Topics

Great Debate

• Manguy17 - August 16, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Gosh Justin, I never looked at mario as a serial killer before, this changes everything...
  • BladedFalcon - August 16, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Hah! A debate that has been a long, long time coming if you ask me. Also, I loved the exchanges, though I think henry inevitably wins this one. I mean, try as hard as he might, Justin can never justify or make claims that equals Mario's greatest achievements, at least not in and equivalent way. (like when Towell tried to brag about sonic having an RPG developed by Bioware, even though the quality of the game is not unanimously great, and even then, it can't even compete with the SMRPG and the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi series, all of which are stellar.) That, and there's also the fact that Henry just pointed out the things that actually matter, like actual game design, innovation and gameplay, and Justin just tried to undermine that by trying to highlight Sonic's "coolness", which kinda proves the point that Sonic really is more about style rather than substance. So yeah, at the end of the day, despite how "dumpy" mario looks, it's all the more impressive that he has managed to be the mainstay and icon that he is while Sonic feels more like the simpsons nowadays. Cool at one point, but overstaying it's welcome, and every time a new entry arrives, even the fans wish they could just let the franchise die already so they can mourn it properly.
  • Sjoeki - August 16, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Let's get the flamewars going again guys! I for one enjoyed both, I started with a NES as a little kid and loved the hell out of mario, then I bought a Megadrive and enjoyed the shit out of sonic. A friend of mine had a SNES and sometimes we exchanged consoles for a weekend so I could get my mario on and he had his fun with Sonic. What's next? Xbox/Playstation? Blondes/Brunettes? Pc/Consoles?
  • phate - August 16, 2012 2:23 p.m.

Sonic all the way!
  • Moondoggie1157 - August 16, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Hell of a discussion, when it comes to the actual points being made, it's a pretty close call. BUT, in the end my personal bias draws a winner, and that man is Justin. Sonic will forever be my homeboy, and no husky plumber or inter-species love fest will ever change that.
  • KidJustKid - August 16, 2012 2:25 p.m.

^THIS, and I don't even care who wins ^_^