracy to avoid messing your numbers up if it misses. Also I still don't have any idea what the "urgent", fast-paced music is that sometimes kicks in. Only came across it twice and none of the patches were viable so I just reset. Kinda weird. Oh wow, I've nearly hit the character limit. So I'll just say that I put one of those Shiny Skiddo on Wonder Trade for kicks, haha. No idea what the guy receiving it thought XD probably went straight on the GTS for all I know.
  • JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 5:15 a.m.

I should add that I was chaining in the purple flower patch on Route 5. Not the misshapen one under the roller skate rails, but the one further down to the right of the running Backpacker. That's a good patch to practice in I think. I also tend to reset my Radar whilst standing in one of the corners, 4th tile horizontally and 4th tile vertically from the edge, if possible. This makes the patch in the outer ring easier to discern if it appears.
  • JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 5:49 a.m.

God, I forgot the most important thing. In X and Y, the graphic for a Shiny Patch isn't as discernible as the DPPt version, which pulses for a prolonged amount of time with bright colours. Instead, it briefly sparkles with white stars. Instead of just looking for the visual, there is now an audible "PLING!" sound to better alert you to its presence. So, I guess you want to be listening for it more than you are looking for it.
  • GR HollanderCooper - October 30, 2013 10:12 a.m.

I know, I screwed up by moving too far away--I noticed it afterwards.
  • JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 10:43 a.m.

You can redeem yourself if you find out what the deal with the alternative fast-paced music is! It even happened in your video. You ran into a Ditto but there didn't seem to be anything special about it; if it'd had its Hidden Ability, it would've automatically turned into your Gengar, so it can't be that. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? XD
  • LEGOMatrix - October 30, 2013 3:48 a.m.

I'm pretty sure you can't leave the grass either. Hollander stepped out of it a couple of times just before breaking the chain.
  • JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 5:42 a.m.

You can leave the grass without breaking the chain, so if you accidentally step out whilst recharging, it's fine. However the chain breaks if you stray too far away, which is what Coop was doing; it doesn't matter whether you're still in the grass or not. You can walk about one screen away before it breaks.
  • JinHalloway - October 29, 2013 9:12 p.m.

This guide isn't completely accurate. While those techniques do help in chaining, what matters is how the bush is shaking. You want a bush that shakes the same way each time. For instance, if you start off walking into a fast shaking bush, you need to only choose bushes that shake fast from then on. But if you start off in a normal shaking bush, you only want to choose bushes that shake normally, not the fastest ones, otherwise your chain will break. Bushes next to you or along the edge don't matter. The reason you don't want to choose those is because it's harder to tell whether or not they're shaking properly, not because they will break your chain. I've managed fairly large chains using this rule. I've walked into edge bushes, bushes next to me, bushes next to other shaking bushes, and so on. As long as you avoid bushes that didn't shake like the first one and the ones barely shaking at all, your chain will continue.
  • JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 5:32 a.m.

You're right about having to match the type of bushes but I highly, highly recommend you still do not enter patches right on the edge. They pretty much always break my chains. By doing so you are severely decreasing the likelihood of the game choosing tiles that are actually in the grassy patch to shake. If you're standing along the side, the chance is just over 50% and if you're in the corner it's more like 25%. But it feels like even less than that. I can't count how many times I kicked myself for entering an edge patch in DPPt and the same goes here. This also applies to Shiny Patches as well, although I don't think it matters so much now because I can only seem to find one per chain anyway.
  • Shinn - October 29, 2013 8:31 p.m.

I hatched a shiny Dratini with near perfect ivs and an adamant nature. He's now a fully grown green Dragonite. Needless to say I was very happy that he had competitive stats through sheer luck.
  • J-Fid - October 29, 2013 6:57 p.m.

This doesn't answer my biggest question! What is the meaning behind the fast paced music that plays every so often during chains? If it behaves like the 4th Gen. version, it should cap off at 40 giving you a 1/200 chance. At that point, you can just reset the chain until you find your shines. That's how I got my 3 Shiny Absol in Diamond (would have had more but the 3rd one took all of my PokeBalls to catch. Caught it with my very last ball, which was a Timer Ball). Regardless, it's hard, that's the only time I've ever gotten a chain to 40.
  • JarkayColt - October 30, 2013 5:25 a.m.

I've just tried to run down the entire thing above, but essentially it works identically to DPPt EXCEPT I currently believe they've now capped you at one Shiny per Chain. However, along with any other Radar Pokémon caught they are incredibly likely to have two 31s. Dunno whether that makes up for it. But I have no idea what the fast paced music is about either. It seems to be entirely random with no discernable purpose. Maybe the Pokémon discovered during that moment has its Hidden Ability or something? Just a punt. I haven't actually entered a patch when that's happened.
  • J-Fid - October 30, 2013 6:13 a.m.

If it is a Hidden Ability, I'd never know. I always KO, not catch, everything I find.
  • Doctalen - October 29, 2013 6:04 p.m.

I came across a shiny protean Greninja the other day. It was drop dead sexy. Greninja and Protean aside, the shiny colors make Greninja look like a freaking black outfit ninja
  • BladedFalcon - October 29, 2013 5:57 p.m.

Man, I'm still baffled by how much work it takes to get what is nothing more than a palette swap XD Neat strategy, but I'll pass :P
  • bobob101 - October 29, 2013 5:57 p.m.

Can you post a video about catching legendary pokemon, like Articuno? Also, show off the shiny you may eventually catch.
  • Cyberninja - October 29, 2013 6:51 p.m.

you need to encounter it 11 times and then go to the sea spirits den.