Topics

price drop

• Cwf2008 - June 20, 2013 11:36 a.m.

They need to try to regain support from the more hardcore crowds rather than pander to the more casual gamers. Or at least make it clear that it's not just an add-on. For the longest time I thought it was just an accessory, not an entirely new console.
  • GOD - June 20, 2013 11:29 a.m.

They need more commercials and ads. Gamers for the most part already know what a Wii U is, but I never see any kind of ads for the system or it's games, so I doubt that the mainstream market knows jack diddly about it.
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 1:51 p.m.

I agree here... Which is weird, because Nintendo did the complete opposite with the Wii. Their marketing campaign was a fucking behemoth, and even though I never liked the Wii; I had to give Nintendo respect points because out of the three companies, they were the ones that advertised the best. Which really makes you wonder why they didn't do the same thing for the Wii U...
  • GOD - June 20, 2013 1:54 p.m.

If anything the Wii U needs it more than the Wii because they have to distinguish it from the Wii. Otherwise the huge market they built with Wii just thinks that Nintendo released a tablet with a buttons for the system they already have.
  • slimjim441 - June 20, 2013 11:27 p.m.

I work at Best Buy, and I can tell you I've had countless people come in asking questions like, 'What is the Wii-U?' 'Does it actually do different stuff than the normal Wii?' or my favorite, 'You mean it's not just a new controller thingy?' The fact that no one knows what it is/does is bad. The fact that most people don't even recognize it as a fully developed console should be embarrassing. Now come to think of it, I don't think I've even seen a Wii-U commercial myself besides the little advertisements in the store that loop every 15 minutes. Nintendo has done horrible job with the U's marketing, and they need to do something about it. Honestly, as much as I'd like one (it is the reason I'm still holding out), a price-cut wouldn't be the best idea for them during the U's present status. Nobody would notice; nobody would care; me and probably 200 or so other people would think, 'cool, now I'm not wasting money on a half-baked next-gen console.' Rant aside, I'm getting a Wii-U the minute The Wind Waker HD releases. Or if by chance we get a dark horse Metroid game first, which seems to be what everyone else here is waiting for, too.
  • BurntToShreds - June 20, 2013 3:11 p.m.

What I find ridiculous is that around the time it became clear that the WiiU wasn't living up to Nintendo's expectations, they didn't do much. In fact, they decided to release more commercials for 3DS games like Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. To be fair I guess those games needed that attention, but it still makes no sense as to why I have not seen any advertisements for the WiiU. They still have a good amount of money; how hard could it be to release a 30-40-second ad that talks about what the WiiU does and that it's a brand new console?
  • C.King - June 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

"wii would like to play" needs to come back
  • LEGOMatrix - June 20, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Wii would like U to play! Please!?
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 10:57 a.m.

"Nintendo president hopes to attract more third party support for console " Funny, considering how a lot of third party publishers have just announced that they are flocking away/reducing support for the Wii U...
  • PatHan-bHai - June 20, 2013 10:13 a.m.

Wii U Little :P
  • Tjwoods18 - June 20, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Do you ever think that if Nintendo got into a big enough bind that they would consider a merger with Sony?
  • Tjwoods18 - June 20, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Hypothetical, so don't blow a gasket.
  • PatHan-bHai - June 20, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Hmmm.............that might be good but Nin's and Son's Father-Son relationship won't help matter much :P
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Not to mention that this particular father and son dynamic is one in which the father ridiculed and disowned the son in public, the son bowed to be greater than the father, and THEN beat the father in their own business, only to follow on the father's same mistakes and fall because of hubris. And funnily enough, both dad and son are following more or less the same philosophies and principles but still refuse to acknowledge each other.... Y'know, I think I just hit gold sitcom material right here :D
  • PatHan-bHai - June 20, 2013 11:10 a.m.

Same here! :P But it still somehow sounds suspiciously like Tekken. Or some extremely crazy anime ;)
  • BladedFalcon - June 20, 2013 11:24 a.m.

...Lmao, so would that make Nintendo Heiachi, and Sony Kazuya? XD ...That actual makes a terrifying amount of sense >>; Hold on... does that mean that MS would be Lee Chaolan? y'know, the foster son wannabe magnate that always ends up being comic relief? :P
  • PatHan-bHai - June 20, 2013 1:21 p.m.

Excellent!! :P
  • shawksta - June 20, 2013 1:49 p.m.

DAMN, Stop nailing roles so damn perfectly, you crook you XD Lee also had "Violet" persona, which would represent Microsoft's 2faced nature XD Speaking of which, whatever happened to that "Console Wars" shenanigans anime about some guy whose supposed to symbol Mario Owning a Kingdom representing Nintendo with what is apparently the protag being a immature teen representing Sonic and Sega? And last I checked, wasn't that domain name owned by Sony? What happened to that? Is it dead!?
  • Talvari - June 20, 2013 9:24 a.m.

God dammit i hate the term "Killer App" ;.; I still think the Wii U has a perfectly fine price point. Sales come about all the time, at least in the UK that put it well below the RRP. Typically see the deluxe hit £199-229 during some sales which honestly if you still complain about the price at that price then..lawd help you. Buuutt they do need to market it better. And i guess a name change would be awkward at this point. Though i wouldn't mind if they changed it slightly. Hopefully the new games coming out soon will boost the sales and get people to be aware of this product.
  • shawksta - June 20, 2013 9:17 a.m.

Nintendo as usual taking the blame for their mistakes. I REALLY think its the name, "Wii U" already confused a bunch of people that its not a new system but rather an add on