Topics

Nintendo

• Defguru7777 - April 27, 2011 10:13 p.m.

The recession can't be helping the market for the 3DS. I'd like one, but I don't have any money, and the only good launch game seems to be SSFIV3D. And I'm not a Street Fighter fan. I'd love to get the Ocarina of Time remake, since I never played the original, but I'm debating waiting until they release the next 3DS, where hopefully they'll fix the battery life issue.
  • justinbanda - April 27, 2011 10:06 p.m.

Iwata's reaction is priceless. "I truly thought that the fanboys would snap these up at any price..." Seriously? So, in other words, the weak launch line-up was intentional? Wow, I'm glad I didn't pick one of these up. Yeah, the tech is cool, but it's also blurry (to me, at least; the slider on the model at Walmart was jammed at the highest setting) and none of the A-list games (except for Street Fighter, possibly) have been released yet. Oh, and maybe the $250 price tag has something to do with it? It just sounds like corporate snobbishness to me.
  • Yeager1122 - April 27, 2011 10 p.m.

Im on the fence with the 3ds i dont own a ds of any kind which is why i would get this but besides street fighter none of the 3ds games intrest me even though i would play old ones oh i just dont know.
  • XLGirthMan - April 27, 2011 9:59 p.m.

Another problem: No advertisment. I've known all about this because I'm plugged into gaming sites and news. But your Average Joe doesn't even know this exists. I've seen no media coverage of this at all (though there may have been SOME), but definitely not enough. Also, I will not be getting this until KH Dream Drop Distance comes out.
  • Andyjoe - April 27, 2011 9:52 p.m.

So they missed the number they predicted (4,000,000) by 10%. Big deal!
  • therawski - April 27, 2011 9:39 p.m.

Starting to get Virtual Boy nostalgia, really the only reason people aren't buying it is because THE STUFF THAT PEOPLE CARED ABOUT THAT WAS PROMISED TO BE AVAILABLE ON LAUNCH DATE W A S N ' T ! ! !
  • killorabbit - April 27, 2011 9:08 p.m.

They thought fanboys would snatch them up at any price? There lies the problem. We're not all made of money.
  • Bantha_Fodder - April 27, 2011 8:47 p.m.

Alrighty Nintendo, here's what I believe turned a lot of people off: 1. the DSi. I learned this firsthand (I think my shoulder buttons have gone from "sometimes work" to "do not work", thank God I finished Bowser's Inside Story...), you do NOT buy a handheld in it's very first iteration (at least get some reviews and such). whether you're willing to admit it or not, we all know that the new 3DS will come out in a year or so, having fixed all of the problems with the original. 2. The launch line up. really, all I care abot is Street Fighter. to be honest, it would have been a MUCH smarter move to release thi in the Summer. all of the really big games are coming out then (Ocarina of Time, MGS3D, etc.) and Summer is usually when the games market takes a little nap. the 3DS would have been one of the few really big things of the Summer, it would have ha a whole 1/4 of the year to itself. 3. there's also the people that just don't like 3D. from that brain-genius on CNN ("it's got worse graphics than the last handheld from Nintendo, the Game Boy.") killing some of the super-casual market to all the people who get headaches from 3D reviewing a system based around the idea of 3D. it's like asking an intelligent person to review Twilight, they already have a reason to hate it. basically, the 3DS got a bad rep due to everyone complaining about how over-saturated everything is with 3D. the next 3DS will do MUCH better, I assure you. if I have the funds (and if it's released in either Purple or Red *HINT*), I know I'll be picking one up.
  • bazz2k - April 27, 2011 8:46 p.m.

This is because it is rubbish!!
  • 510BrotherPanda - April 27, 2011 8:31 p.m.

"I truly thought that the fanboys would snap these up at any price.” Not everyone is willing to jump onto a bandwagon at the drop of a hat these days. Thanks in part to the Internet and the atmosphere of the current world economy, there are more people willing to weigh their options before settling on a choice.
  • Redeater - April 27, 2011 8:05 p.m.

Maybe because it is not a great system? I'm not trolling but weak battery, crap launch line up and 3d that will look terrible when compared to iPhones or androids a year from now.......aside from Zelda there is no reason to buy one
  • Pruman - April 27, 2011 8:02 p.m.

I owned every console and handheld from the last generation and the current one, waited overnight at a mall on Black Friday in 2006 for a Wii, and I can't get excited about this thing: 1) As many have said, atrocious launch lineup. Nothing that came out inspired me to run out and buy a 3DS. On top of that, Nintendo royally screwed itself by not making Pokemon B/W a 3DS exclusive. 2) The games that ARE coming out are the same damn games that I already played 15 years ago. Show me an amazing game that would be impossible without 3D, and I will get excited. The recession has killed any tolerance for straight remakes that I might have had. 3) My iDevices can fill a wider variety of roles. A 3DS plays 3D Nintendo games, and that's about it. An iPad can fill in as a game system, portable DVD player, or Web-surfing computer. 4) The battery. I have a daily 2-hour total commute that can stretch out to 3+ hours if traffic is bad (which is usually is). Reports that the battery barely lasts 3 hours = a device which is worthless in its intended capacity. 5) $250 price point in the middle of a recession + no good launch games + nothing but rehashes on the horizon + lousy battery + total disregard of iOS competition = FAIL. I'll stick to my DS Lite and iDevices. I don't hate the idea of the 3DS, but as currently presented, it's just not for me.
  • LSZ - April 27, 2011 7:44 p.m.

I'll maybe pick up a 3DS whenever the next line of them comes out. By that time, there will be a better games library and we'll know where the NGP is worth a damn or not. There was almost no reason to buy one right away.
  • HumorTumor - April 27, 2011 7:38 p.m.

I'm very happy with my 3DS. Sure it may not have a ton of games for it now. But it's a great machine and SSFIV is a fantastic game. 3.6 isn't a terrible number for a month or so. But we'll just have to wait and see at the year total. I know a lot of people are holding out for when the next batch of games comes out.
  • db1331 - April 27, 2011 7:35 p.m.

Let me go all Michael Pachter here and "predict" that Nintendo will see a significant spike in 3DS sales when Ocarina comes out.
  • Stripeless - April 27, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Hah, I take it that last statement is a joke.
  • Crabhand - April 27, 2011 7:16 p.m.

@BigKingBud Over the course of several years, not two weeks. It would be more accurate to compare two week sales of the first DS.
  • Z-man427 - April 27, 2011 7:09 p.m.

I bought one on release day because I didn't have a DS(i)(XL) and there were some really great DS games that I wanted to play. For someone who already has a DS, it's not currently a good buy, btu for someone who doesn't and is planning on getting the good games that release in the next few months, playing DS games until then (which honestly don't look all that terrible when upscaled), it's a better move than buying a DS and then shelling out an additional $250 for a 3DS when the likes of Kid Icarus, Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 3D drop. Yeah, the price point is high and the launch lineup sucks, but AR is pretty fun, Face Raiders is pretty fun and the backwards compatibility makes it so that you can use it and enjoy it. Also, SSFIV3D is fun to play on the commode.
  • Siion - April 27, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Give me a better line up and cheaper games then i will be interested. Otherwise this is to expensive for me personally.
  • Letter11 - April 27, 2011 6:59 p.m.

Like many have said here, I think it's just the lack of interest in the launch line-up. With so many promised quality games on the horizon, sales will pick up again. But 3.6 million isn't that bad is it?