Topics

Great Debate

We Recommend

• PhantasyPopStar - August 17, 2012 6:58 a.m.

mario and somic suck. iphones are better
  • Shnubby - August 17, 2012 8 a.m.

An iphone is not a video game character.
  • PhantasyPopStar - August 17, 2012 8:15 a.m.

ya'd like that wouldn't ya!
  • ilovesonic - August 17, 2012 12:25 p.m.

@PhantasyPopStar: First of all, you need to learn how to spell. Second, iphones are NOT video game characters! Third, iphone games lack incredibly in gameplay unlike the consoles. Fourth, Sonic and Mario are both fantastic series. Your argument is invalid!
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:50 a.m.

Amen! But, Sonic would pwn Mario anytime. Sure, he'd put up a good fight, but Sonic would win. And why would someone think an iPhone is a VG character? Hmm...Anyways, Mario does have a good series, and so does Sonic. But, ilovesonic, as you may know, I like Sonic too, and belive he is a boss.
  • spankyj25 - August 17, 2012 6:54 a.m.

Had this article been written in 1998, Sonic wins. Hands down. Mario was great, but Sonic had the edginess that made him so much more fun as a protagonist. JT had some great points, but I have to agree with the other comments that state he was fighting a losing battle. Mario is by far the more endearing and enduring character. While I love Sonic (especially pre-speech versions) There's no denying that Almost everything Mario touches turns to gold (Even Mario's Tennis was the best game on the Virtual Boy!), while Sonic has struggled to keep gamers interested in anything that he doesn't star with a bunch of other Sega, or even Nintendo, characters to help shoulder the responsibility of entertainment. Mario FTW IMO BTW...Sorry, texting with my teenager has damaged me. ;-)
  • Cloudiology - August 17, 2012 6:47 a.m.

AND HENRY! sonic blew up multiple death eggs on the planet Mobius, not earth. ya big spaaaa! if you're gonna pick on sonic. get your facts straight! 8p
  • Cloudiology - August 17, 2012 6:44 a.m.

JUSTIN FTW!
  • AuthorityFigure - August 17, 2012 6:22 a.m.

Let me take on the position in a rebuttal that Bonk is better than both, please. Believe me, the arguments for Bonk are incredibly persuasive.
  • Shinn - August 17, 2012 6:02 a.m.

I've played a lot of Mario games over the years, and I honest think they're all just as average as Sonic games. Neither are great, both are reasonably entertaining, but I prefer Sonic.
  • KA87 - August 17, 2012 5:53 a.m.

That was really cool, do you think you could make these debate format articles a weekly mainstay on GR? Next week you could do something like: Saints Row V GTA Fallout V Elder Scrolls. Leon Kennedy V Chris Redfield Cloud V Lighting Alien V Predator LOL
  • FOZ - August 17, 2012 11:15 a.m.

They're only doing it because it's Mario week. Vs. "debates" are generally mentally bankrupt.
  • Tranquilbez34 - August 17, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Sorry Justin, as much as I like Justin. Hank the'Mother Effing' Tamks agruements for Mario (and aginst sonic are more convincing)
  • RedDeadOcelot - August 17, 2012 4:25 a.m.

As much as I love Sonic and grew up on his games, Mario is better because his games are consistently well received and innovative. The mighty has fallen and I accept that.
  • slimjim441 - August 17, 2012 2:09 a.m.

I love them both, and I think they actually make a pretty good foil for each other, much like Superman and Batman. But just as Batman will always have the one-up on Superman, Mario will always just be better than Sonic. Plus, Mega Man beats them both anyway. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 3D Blast Sonic's first 3D game? Doesn't really matter; that game was awful.
  • Clovin64 - August 17, 2012 1:21 a.m.

I prefer Mario games, but I'm pretty damn impressed Towelly managed to hold his own in a losing battle. I salute you Towell-bot!
  • DirkSteele1 - August 17, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Back in the 90's I was Sonic all the way (which is why I voted as such) but now I enjoy both their games, especially the games from the 16 Bit era. I did like the argument over which was more "Super." Super Sonic is in a different Galaxy compared to Super Mario.
  • codystovall - August 16, 2012 11:33 p.m.

The only thing I ever actually love/like of mario is paper mario(mariokart is enjoyable though) which just makes me think there should be a paper sonic in the next paper mario game.
  • RODTheMaster - August 16, 2012 10:23 p.m.

I assumed that Towell had an uphill battle for this one, but the man held his own; He was clearly the victor. Great article, gentlemen. I havent laughed so hard at a GRticle in a while.
  • SenatorPepper - August 16, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Poor Justin! It was never a real contest: People of his island race prefer Sonic over Mario due to a genetic inability to understand what makes games great. Hence why they care about soccer.
  • shawksta - August 16, 2012 9:48 p.m.

I just noticed, you SHOULD REALLY update your icon pic Justin, your shorter hair in the article caught me off guard l,always assuming you kept the long hair! Again, Fantastically hilarious Debate guys, I wonder what should be next, Crash vs Spyro? SNES vs PS2? Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney? Paper Mario vs Mario and Luigi? I don't know im just throwing random ideas!
  • SenatorPepper - August 16, 2012 9:59 p.m.

He really should, cause DAMN, that dude is looking FINE.