• Talvari - November 14, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Don't really get why this is so hype building looking at the trailer, but then again i never really got into the GTA series much. Always preferred its less serious neighbour Saints Row. Maybe once more information is revealed about it i'll become interested but i never thought this type of game should be serious about a story. We'll see T.T
  • zombi3grim - November 14, 2012 1:53 p.m.

The Godfather, The Sopranos, Scarface. All those gangster movies have INCREDIBLE stories and their ALL about story and thats what GTA is based on. Why would you think this "type" of game shouldnt be serious about a story?
  • Talvari - November 14, 2012 5:54 p.m.

Movies are pretty different from games >.> I wouldn't personally compare the importance of a story in a movie to the story in a game. It's just my opinion that in an open world style game, like the GTA series, where you often will get sidetracked a tonne by option content, the storyline in my opinion shouldn't be a key focus. Just a personal gripe brah :/
  • zombi3grim - November 15, 2012 5:18 a.m.

Games can convey the same emotional response as movies. So their not THAT different. GTA more often then not has the same type of story as those movies. If you get sidetracked by the optional content, and not focused on the story, thats not the games fault, thats your fault. So your personal gripe is with yourself, brah :/
  • Talvari - November 15, 2012 10:02 a.m.

I'm not comparing movies to games here, sorry :P Guess what i'm trying to get across is that in a sandbox game, the game will probably encourage doing the optional parts of the games be it side mission, collectables or unloackables by giving a reward. A sandbox style game wouldn't be fun in my opinion if the entire world wasn't open to you from the get go because of some story mission blocking you from going somewhere for example. If there's a really good story at hand that grips the player, chances are they'll want to pursue it to find out what happens next and they'll end up completing the main story part of the game quickly without doing the optional stuff. Personally i just feel like it's difficult to find the balance in this type of game because you make a large world for the player to explore and then add a serious story so pacing could be off, the player might do a bunch of optional stuff and forget what happened. Things like that.
  • zombi3grim - November 15, 2012 10:41 a.m.

But thats not the case and has never been the case with GTA games. The main story has always been excellent. Its difficult to balance, but Rockstar HAS balanced it. So to think an open world sandbox game shouldnt have a serious story is a little unorthodox. The optional side missions and free roam world are there for the player to immerse himself in the city, making the times he DOES play the main missions that much more engrossing. Your logic is flawed. Take a chance with GTA and get into it. You'll find its story rivals alot of RPGs and JRPGs out there.
  • Talvari - November 15, 2012 4:10 p.m.

I suppose i haven't played enough of the GTA series to make proper statements regarding the story since i've only played GTA1 / san andreas + vice city but you're not going to convince me to take a chance on it by making generalisations about the game >.>. I'm not trying to state facts incase you haven't realised. It's all my own opinion like yours. I don't play these games for the story because, like i've said, i don't think they should be a focus point of the game. I'll perhaps borrow it one day from a friend to see what the fuss is about and to see if the story truely compares with RPG / JRPGs (though they have their fair share of bad storylines as well ;P).
  • zombi3grim - November 15, 2012 8:35 p.m.

Im not making any generalisations. Im just reiterating what you said. You cant fault a game because someone plays it a certain way. Thats not the games fault. You cant fault its story because you dont think it should have a serious one. Again, not the games fault. If you like gangster movies, which not everyone does, then you will love the GTA games. You can deff. play it like a wild lunatic going nuts on the streets and just killing hookers. But to really get into the meat of it (pun not intended with the hooker statement) you need to play the main story and engross yourself in it. You'll change your attitude about it, trust me.
  • FlyinHawaiian13 - November 14, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Rockstar bringing back the crazy I love it lol. GIVE ME GROVE STREET DLC
  • 7-D - November 14, 2012 11:15 a.m.

Never really been a huge GTA fan (even though I own and have clocked a couple of them), but this looks pretty decent actually. Loving the tune choice.
  • Redeater - November 14, 2012 11:35 a.m.

I'm excited. My favorite GTA protagonist was Tommy and this older white guy has a very Tommy-like vibe to him. Plus....Lynch done right? Well that's just the cherry on top.
  • bron1417 - November 14, 2012 12:01 p.m.

That was awesome!! Rockstar always does good work on these things though. I like the interplay between the 3 characters and am excited to see how this is going to go.
  • Tranquilbez34 - November 14, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Holy Shit! this looks incredible, I'm gonna wait until a special edition gets announced and pre-order that :)
  • dcobs123 - November 14, 2012 12:21 p.m.

I'm loving all this, the characters, the music, the action, the DOGS! I'm hyped.
  • Swole - November 14, 2012 12:25 p.m.

gotta get it bring me sum action like havin your pet walk wit u n he b able to attack people n stuff n more gangs n bad bitches... n oooo ya have it so u can get buff n stuff n big blunts lol
  • winner2 - November 14, 2012 1:09 p.m.

1:40 was priceless. Really looking forward to this.
  • sk8r7 - November 14, 2012 2:45 p.m.

did i just see the see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil at the very end?
  • Dingleberrypiez - November 14, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Ugh... the same cliched and derivative characters, melodramatic voice acting, and terrible script. Despite the amazing sandbox world, I just can't get excited for this if it's as retarded as GTA IV. Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way...
  • winner2 - November 15, 2012 6:30 a.m.

You sound like a real connoisseur. Name a game similar to this series but done much better (in your opinion) and it'll help me understand you.
  • Dingleberrypiez - November 15, 2012 8:30 a.m.

I concede that GTA has always been the best sandbox style game I've played. In terms of characters and scripts, I would point to the Mass Effect series (and bioware rpgs in general) as an example of story and characters done right. GTA just seems like a silly riff on every gangster plot every made, only taking itself waaay to seriously with poor voice acting. I mean, come on, how heavy handed is the Michael characters character development in the trailer? Oh, he's rich, but he's got problems.... see his wife and daughter? You know she's trouble from the tramp stamp.... Is that supposed to make his character complicated and developed? He's rich but not perfect? I'm sorry, this is just generic spoon fed poor character development. Maybe I'm wrong (which would be great), but Rockstar's track record with past GTA titles is not solid in the story, character, or voice acting department. I'll likely still buy GTA 5, but I'm just interested if someone shares my opinion.
  • Drphil17 - November 15, 2012 9:17 a.m.

First of all the voice acting in every GTA is amazing. Some of the best voice acting in a games I don't see how it's poor at all. And you call the characters generic but what do you want from a game focused on crime? There's only but so much you can do. Everything in GTA is essentially a parody. And seeing how these 3 characters work together will be fun. Or at least that's what I think. Idk I just feel like you're complaining and not seeing the big picture that gta is about the world and them capturing what out society is like in an exaggerated way.
  • winner2 - November 15, 2012 12:13 p.m.

I agree about the story aspect and perhaps character (not as much so), but remember that GTA does things in a world much more realistic than say Mass Effect. Mass Effect has you saving the galaxy from an unstoppable threat, pretty much as grand as it gets. You can't have the same grand story with a game about 3 dysfunctional criminals that just happened to run into each other. As for voice acting, I don't know what to say as I've never been keen on scrutinizing after it gets to a point I feel is pretty ok. If the game isn't just flat out horrible voice acting wise compared to everything else (going by my standards) then I don't even think about it.
  • Fox_Mulder - November 14, 2012 8:30 p.m.

Awesome trailer. TONS of info in there. Well done R*