• J-spit - August 5, 2009 6:52 p.m.

I thought I was the only Sagat player online! Whenever people get Ken I reach for the Demon of Muay Thai!!! TIGER!!! @Diamondis
  • constantino10598 - March 22, 2009 12:28 a.m.

beat a perfect first round using el fuerte against ken, second round all this guy is doing is jump away from me, laughing with his mic on, yeah so sad i can't chase him... what's worse, he emailed me... with a subject: LOSER. Pathetic. If I can only do a real guacamole kick on him. His ps3 id is el_miguelito btw, watch out for this jerk.
  • ephekt - March 20, 2009 5:51 p.m.

"any good techniques for punishing a DP-spammer?" Stop jumping in and block on wake up? Think about it. When does he hit you with the DP? Stop putting yourself in that situation.
  • ephekt - March 20, 2009 5:44 p.m.

I agree with most of the points here, but 6, 8 and 10 are garbage. 6 - I agree with invisible character selection, but keep in mind that most tournies allow counter picks. 8 - I don't intentionally fake out players, but sometimes it takes me a round to fully adapt to some scrub throwing random crap at random times. Yomi and all; players who play erratically (due to being bad) can fool better players into being punished, at least initially. 10 - No, throws really aren't cheap. Tick throws have been a part of these games for a long time, and are easy enough to tech or simply avoid if you know what you're doing. I want to stamp out this scrub mentality that just because an opponent does something YOU can't defend against, it should be banned or proclaimed as cheep. If you allow your opponent to throw you over and over, your game needs some serious work. You should address that instead of expect your opponent to stop winning. I love when some scrub whines about throws online, because from that point on I make it my mission to throw him as much as possible. So, please, keep crying foul on throws. It provides me with great entertainment in what would probably be an otherwise boring match. --------------- "Aww c'mon, I only go Ken because I genuinely feel that i'm good with him." The problem with Ken, aside from him not being very good in 4, is that every scrub online picks him. Ken isn't horrible, but you should know that by choosing Ken you're telegraphing 99% of your game play. You have to be pretty good to win consistently with Ken against good players.
  • Ravenbom - March 16, 2009 5:11 a.m.

@cernunnos patience is the best way to hit a Dragon Punch spammer. He might set up a fireball string to get you to jump in, and then he'll Dragon Punch as you jump in to him. So, just take one step between fireballs, jump straight up over the fireballs, then one step forward, then jump straight up... He'll miss a Dragon Punch, then on the way down you can punish him for being a douche bag.
  • legory - March 15, 2009 8:40 p.m.

Sakura FTW. Zangiefs make her cry, though. :'<
  • milliman24 - March 15, 2009 8 p.m.

YO MAMA ha ha lolz!
  • Cernunnos - March 15, 2009 1:25 p.m.

disregard my previous post, i just got my ass handed to me by a damn DP-spamming Ken. seriously, it was DP all the way, no other attacks whatsoever. any good techniques for punishing a DP-spammer?
  • Shoryuken - March 15, 2009 5:07 a.m.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html Good game.
  • raxafrax - March 14, 2009 3:57 p.m.

the author is a cry baby. pick who you want and throw untill your heart is content. learn to deal with cheap tactics. this article is for the player who likes to make excuses. as for the one round thing, you have a choice to join or not. ranked matches are nothing but cheap tactics. get used to it. if not play player matches.
  • T0M95 - March 13, 2009 7:16 p.m.

SFIV sucks Let the flaming begin! naah i havnt playd it im sure theres loads of reasons y u guys all love it. im just generally bad at fighters and end up button mashing (how do u remember so many combos?!) and everybody gets annoyed with me :) Re-captcha: SFIV sucks (naah it was tanker Seabright(wtf?(:P)))
  • iluvmyDS - March 13, 2009 4:32 p.m.

Typically I play with my friends since most people online are douchebags, or I play my single player RPGs.
  • asiantom - March 13, 2009 3:38 p.m.

1. After getting past a BP rating of 2000, I hardly fight the scrubby Kens that HP DP on wake up everytime. It's their choice to play Ken and that's fine with me. Concerning the comment: "...if Capcom were to put Battle Point penalties for repeatedly selecting the same character, we wouldn't have to complain." The Japanese players are very into picking on character and 'mastering them'. I've always liked the idea because through thick and thin they'll play that character. 2. I'll agree with this, but you have time in the pre-match lobby to double check the round and time. So if you're in match-making and scrambling to get into a match before you get the room full message, you can always check before hitting Ready. 6. The game is very well balanced. Far more balanced then a lot of the past Street Fighters. Sort of touching back on my number 1. comment, people should play one character and learn how to deal with their tougher match ups. A good player with adapt and destroy some blanka if he knows how to go into the match. 8. I'll agree with this one, but it's no uncommon for a good player to sit back the first round and see what their opponent is capable of. As for being misleading and tricking the opponent into thinking jumping in is safe and all that, well you should adapt to whatever starts happening. If you jump in and gets DPed, well then you know not to jump in again. 10. I will argue, throwing is NOT cheap. When I start a block string (you call it spamming) I will try to throw. It's the smart thing to do. You always have time to see it coming too. You're complaint about this is definitely premature and you just need to practice and develop an eye for that tactic. Also, if you're in a block string and you're afraid of a throw, tap LP and LK when you're crouch blocking. You won't whiff the throw, you'll continue blocking and if they do throw you'll tech it. Like I said, I think you're complaints are premature and you should take more time with it. Also, good article, you got me to register and you made me realize I could install games onto my 360 :X
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 13, 2009 9:24 a.m.

AzRedsk1n: What Rockman said. There are a few people in the office who can happily use a 360 pad, but even they admit that it's definitely not 100% accurate. Personally I can't use one without jumping in the wrong direction half the time and fluffing my move/combo timings quite a lot. So I basically don't use one. Even if you can manage with one (and like I said, some people can), once you've used an arcade stick for a few days you won't ever be able to go back. The flow of control, accessibility of the button layout and extra thinking time you get when you know you can pull off everything you want to order just make it a whole new game. And yes, if an SFIV tourny gets organised I am TOTALLY down with playing the winners. :) No wethers here! Keep us posted!
  • lordofultima - March 13, 2009 6:11 a.m.

Also, Shifty1001 is a crybaby. Learn to play, attacks can beat throws, spamming them is even easier than throwing.
  • lordofultima - March 13, 2009 6:08 a.m.

Tick throws are a great tactic, how in the hell is that cheap? I've really lost faith in GamesRadar.
  • GreyGhost - March 13, 2009 4:03 a.m.

Ummm ... the game is called Street Fighter ... That implies no rules ... I don't throw very much but it is a part of the game ...
  • AzRedsk1n - March 13, 2009 3:38 a.m.

Im getting this game for 360, Will i need to buy some Special controller/pad in order to compete online. Ive heard the xbox d-pad is terrible, and i agree, but will using the reg. controller affect my gameplay that much? id be nice if some GR SF4 pro could answer this. thx
  • battenfelder - March 13, 2009 3:32 a.m.

im probably the worst SFIV player in the universe! good game though. i usually play as Ryu or El Fuerte! i have probably only been in 3 online matches. i won the 1st, then was compleatly violated in the next two. but i was amazed that in only 3 fights ive seen more than half of this list online! :)
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - March 13, 2009 1:17 a.m.

There's actually an HD Remix tourney happening now in the forums, winner fights someone from GR. Maybe if someone puts together an SF IV version we'd play the winner?